• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Sony's new budget PJ gets great review

If you've been wondering about the Sony HS 10 lcd pj, read this:

If the link doesn't take you directly there, go to the homepage, click on non-subscriber, then the current issue which will bring up items reviewed in this issue, You will then see the Sony Cineeza HS 10 review by Greg Rogers. Click on it and read the good news.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

That's a very complete and detailed review to be published on line- it's nice that Widescreen Magazine will make so much content available. I make a point of picking up copies when I'm out at the book stores.

The Sony HS-10 appeaers to be an excellent value- possibly a little fussy about the format for widescreen video signals- what I've heard is that to use an HTPC with it, you must have a video card which supports sync polarity, and use negative going sync. Some drivers don't inlucde this functionality, but PowerStrip will allow you to address it if the capability is in the hardware.

Obviously, this sets a new level of expectations for a $3,000 projector, as in many regards it edges close to the performance levels of $10K DLP machines, at a fraction of the cost. I suspect visually that it will be very similar to a 10/11/12HT with a color enhancing filter. Note that you must have a special Sony interface cable to connect to their multi-media input for RGB/DVI.

Happy Holidays!

-Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

I haven't got my January issue of WS Review in the mail as yet, so I don't know if Greg Rogers' review is word for word as posted on-line. He certainly does an indepth and very technical review, doesn't he.
      Jon, I also read about the HTPC problems you refer to. But wasn't this problem similar with the 10 and 11HT ?

re: the special cable. I believe I read that one is shipped with the PJ, though I am not too certain of the quality.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Actually, not really. The HD GBR modes in the 10, 11, and 12 will lock on with conventional HV sync signals in positive polarity with a wide format RGB input, such as 1280X720P. A couple of years ago, many video driver sets didn't have that as a standard resolution, but most do these days, so one might not even need PowerStrip.

The older Sony's do have RCA's for the RGBHV input, so you needed a standard RGB to BNC breakout cable, then some BNC to RCA adapters, such as you can get from Radio Shack.

The HS-10 has a proprietary input plug, the PJ Multi input, which requires proprietary Sony cables, depending on the source type you want to use. If you use an outboard RGB to component converter, then you can use the component video inputs.

The 10HT family has two sets of RGBHV style inputs, A and B, switchable between RGB and component modes via the remote, in addition to an S-Video and composite input.

Earth First!
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Thanks for clarifying things, Jon. I am thinking of upgrading my Sony VPL 400 next year and the HS 10 is a serious contender. But I will be watching postings at other sites on this PJ after owners have had it for awhile... just to see if any serious problems pop up.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"