X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

3 Chip DLP

Any one actually lucky enough to own one of these big budget projectors? :P :P Mazuly and I were talking about winning the lotto and waiting for 3-chip xhd3 projectors (just dreaming unfortunately :cry: ) in the RPTVJust curious if anyone has the existing models and your thoughts on the picture quality and black levels etc.

What good is having one if you can't brag about it to us anyways? lol

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

I get to buy and install them at work on occasion. I'll be buying an $80K unit for a show this summer to do a simple, albeit really big (30' wide), black and white silhouette projection.

How's that torque you for overkill/waste of high end equipment?

Have spent some amount of time using the Panasonic 7600. It's pretty spiffy, wouldn't mind having that in my HT.

BB

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

From what I've read, 3 chippers for home theater are available in the $25K USD and up range. I can recall when the early 1 chip dlp PJs were in that price range, and look at them now. So the day is coming guys. And the good thing is, as prices drop, the product just gets better and better in performance. What a wonderous age we live in, huh. :dance:

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

With competing technologies coming closer in specs and beating them on price, future 3-chip DLP projector models will inevitably come down to more affordable price levels.

I was just talking yesterday about the 3-chippers versus one-chippers with a projector dealer who carries some pretty high-priced high end gear. He agrees that prices are going to drop, and probably sooner than most people realize. At present, in bulk to manufacturers, the the 3-chip sets cost only pennies more than the one-chips, so it is the supporting circuitry and "other factors" (such as marketing?) that support a significantly higher cost to the consumer for projector models incorporating the 3-chip sets. Economies of scale and competiton are going to continue to force the prices down.

So as always, it becomes a guessing game as to how long to wait and how much to spend, knowing that something better and cheaper is on the horizon.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Dean McManis
          Moderator Emeritus
          • May 2003

I always thought that the 3-chip DLP projectors were more hype than benefit. The key is that TI wanted to position their projectors in two tiers, consumer and commercial. So they worked with projector manufacturers to have the 3-chip models together with the super bright, and higher resolution 1280 X 1024 chips. That way there would be some kind of real excuse why some DLP projectors were $2500 and some were $125,000.

I've had both LCD and D-ILA front and rear projectors, all with 3-chip (RGB) designs, but only TI makes a big deal about it with their DLP designs.

I also have a XGA DLP FPTV, which cost less than $2K and looks fantastic with both NTSC and HD material. And with good contrast and black levels.

Both D-ILA (LCOS) and LCD raised the bar with higher 1365 X 1024 and 1365 X 768 16:9 resolution FPTVs, so TI finally came out with 1280 X 720p models. But it's even harder to justify spending $25K on a commercial 3-chip DLP when the 1920 X 1080p LCOS units are coming out for just a little (relatively) more money. 8O ops: :twisted:

-Dean.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Dean McManis
            I always thought that the 3-chip DLP projectors were more hype than benefit.
            Seems the biggest benefit of 3-chip DLP as opposed to 1-chip DLP would be no "rainbows". You really won't be able to feel safe firing up a DLP projector for just anyone until they make all DLP projectors "rainbow-proof". "Rainbows" are a big worry for people who are especially sensitive to them, since they can make some people physically sick.

Burke

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

I agree. My girlfriend/future wife gets migraines and though we haven't tested to see if she'd be affected, I don't want to take the chance. Also though I'm sure marginal there has to be some improvement in picture quality. Less compromises usually does equal better performance... If/when 3-chip DLP (or LCOS etc, whatever becomes dominant) becomes affordable, I'm pretty sure that's what our next display will be.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
              Jason

Comment

• Dean McManis
                Moderator Emeritus
                • May 2003

I think that the rainbow issue is really blown out of proportion. :roll:

I certainly won't debate that you can see rainbows on certain older DLP projectors, with certain scenes, on certain DVDs.
                And that some people have complained about getting headaches.
                But I think that it's around the same proportion of people who are sensitive to seeing the flicker of flourescent lighting at 60Hz.

I'll usually recommend that people watch a DLP projector for 30 minutes or so to see if they have problems with the rainbows, but now with the newer DLP projectors that have 4X and 6 X color wheels, most of the people who complained about rainbows have trouble seeing them, even when they try.

I've shown hundreds of movies to dozens of different people and I've never had one mention anything about picture quality or headaches over the last couple years. And my DLP FPTV has only a 2X color wheel. ops:

If I found someone with the extra visual sensitivity to be bothered by rainbows, I would always show movies to them on my (3-chip) D-ILA projector. But as it is, I just alternate between the two projectors without any worries because I've experienced no real problems.

Rainbows can exist on older DLP projectors, but you usually have to shake your head back and forth to see them, and that would give anyone headaches. :x

With the exception of a very tiny few extra sensitive viewers, the rainbow "problem" is all but gone now. And certainly there is no reason to spend 4 to 6 times the price of a single chip DLP FPTV to have a 3-chip model. 8O

And even if you found that you had some exta suseptability to rainbows, AND could still see them with the new, multiple-speed color wheels, you would still have a great variety of 3-chip, LCD and LCOS FPTVs to choose from with comparable or better resolution, brightness, and good contrast/black levels.

