X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HOWARD
    • Jun 2004

Help-from The Wise Ones

I you were to buy a 46 rptv would it be a--SONY 46WT510- TOSHIBA46-H83 OR A PANNY 47WX53 AND WHY PLEASE. THANX. HOWIE
  • Bam!
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2004

Hi Howie...

For me Toshiba..... but they are slowly letting go of those babies....the HX83 is already discontinued.... :E

But I'll let the wise one's respond! :lol:

Where's Jason....Bing and Trev!...just to name a few!
    Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Of those three.... If money wasn't a huge consideration the Sony. Great quality but you pay for it. Value leader, Toshiba. Good quality but not top end as such it's also less expensive. Good option if you don't want to invest too much as your only planning to keep it a few years until DLP etc matures/becomes affordable but still want relatively good performance. They do tend to have slightly more reliability problems though. Panny's are alright...just a notch below the Tosh's IMO. They're cheaper again though...

Is there a reason you're not also looking at Hitachi or Mitsubishi?

Jason
      Jason

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

I was considering this route a month or so ago. The slightly newer version of the Panny was at the top of my list, because I had already found all the service code and tweak up info for it, including SVM disabling, and because the 47WX54 has been at local CostCo's for only $999. It does have DVI/HDCP input, too.

Having owned both Toshiba's and Sony's, I would recommend the Toshiba over the Sony; they're usually easier to dial into "perfection", and I found with the factory service manual fully tweaking it up was very rewarding. Sony's are usually nicer built "mechanically", but Toshiba puts the money into the CRTs and chassis.

Really, if you're OK with going through a detailed setup, you probably can't go wrong with any of these sets; the Tosh wil probably be best out of the box, compared with the others; the Panny worst, but it's the least expensive and will dial in pretty well. If you have 480 sources mainly, the upscaling in the Toshiba may give it the edge; I'll check that out- but I was planning on using my Zenith DVB318, which upscales to 1080i over component.

Oh, what did I end up doing? Bought a used NEC-9PG+ CRT projector, with less than 700 hours, for $1600. New MSRP ~$22,000.

~Jon
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"