X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hired goon
    • Aug 2004

HTPC advice

G'day,

I was thinking about buying a DVD recorder with a HDD, but it seems that a HTPC may be the better option. My needs are receiving standard definition digital TV, a PVR, a music server for .mp3 and .wav files, and a remote to control all operations.

However, I know next to nowt about HTPC. I'm aware of front-ends such as mythTV, and TV tuner cards for receiving SD and HD transmissions, but not enough about connecting it all together, and whether such a system will yield comparable sound/video quality to my current Rotel system (not much point making a music server if it sounds crappy).

Can anyone point to some useful links, or offer advice?

--Geoff
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Personally I'd get one of the motherboards with Soundstorm chips onboard audio that encodes DD for everything (games, windows sounds, movies... everything :P ) for general use. Then add a decent soundcard that would allow you to to output to a Benchmark DAC1 to upsamle your audio and remove jitter from the signal. As a side note, do not use mp3 for your audio if at all possible. Use lossless formats please, your ears will thank you.

You should be able to get as good of performance video-wise as a good upsampling DVD player. A good Video card from Nvidia or ATI output in DVI and yoor good to go.

Seems like you're already aware of TV tuners etc.

Here's a couple of helpful threads re: HTPC's that have been started here:

Discussion of HTPC systems and products, DVD drives, system configuration issues, personal computing and gaming systems of all kinds including internet applications, other peripheral devices, and game consoles.

Discussion of HTPC systems and products, DVD drives, system configuration issues, personal computing and gaming systems of all kinds including internet applications, other peripheral devices, and game consoles.

Last edited by theSven; 09 March 2023, 18:36 Thursday. Reason: Update URLs for htguide
    Jason

Comment

• hired goon
      • Aug 2004

G'day,

Originally posted by aud19
      Personally I'd get one of the motherboards with Soundstorm chips onboard audio that encodes DD for everything (games, windows sounds, movies... everything :P ) for general use.
      Why would I want to encode everything to DD? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

Then add a decent soundcard that would allow you to to output to a Benchmark DAC1 to upsamle your audio and remove jitter from the signal.
      "Decent soundcard" is the question. I guess I'm looking for a soundcard that has 2 x digital out: one for PCM (to send to a DAC), and one for AC3/DTS (to send to my pre-amp).

Then again, why not a sound card with a vacuum tube :-)

A Benchmark DAC1 is about AUD$1500 in Australia, which would be about the same cost as the HTPC itself. Any opinions one the m-Audio 24/96 DAC, which I can get for about AUD$350?

--Geoff

Comment

• Gordon Moore
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Feb 2002

Why would I want to encode everything to DD? What are the advantages and disadvantages?
        No real disadvantages except that all 2-channel sources would be encoded into true 5.1 surround sound.

However, for MP3's, 2-channel and DVD's...an n-force board offers nothing.

I guess the disadvantage would be that you may not like the encoders placement of sound.

The m-Audio 24/96 has been a long time standard of HTPC users and is a good card to consider.

Personally I'd look for this card (also 24/96)

Maddog Entertainer 7.1 review

Superb DAC's and cheap to boot!

Only 1 X S/PDIF out and 1 X S/PDIF in though...
        Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• taz13
          • Jun 2004

And after getting and trying Windows Media Center edition 2005, I think I would recommend it. But I have only had a short time to play with it and am now in at work for the next week.. But sure looks good so far.
          The day is not complete if something new is not learnt.
          Taz/Rick/Richard/Ricardo

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Any game you play, windows sounds (basically anything not originally DD encoded) etc would all have decent DD output. As Gord mentioned the only real downside is if you don't like how it encodes. Also this would mean you wouldn't need a souncard with 2 digital outs. You use the onboard sound's output for passthrough DD/DTS from movies and encoded DD for games etc then have the souncard output via digital to a DAC (yes M-audio is a good one) for any of your music (CD's, MP3's, WAV's etc). If you get a decent soundcard you could even use it for now and upgrade to a DAC later if $$ is a factor (when isn't it, right? )

Here's a link to the thread I started on the Lynx Two as well. It's a Soundcard with DAC comparable to the Benchmark in both souond quality and unfortunately price as well.
            Last edited by theSven; 09 March 2023, 18:38 Thursday. Reason: Update URL for htguide
            Jason

Comment

• hired goon
              • Aug 2004

G'day,

Any game you play, windows sounds (basically anything not originally DD encoded) etc would all have decent DD output.
              I wasn't planning on games or windows sounds for a HTPC, but it may be wise to keep that as an option for the future.

Also this would mean you wouldn't need a souncard with 2 digital outs. You use the onboard sound's output for passthrough DD/DTS from movies and encoded DD for games etc then have the souncard output via digital to a DAC (yes M-audio is a good one) for any of your music (CD's, MP3's, WAV's etc).
              Thanks for the opinion on the m-Audio DAC. I might start out with this DAC, then think about upgrading to the Benchmark DAC1 later.

--Geoff

Comment

• hired goon
                • Aug 2004

G'day,

Backtracking a bit here...

...Then add a decent soundcard that would allow you to to output to a Benchmark DAC1 to upsamle your audio and remove jitter from the signal.
                ... I was all set to use an external DAC, then I wondered why I shouldn't just connect the digital out of the soundcard (passing both PCM and AC3/DTS) to my Rotel RSP-1068 pre-processor. Then I'd be using the DAC in the 1068, rather than an external DAC. And this means only one digital out would be required, rather than two.

I suppose the 1068's DAC may not be as good as the Benchmark DAC1, but it should be just as good as the m-Audio SuperDAC mentioned previously, right?

Although, I dunno if you get pure 2-channel audio from a digital PCM input. I think the 1068 will activate the subwoofer in this case....

--Geoff

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Yup, the 1068 "should" sound comparable to the M-audio but it will depend on the quality of the existing digital output on the PC. The only way to know for sure would be to listen. Though you can always try the existing and add DAC's and/or additional souncards later. That's really the great thing about HTPC's, how flexible and upgradeable they are! And no the 1068 won't compare to the Benchmark, but then again for the extra investment, the DAC1 had better make a difference right?

Also I believe the 1068 has proper pass through and an option to use the sub as well.
                  Jason

Comment

• hired goon
                    • Aug 2004

G'day,

...but it will depend on the quality of the existing digital output on the PC.
                    I'm not sure I understand "quality of existing digital output on the PC" above. Can different soundcards / motherboards produce different digital output for the same digital input (eg, reading a .wav from HDD)? The only case I can think of is if the card / mobo converts the signal from 44khz to 48khz, but are there other differences as well?

Though you can always try the existing and add DAC's and/or additional souncards later. That's really the great thing about HTPC's, how flexible and upgradeable they are!
                    The only problem I can see is if I want to use an external DAC, then I need to separate the 2-channel stream from the AC3/DTS stream, and I can't find any inexpensive soundcards that have 2 x digital out.

Also I believe the 1068 has proper pass through and an option to use the sub as well.
                    I'll have to confirm this, over at Club Rotel.

--Geoff

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"