X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jazznsoccer
    • Apr 2004

Runco Idp-980 Crt

I'm toying with buying a used Runco Idp-980 Crt, but have trouble finding info on it (tried the Runco site already and also basic web searches). Looking for basics like resolution and aspect ratio. Also like to hear comments and pitfalls of buying a used FP CRT. I'm watching Jon's experience with the NEC 9.
  • Dean McManis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • May 2003

The Runco IDP-980 is the same as as the NEC 6PG Plus.
    Here is some info on the unit:

And the cross reference:

CRT projectors can be affordable and rewarding if you are comfortable with electronics, and research enough to find out if the unit is in good working condition, and doesn't have burnt CRTs.

Probably the greatest potential shortcoming of CRT projectors is that they were very expensive professional displays years ago, and therefore they are complex, and very difficult and expensive to repair if broken.

But if you get a good one then they can be tweaked to produce an excellent picture. Try to find out the powered-on hours of the unit, and the CRT-on hours (which is much more important).

Find out if you can if it's a regular IDP 980 or the 980 Ultra. Both will do 1080i and 720p HD resolutions, but the Ultra had a high bandwidth capability (both have 7" CRTs).

Runco rebadged many NEC products, and you will probably have better results getting info on the NEC 6PG Plus.
    NEC Manuals:

-Dean.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Here's another source,

The trick is to find a relatively low cost machine that doesn't have a ton of hours.

One additional benefit of buying a PJ from Hammerhead is that they provide a 1yr warranty.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• jazznsoccer
        • Apr 2004

Hi Dean,

How do I find powered on and run time houors? If someone were to ask me based on my memory how many hours I have on any unit - well let's just say I wouldn't have a clue. I have known to be way off in remembering even what year I bought equipment!

Do the higher end units have any run time clocks built in to the unit?

It just seems to me that old HQ CRT projectors when tuned up can equal or better today's DLP or LCD equipment selling for under 5 digits.

Comment

• jazznsoccer
          • Apr 2004

Anybody know about re-tubing with VDC tubes? Does this diminish original PQ?

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

The NEC chasis, on item 7 of the adjust menua, is the hour meter, which displays both the chassis hours and the tube hours.

VDC is the only game in town except for buying factory tubes when they can be found; though they will sell direct to "end users", I've heard stories which suggest that they try to pawn off the rebuilds which may be of slightly lesser quality to those they think are less knowledgable. I'd sugggest going through someone knowledgable, like Curt Palme.

OTOH, the best thing might be to just look around a while longer, and try to find what you're looking for with reasonably low hours. It can take a bit of time and luck, especially since you'll probably want one geographically "convenient. I drove 400 miles to get mine, but for a 9PG+ with under 700 hours, it was well worth it, IMO. It came from Hammerhead Tech, up in Chico, CA.

It just seems to me that old HQ CRT projectors when tuned up can equal or better today's DLP or LCD equipment selling for under 5 digits.
            The setup is a much, MUCH more of a bear, and you need to have good light control to hit their full potential- and then their's the digital light cannon issue- a good 10K plus digital can put out more lumens, but not with the contrast ratio; to get a top of the line Sharp DLP close to a CRT in CR, you have to dial it way down in light output.

Then, for me, there's the facet that with glasses I have 10/15 corrected vision, and I can see the pixel structure in 1280X720 DLP's at the seating distance I prefer, relative to screen size. With 1080i on the NEC-9PG+, there's oodles of detail, but no scan lines or pixels.

Presuming you can see the projector you're interested in, just have them bring up the adjust menu and item 7, the hour meter. All should be clear...
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• jazznsoccer
              • Apr 2004

Thanks Jon!

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"