X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Cheap Projectors

I'm having to replace my 50" Toshiba RPTV since its red gun is nearly worn out. I was all set to simply pick up a 32" tube set for regular TV and start saving up for a projector of some sort but I've come across several cheaper projectors that I could buy now to get me into the game so to speak while I wait for DLP prices to drop etc. Anyway I've seen a number of cheaper refurbished CRT units that look ok and a few LCD models that might work but this is a new arena for me so I'm looking for some guidance....ie would you simple forego these cheaper models and buy a 32" set for now and continue to save up or are these ok starter models?

For example one LCD model I came across was this one on Ebay. It claims to have a 16:9 mode which would be nice.

On the CRT side there's several models that are similar to this one being sold by a guy in BC who refurbs them.

Thoughts?

• Daryl Furkalo
    • Feb 2002

Andrew,

I bought my CRT from Curt in BC. In a couple more weeks I can give you a demo! I can email you a CRT FAQ in Word format to give you an idea if CRT is for you. It has advantages and disadvantages, but so do the other formats.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Daryl I already have that document. Which CRT did you go with? How much was shipping etc? Which screen are you using?

Comment

• Daryl Furkalo
        • Feb 2002

Do you have the update 22 page version or the original 15 pager? The new one finishes up the manufacturers.

I have a Barco Graphics 800, shipping would be around $350 roughly, keeping in mind it weighs 150lbs isn't bad. I will be using a DIY 80" 16:9 screen as well as a Da-lite pulldown 4:3 eventually. The key word there is 'will'. Hoping that the debut is WWE SummerSlam on the 25th.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I have both versions I think. How are you doing the DIY screen

Comment

• Daryl Furkalo
            • Feb 2002

It is the raved about Parkland Plastic polywall from another forum. It is currently sitting on the spare bedroom floor unflattening itself. I bought two in case I made a mistake directly from Parkland. With shipping and taxes it comes out to $40CDN each I think, they are 4x8's.

What video sources do you intend to feed the projector? A scaler or HTPC will be necessary with a CRT.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Can you pleases elaborate on the Parkland Plastic polywall? Are you also saying you have an extra one available?

Comment

• Daryl Furkalo
                • Feb 2002

Check out this link if it works at the AVS Screens area. For CRT it seems to be very good. I did buy 2 sheets, but the second will not be available until I am done with the first one. What video sources will you be sending to the projector?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93780

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

I found that thread on AVS and it seems like this will work nicely. I take it you couldn't find it locally at HD etc?

I'll be running my DVD player, DSS and VCR through it for now but mostly just the DVD I think....

Comment

• Daryl Furkalo
                    • Feb 2002

No western Canada dealers. They are mainly only a Eastern US fabricator. Of course there are other kinds of plastic you could experiment with, but who knows how many other possible problems could crop up with hot spots, wrong screen gain, etc.

With DSS, VCR and DVD you will be requiring a scaler/doubler with multiple inputs, otherwise it will look terrible. I got one of the B-stock Quadscan Pros, but there are no more available from AVS. This will add cost to your CRT plans. Iscan V2 doublers only have 2 inputs I think, Iscan V3 Pro's have one component, s-video and composite, the older quadscan pro has two of all three and a VGA pass though. If you only want DVD, a HTPC is the ticket and will give you ALL the flexibility of a real expensive scaler/doubler with infinite resolutions possible.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

I currently let my Rotel 1066 do all the switching so if I can get a scaler to accept a single s-video and component I'd be happy.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

Andrew,
                        I can't get excited about that Sharp lcd. It has lower resolution than my Sony which you saw. Also, the earlier Sharps were bad for the screendoor affect. Too few pixels. It has 4:3 panels so anything widescreen will have less resolution as well.

As for the crt, NEC is one heckuva projector. Kenny Gunlock had one of these that he bought used. He could tell you all about them if you have his e-mail address. These days he hangs out at HTT.

My Homepage!
                        My Homepage!

Comment

• Daryl Furkalo
                          • Feb 2002

Ebay will probably be your best bet for the V3 Iscan or QS if you need component input.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

No worries george I'm sold on the CRT's and the NEC is at the top of the heap. I now have to figure out if I'm going to get the projector now and the tube TV later or vise versa...common sense would dicate I get the tube set first but where's the fun in that

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2001

Oh the heck with "common sense", Andrew. :LOL:

My Homepage!
                              My Homepage!

Comment

• Pat
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Aug 2000

Andrew, the NEC you linked to only has a 36 Khz scan rate, if you are even remotely considering HiDef or a HTPC I would look at a different PJ.

Here is a good comparison chart for CRT PJs

A word of advise...I "settled" for a Sony 1272 and now I wish I would have sprung for something with at least 8" tubes.
                                My PJ looks awesome but if I had bigger tubes I think it would look even better.

Too bad you are not closer so you could see for yourself.

Pat's Page
                                Pat's Page

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

After giving it some more serious thought last night I've come to realize that CRT's likely aren't going to work for me and my room. Simply put I don't want to give up the sweet spot for music which I'd have to do for floor mounting and my ceiling is pretty low for ceiling mounting a large CRT so I'm now left with a widescreen RPTV or going LCD.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jan 2001

Andrew,
                                    I replied to your e-mail. Also, Pat is correct about the 7" tubes. My Zenith has 7" and the picture is wanting for brightness.

My Homepage!
                                    My Homepage!

Comment

• Daryl Furkalo
                                      • Feb 2002

Andrew,

Zenith CRT's have very short throws, close to 1:1 I think. You don't want to end this CRT quest yet to settle for an LCD!

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"