X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LarryB
    • Dec 2001

Sometimes we get lucky....

As some of you know, I have for the past few months been in the market for a FP, mostly due to the adverse effects my RPTV has on my soundstage (bear in mind that I am 99% music, 1% HT).

While not a videophile, I did want a projector with a reasonably good picture, and one which could handle HT (in anticipation of the day when HT enters my home). I was hoping to keep it under $4,000 or so.

As luck would have it, last Thursday my dealer/friend called me with a one-time promotional deal for an InFocus Screenplay 7200 for $5,000, with a $500 rebate coupon (thus bringing the final price to $4,500). I thought about it for all of about 30 seconds and then said "yes." It should arrive later this week or early next week.

Needless to say, I'm pretty excited.

Larry
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

The Screenplay 7200 has a list price of $9900US, so that is indeed a fabulous deal, Larry. And considering it has the latest TI Mustang HD2 chip, this should be one huckuva great dlp projector. Let us know what you think after you have it up and running. This particular model is getting a lot of enthusiastic comments from those who know projectors.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• LarryB
      • Dec 2001

George:

Let us know what you think after you have it up and running.
      I most certainly will. However, since I don't have a trained eye for video, you'll have to take my comments with a grain of salt (or as my old physics teacher used to say, "with a grain of malt").

Larry

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

It's what you see that counts, Larry. And if the picture is sweet, you'll definitely know it.

Bet you're getting anxious

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Wireless
          • Feb 2001

I am so envious!! The 7200 has been stated as having one of the best pictures of any digital projector, and I mean in the top 2 of consumer FPTVs. Please let us know your impressions as soon as you can! What type of screen are you going to be using?

John
          My HT Picts
          John
          My HT Picts

Comment

• LarryB
            • Dec 2001

Wireless:

What type of screen are you going to be using?
            Haven't decided yet. Later this week I will discuss with my dealer an appropriate screen for a DLP in a room with decent, though incomplete perfect light control.

Am I correct in assuming that with a viewing distance of about 10-11 feet, an 80-90 inch screen would be best?

And one additional question: Is it OK if the screen is a few feet behind the speakers?

Larry

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Larry, I sit approximately 13 feet from a 92" WIDE screen . I tried moving up to 10 feet and it is okay with my lcd pj, so it should be even better with your 7200 dlp. If you go too small, you may be sorry later. If you wall is a light color ( preferably white) you can experiment once you get your pj, and that may be a good idea before buying the screen. That way you can try out different sizes and see how it suits you.

As far as speakers in front of the screen, that is no problem, and is likely a good thing as some experts say the speakers SHOULD be away from the walls.

BTW, the 7200 took the top award at CEDIA last month. You are one lucky guy.

My Homepage!
              My Homepage!

Comment

• LarryB
                • Dec 2001

George:

The nature of my room is such that music sounds best when I sit at one end of the room, and have the speakers near the middle of the room (firing down the room's long dimension). (It's a highly asymetric room, with alcoves/hallways at both ends, and I've tried every conceivable configuration.) As such, my intention was to hang the screen near the middle of the room, (ie., not near a wall). Outside of aesthetics, do you envision a problem with this?

Thanks.

Larry

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

None at all, Larry. I can see you are more a music man than a movie man, though I have a feeling this new pj may cut into your music listening. :LOL:

My Homepage!
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• LarryB
                    • Dec 2001

George:

Thanks for the reply. And for the record, I do own 1 DVD (which I won at HTT).

Larry

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"