-Dean.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                  • Sep 2001

Dean - I agree with just about everything you've said. But I also stand by everything I've said, too. (We're both right.) :>)

I personally do not see rainbows, even on a friend’s old DLP with a slow color wheel. Our local HT interest group even ran a rainbow test at our meet last Saturday, and I couldn't see them then either. But a couple of guys said it was pretty severe toward the end of the test.

I think DLP "rainbows" are kind of like allergies. Most people are not sensitive to them, just as most people are not allergic to most things we encounter in our everyday life, like milk, shellfish, chocolate, freshly mowed lawn grass, latex gloves, polyester fabric, soybean products, and on and on. For most of us, the "threat" of exposure to any of those is "overblown" But for someone who IS sensitive, the penalty for not being cautious and avoiding exposure can be rather severe.

By the way, I know some people who are mildly allergic to some things who may get nauseated from them, or feel other mild discomfort that is not life threatening, and, to be polite, refrain from saying anything to anyone (as in a host serving them a meal).

I'm willing to bet that a lot of people who get mild headaches watching older DLP projectors and are not familiar with "the buzz" on them attribute their discomfort to something else and therefore do not even think to complain about the projector. Others will put up with it without saying anything even if they know about "rainbows" to avoid making a scene or hurting someone’s feelings. On the other hand, we may all be lucky and have family and friends who are as immune to the "rainbows" as we are.

I am NOT advocating spending as much on a projector as on a car just to avoid DLP "rainbows". But until the prices on three-chip DLP models come down to below the $3,000 MSRP level and push the one-chippers off the market, there will still be a few people for whom DLP simply isn't a good idea.

As for the alternatives, LCD has its own problems, such as the propensity for the polarizing plates to disintegrate after an extended period of use, and discernable pixel structure ("screen door") unless the pixel count is quite high, among others. But as far as I know, no one actually gets sick watching an LCD projector (unless maybe they are watching "Battlefield Earth"). :>)

Anyway, it is good that there are a lot of alternative choices with appealing features at reasonable prices. Now the question is, "which one to buy?" :>)

Burke

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

I have a duo projector system in my HT like Dean. I have a Sony VPL400 lcd and an NEC HT1000 dlp. For my money, I lean toward the NEC. I see rainbows on some material in some scenes but they are never bothersome, and I don't get headaches or fatigue; heck if you can watch Lawrence Of Arabia on dlp and not get eye strain or headaches, then you certainly shouldn't have trouble with the occasional color flash. I have had many visitors in my theater watching the NEC and all they have ever said is how real and filmlike the picture was. Now if I ever have someone who is bothered, I can simply switch over to the Sony as both PJs are setup to fire on the same screen.

I would certainly feel sorry for anyone who cannot watch single chip dlp because dlp has a better fill factor with less noticable pixel structure and by far and away a greater contrast and black level than my Sony. So if 3 chip does become affordable it will be a good thing.

My Homepage!
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

So if 3 chip does become affordable it will be a good thing.
                      That's sort of what I was getting at. I can only assume that at some point over the next few years 3-chip DLP will become "affordable". (Or if I win the lotto now and I don't care how much $ I spend and I want the "best" ) Not to mention that it's likley that by that time, 1080p chips with black levels aproaching that of CRT's will be the norm too.

Jason

Jason

Comment

• Brandon B
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Dean McManis
                        I think that the rainbow issue is really blown out of proportion. :roll:

I certainly won't debate that you can see rainbows on certain older DLP projectors, with certain scenes, on certain DVDs.
                        And that some people have complained about getting headaches.
                        But I think that it's around the same proportion of people who are sensitive to seeing the flicker of flourescent lighting at 60Hz.
                        *snip*
                        -Dean.
                        I'm one of the sensitive people. Don't get headaches, but can see them on every DLP I've looked at. Can't look at a computer monitor unless it's at 75Hz or better either.

BTW, fluorescents strobe at 120Hz, a flash for each half of the sinusoidal cycle.

BB

Comment

• Dean McManis
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • May 2003

Yeah, some people are sensitive to the effect. That's why I recommend for most people to watch at least 30 minutes of material on a DLP projector before buying one.

3-chip DLP projectors are cool, but the problem that I have is that they should have ALL been 3-chip models from the beginning. If you figure what the cost for the extra two chips, and additional optics, minus the cost of the color wheel bits. It shouldn't be much more at all to manufacture (especially in quantity) all DLP FPTVs as 3-chip models.
                          And it's been mostly marketing that decided otherwise. :x

And if I was going to spend nearly $30K for a digital projector, I'd rather get a 1920 X 1080p Sony Qualia LCOS unit than a 1280 X 1024 DLP 3-chip projector. ops: :P

I do believe that competition will eventually drive the prices down for 3-chip DLP FPTVS to reasonable consumer levels within the next couple years.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"