X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stereoharold
    • May 2004

Need help on projector Switching off after 2 minutes

Hi!

I was wondering.. I have this old Zenith projector (model pv855p) that i got at home, and everything used to work fine with it. Recently, whenever i turned it on, it would shut off after 2 minutes of operation(as soon as it heats up a bit).

I know electronics a bit, but not enought to figure it out. The image is fine, then poof - everything turns off. I checked the wires, and looked inside for burnt parts, but everything seems fine.

I'm pretty sure it's just this one little capacitor that fails after a little heat..- it's so frustrating to have it there and not being able to use it !!!
    If anybody knows what i should do with it, please help me!

Thanks a lot - Harold
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Harold, what kind of projector is it ? Crt, Lcd, Dlp ? If it's one of the latter two, then the PJ uses a lamp and there is probably an air filter involved. When the air filter gets dirty the PJ will overheat, and may even damage the lcd or dmd panels. Newer PJs have warning messages or blinking colored lights to tell you what the problem is. Shutting down automatically is usually the Pj's way of protecting itself. Try cleaning the air filter, or maybe even replacing it if it is badly clogged with dirt and dust. Any projector with air filters need to be vacuumed at least once a month.

Hope this helps.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• stereoharold
      • May 2004

Cleaning up the filters

Thanks for the reply.. However, the projector i have does not seem to have any fan, or air filter.. (at least not that i know of..) I attached some pictures.. maybe that can help..

It seems it shuts down because voltage seems to low.. that's my theory anyways.. but if anybody has any idea..

Thanks again

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

I used to have one of these. Actually, it was the Heathkit version, so actually, I should say I built one of these! In the same year that one was manufactured in Mexico.

Built two if you count the work I had to do to get ThomasW's running...

There is a cap which tends to go out in the power supply; I had that problem about a year into owning it. I believe it was one of the main electrolytic caps. Unfortunately, getting Zenith repair or calibration info isn't very easy; in the old days Zenith had an extensive dealer and repair network, and they were pretty good about getting stuff fixed. You might try the Zenith web site to find a local dealer, and see if you can get service or a manual.

Mine is happily running at a friend of ThomasW's somewhere outside Denver...

~Jon
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"