X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

NOT my idea of an innaugural post :(

Tonight, I turned my Pioneer Elite PRO-119 on like I always do, and here's what happened.

I turned on my TiVo menu and saw double image on the left side. I went into troubleshoot mode, into the menu, convergence, and found my RED crosshair way the hell off to the left on the left colume top, middle, and bottom. The red will NOT realign with the blue and white master cross hair. What the hell does this mean?

Right now, I have nasty shadows in color on the left side of screen, right side is fine. Does this mean:

1. a board has went bye bye.
    2. system level (not user adjustable) convergence must be adjusted by ISF type?
    3. Trash the set and buy a new one?

I'm just damn bummed. Timing is NOT good to buy a new set right now.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

With this kind of a change, it's almost certainly a board problem, with a component failure of some type in the affected color's sweep circuit.

Repairable, I'm sure, but not with just adjustements.

Best of luck getting it fixed at a reasonable price.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

The owner where I bought it felt it might just be a chip replacement on a board. Possibly a plug in module of some kind. Have to wait until Monday to check with the service rep at NOW Audio video.

Still curious if anyone else has had this happen.

thanks Jon,
      Lex
      Doug

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

If it's just one side that's off, it could be the convergence memory got hit somehow, and it may be readjustable in service mode. A board/chip failure is more likely to make the entire red grid off/unadjustable. Do the lines move when you try to adjust them, just not far enough? Remember when Trevor's RPTV convergence went all wacky, but it was fixable in service mode? Did you have a power outage or thunderstorm recently?

Also, you got a new sub recently, did you put it near the RPTV? The red gun is on the left side of the set, if you put the sub there maybe it's pulling the raster out of whack.

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
        My HT Site

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Actually, now there are 2 reds on the right side that won't adjust fully either. Not as bad, but won't center. Only the center will center now it seems. I don't think they were like that last night at all.

Yes, there's a new sub, but it's a good foot and a half away from it now. I'll move it even further away to check it, but I don't think that's it, as it was closer than this and picture was ok for 2 days.

Maybe the service menu is the trick, but I don't know how to get into it on it.

Lex
          Doug

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

Lex, is this a 16:9 set, with multiple aspect modes? Do you have the same convergence issues in each aspect mode? Pioneers have separate convergence memories for each aspect mode, so if the problem goes away (or changes in nature) in different aspect modes, it will help determine if it's a setting that got messed up, or if it's a problem with the convergence board or yokes.

Do you have any HD sources to try? If so, do you have the same problem in HD?

I take it the blue convergence is ok?

KJP

My HT Site

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Kevin, blue seems ok. This is a non-HD set. Pre-HD.

Interesting idea. I do in fact have normal and full screen modes on the set. When I change it to full, the problem area moves to the center of the screen, but doesn't go away. Not sure what that says, but that's how it is.

Lex
              Doug

Comment

• Kevin P
                • Aug 2000

That leads me to believe that the problem is the service mode settings for red geometry/convergence got whacked somehow. If the edges are off in one mode and the center is off in another, that means the hardware is capable of maintaining convergence in both locations. But a power surge scrambling a few bytes of memory may cause the convergence data to be incorrect in different areas of the screen in different modes, causing your anomaly.

BTW, have you tried unplugging the set for 10 minutes, then plugging it back in? That might reset things. If not, I bet someone with service mode savvy on Pioneer sets can fix it back up in a jiffy.

KJP

My HT Site

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

Good idea Kevin, I'll try that tonight, unplugging and then replugging it.

Well, maybe he can fix it with the 120 service call. If so, worth it.

Lex
                  Doug

Comment

• Bam!
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jan 2004

Hey Guys!

I know this is old...but what ever happened to the tv Doug!

Kevin had some good stuff going there and then boom it ended I am left hi and dry just wondering.....

Bam!
                    Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Lex
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Apr 2001

The TV is sitting in my foyer with the red convergence amplifier bad. Probably cost 500 to fix, not sure I want to put the money in it. I was going to, but just never have. I sure am tired of it in my foyer though which is rather small anyway.

Lex
                      Doug

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"