• Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Netscapes is back!

Netscape browser attempts a comeback

By ANICK JESDANUN

The page describing security functions of Netscape 8.0 is viewedwith Netscape8.0 in this image permitted by Netscape. The Netscape browser is trying to make a comeback by combining the best elements of two leading rivals. (AP Photo/Netscape)
    NEW YORK (AP) -- The once-mighty Netscape browser is attempting a comeback.

How, you ask? Simple. By combining the best elements of its two leading rivals.

Netscape is out with a test release of version 8.0, and the new browser is nothing like its recent predecessors, which were mostly about fixing bugs and playing catch-up.

I just wish Netscape didn't constantly try to dispatch me to content from its developer, America Online Inc., or its partners. But more on that later.

More than 90 percent of the world's surfing is still done on Microsoft Corp.'s Internet Explorer, but many users complain of its numerous security vulnerabilities and lack of modern features like tabbed browsing, which lets you visit multiple Web sites without opening multiple browser windows.

Enter Mozilla Firefox, which debuted last fall to much fanfare. It lacks many of the IE features, like ActiveX, which is often blamed for enabling security breaches, and with its relatively low usage, malicious hackers don't target Firefox as much. But some sites won't work with Firefox because they need the IE features.

The new Netscape, which is only available for Windows PCs, addresses the quandary through a regularly updated list of "good" and "bad" sites.

If Netscape deems a site good, a green shield appears and the browser displays the site using the IE software engine that is built into Windows. Netscape figures such sites present little security risk, so why not enable all the features?

I succeeded in accessing Microsoft's Windows Update site along with the advanced features of my company's Web-based Outlook e-mail, neither of which works with Firefox.

Netscape displays a yellow shield when a site is absent from its list. In such cases, deeming Firefox safer, Netscape uses a Firefox engine that is embedded in Netscape's software.

Red shields along with a warning page appear when sites are on the bad list.

Not only does Netscape use Firefox, thus disabling ActiveX, but it also blocks that site from leaving data trackers called "cookies" and turns off support for Java and JavaScript, which can launch programs designed to steal information or perform other nasty tricks.

In this sense, Netscape is safer than Firefox or IE alone. I ran on all three browsers a site that tries to steal AOL billing information, and only Netscape successfully blocked the program from running.

Whether Netscape uses Firefox or IE, the site appears within the Netscape environment, and you always have access to tabbed browsing. You get IE's functionality and Firefox's security when you need them most.

Netscape also sports "multibars," a way to cram the equivalent of 10 toolbars into the space of a single one. Just click on "1," "2" and so on to switch among them. Each is customizable with whatever features you happen to want. Choose from Netscape's preprogrammed tools, like news headlines or maps, or add your own using Really Simple Syndication, or RSS, a technology for pulling content from sites (A bug that's supposed to be fixed before the final release in the next several weeks currently prevents you from fully doing so, though).

I particularly liked the feature that lets you check Web-based e-mail from Netscape, AOL, Excite, Gmail, Hotmail, Lycos, Mail.com or Yahoo. You get automatically logged in with a single click, though for now you don't get alerts for new mail. I did have occasional problems with the auto sign-in, but found the tool useful overall.

Netscape also sports a few improvements to Firefox: It's easier to open and close tabs and to instantly clear sensitive information like Web sites visited.

And while Firefox has a tool for remembering passwords, Netscape automatically logs you in.

My one major fault with Netscape is, however, a show stopper.

Most of its tools are geared toward generating traffic for AOL properties. The maps tool gets you MapQuest, the movies tool reaches Moviefone. Weather gets you AOL partner WeatherBug.

AOL says other companies, such as Yahoo Inc. and Fandango, are free to develop tools for Netscape, but that'll take time, limiting choice in the meantime. And while some of the third-party add-ons already developed for Firefox may work with Netscape, the ones I tried didn't.

Likewise, the built-in search box automatically runs Netscape's search engine, unlike Firefox, which lets you easily switch among Google, Yahoo and four others, while letting you add hundreds more.

The tools for the other engines weren't done in time for the test release, and even so, switching is more complicated with Netscape.

So until I get more choice, I plan on sticking with Firefox, even if it means occasionally having to run IE for those sites that need it.

On the Net:

• Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

So far I've just played with it a little but from what I've seen so far its a pretty nice app....and coming from me that's saying something as I've never like Netscape's browser

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
      • Jan 2002

Interesting... I use to be a big Netscape junky but over the years saw it dwindling away. IE just works so much better with everything and I have had no problems to speak of.

It would be nice to see something different that has more functionality though. Maybe this will end up being the key.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Sonnie the nice thing about this browser is that it is IE for the most part...just with a different skin. For any site you can tell it which broswer code to use IE or Firefox but in both cases you gain the added features of tabbed browsing etc

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Same for me Sonnie. I was a Netscape fanboy and couldn't stand IE, but over time had to switch just based on functionality.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Shane Martin
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2001

After dealing with Netscapes' bugs so much I switched over to IE and now Firefox and with the Firefox tweaks I've put into it, I won't go back to anything else.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Yeah, I like Firefox a lot, too, but do have to use IE on occasion.
              My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"