X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kootenay Dog
    • Aug 2004

HD signal is stretched on my TN50X81

Hello,
    I've been reading this forum for a while and have gained much more info from it - thanks to all. I got the courage and info from here to recently perform a "service menu" level calibration of my old (1999) Toshiba TN50X81 HD RPTV and now remember why i bought it; i hadn't realized how out of wack the picture had become over the years! What a difference - it's like a new TV!

Anyway to my question: i just got a new cable box that provides me with a HD signal so that i can finally make use of that clear picture with TV instead of only DVDs. I have set all the options on the cable box to the correct settings (4:3 picture, 1080i output on the component video cables) but my TV is "stretching" the HD channel images vertically when it switches into HD mode - everyone is tall and skinny. (The CBS logo is oval instead of round, Drew Carry looks like he lost a lot of weight). This does not happen with my DVD player; all widescreen movies play properly. I cannot find any reference to a stretch mode to turn on or off in the manual for my TV.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

KD
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

Depending on the calibration source you use there are some pretty intuitive settings regarding aspect ratio, size settings, etc...There are a couple of peeps in this forum who I am sure know the answer off the top of their heads, your'e set-up disc should should get you going in the right direction until they respond. Avia for certain has samples, with settings, and if you dont see the correct pattern, they will tell you how to correct it. Bob

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

It might be the signal your HD STB is sending and not the TV have you checked it's different output options?

Jason
      Jason

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

KD, are you using the same inputs for all signals to the RPTV? Ie. is your receiver/pre-pro also your video switcher? Or, do you have the DVD and HD signals running into separate inputs? That info will help us on where to look next.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Kootenay Dog
          • Aug 2004

After a couple of hints and a few days searching, i found the solution. I should have saved the thread i found the info on so i could thank the right person; i am using seperate component video inputs for the HDTV box and the DVD input. I didn't realize that this TV "remembers" seperate calibration settings for 1080i vs everything else (480i/p). So a complete re-convergance of the RGB guns when receiving a 1080i signal - compressssing the raster to the correct wide-scren ratio - was required.

1 - went into service mode
          2 - hit 7 to bring up the convergance grid (Not using 'mute')
          3 - press 7 to exit convergance mode without clearing the grid
          4 - adjust the 'HIT' parameter to compress the raster to 16:9
          (This MAJORLY messes up the convergance)
          5 - measure / use strings to grid out the proper spacing
          6 - spend the time to do a accurate major re-convergance of the RGB guns
          7 - forget to save the settings before exiting
          8 - swear a lot
          9 - repeat step 6
          10 - this time save the settings
          11 - have a well deserved beer while enjoying awesome HDTV.
          12 - since you are mostly set up, do a complete re-convergance of the 4:3 picture settings as well.

As i found out, this TV saves seperate convergance settings for 1080i inputs and the rest.

Thanks.
          KD

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

:rofl: I like 7 and 8 :rofl: Glad you got it working :T

Jason
            Jason

Comment

• markandjenn
              • Oct 2005

I have this same TV and this issue has been bothering me since I received my HD cable box 6 months ago.

I have a few questions:
              1 - How does one go into service mode?

2 - I am running my DVD player and 2 TiVo through my receiver and into the HD ColorStream 1 input. I have my HD cable box going into my HD ColorStream 2 input. Will I be able to go through the steps outlined here on the HD 2 input without affecting the HD 1 input and the other Video inouts on the TV or will changing these settings affect all inputs?

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

I wouldn't reccomend going in to the "service mode" unless you're a professional with the appopriate calibration equipment (spectrum analyzer) or at the very least REALLY know what you're doing. If you want the set calibrated beyond the user controls with DVE or AVIA I suggest getting a professional ISF tech to calibrate it for you. Worth the money IMO

From the above post it sounds like your set will save different settings for the different signal types. To be sure, just make sure you right down all your current setting before changing them, in case you need to change them back
                Jason

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"