X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • siberian
    • Dec 2004

Autopatch switching system control

Hi all, here is one I can use some help on. I've built a full distribution system in my house that is truly point to point, every room can send and receive A/V to a central rack in the garage that has an autopatch attached etc.

So, I can do things like send video output from my PC i the office to the living room TV. At the same time I can route DirectTV(which lives in the livingroom) to my office LCD and the bedroom TV. There is an IR distribution system included so my remotes work pretty much everywhere.

Here is my problem, I need a way to remotely control this switching matrix. Originally I wanted to use Crestron stuff and even bought some used equipment on eBay. Unfortunately Crestron has shut out hobbyiests and I can't even download VisionTools Pro or SIMPLE for Windows anymore

So now I am stuck. My goal is to have a simple to use LCD that has my components on the left (DVD, DirectTivo, jukebox etc) and my outputs on the right (Bedroom, Office etc). The user (my wife) would do things like hit 'Tivo' , then press the rooms she wanted it in and then hit an execute button.

House is wired in each room for Gigabit ethernet and there is also an 802.11 mesh across the place. I'm an engineer and can program just about anything with the right tools.

Anyone have any somewhat low-cost ideas? I've though about doing it on a palm-pilot or pocketpc over 802.11 but thats a bit cludgy, I'd prefer to have a remote control style system that is more familiar and locked down.

Alternatively, anyone have SIMPLE for WIndows or VisionToolsPro? I have all this darn crestron gear lying around staring at me, useless

Thanks!
    John-
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi John, welcome to The Guide. :welcome:

Have you looked into the Niles' components for whole house control? They might be better suited to owner-intervention.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• siberian
      • Dec 2004

I did take a look at Niles but did not see an easy way to customize it to handle RS-232 commands that the autopatch requires.

Is it capable of that level of arbitrary coding? I'm not into IR stuff, we like our manufacturer supplied remotes so its really a switching exercise which is BCS over RS232 serial.

Thanks for the response! Definently curious what Niles can do in this dept.
      J

Originally posted by David Meek
      Hi John, welcome to The Guide. :welcome:

Have you looked into the Niles' components for whole house control? They might be better suited to owner-intervention.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

You could use a philips pronto. They come standard with IR but the 6000 and 7000 models can also do RF. I've been programing those units for a few years now and they're very flexible and with the LCD screen you're only limited by your imagination as to the layout you want.

Comment

• siberian
          • Dec 2004

I've been looking at the pronto but how do you get it to do serial? Sounds almost like you have to go Pronto->RF->RF Gateway->IR->LIRC->Linux gateway->Serial?

With Crestron I can go Crestron->RF->RF Gateway->Serial (at least if I can ever get the darn thing programmed!!)

I'd love to use a Pronto, open to tips on how to get LCD presses to eventually yield serial port commands.

Comment

• siberian
            • Dec 2004

Girder looks like an interesting option. I have the crestron software now, time to try to learn it

If that fails I'll probably pick up an IR pronto (everyroom is a part of my IR network) and use Girder and USB-UIRT to control the auto-patch via a host pc.

Or some such thing. Hopefully I can get crestron working, one less component.

Tx!

Originally posted by siberian
            I've been looking at the pronto but how do you get it to do serial? Sounds almost like you have to go Pronto->RF->RF Gateway->IR->LIRC->Linux gateway->Serial?

With Crestron I can go Crestron->RF->RF Gateway->Serial (at least if I can ever get the darn thing programmed!!)

I'd love to use a Pronto, open to tips on how to get LCD presses to eventually yield serial port commands.

Comment

• siberian
              • Dec 2004

Update

Well, I've made some progress on this. I ended up using an old laptop in the garage for a dual-purpose itunes server (controlled via IR) and a switching webserver. The laptop injects itunes audio/video into the matrix for distribution to every room. Its quite a treat to have streaming internet radio as well as 8,000+ songs easily accessible and playing in every room of the house.

For the control side I wrote a webtool that allows me to pick the source and then multiple outputs. Eventually it will control other smart elements that we add like thermostat etc etc etc.

This has been a great interim solution so my wife can actually move the tivo around from room to room.

Finally, I bought the crestron software off a guy on ebay and am in the process of programming my ST-1500 greyscale RF LCD. At that point the laptop control unit becomes 'optional' but I think its going to take awhile to get there...

Anyhow, just a bump on this thread so people can see how its going. Any Crestron guru's out there?

John-

Originally posted by siberian
              Girder looks like an interesting option. I have the crestron software now, time to try to learn it

If that fails I'll probably pick up an IR pronto (everyroom is a part of my IR network) and use Girder and USB-UIRT to control the auto-patch via a host pc.

Or some such thing. Hopefully I can get crestron working, one less component.

Tx!

Comment

• siberian
                • Dec 2004

Ordered my USB-UIRT today and my Pronto 3000 is on its way. Girder here I come!

Thanks Andrew.

John-

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Good luck John :T

Comment

• siberian
                    • Dec 2004

Just got my TSU3000 and this thing ROCKS!

Thanks Andrew, I am so excited. I had my Crestron equipment for 3 months and couldn't even crack into it. 15 minutes with my Pronto and I'm already controlling multiple components and planning my overall storyboard.

Can't wait for my USB-UIRT to come next week

I'll update soon, I have some interesting ideas.

Woohoo!

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"