X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • savage25xtreme
    • Dec 2008

Vizio 72" LED LCD due out August

anyone else excited? I will be the first in line around here to get mine. Finally a company that doesn't want 16k for a "BIG" screen LCD.

Am I missing something here it almost seems too good to be true.

72" XVT

there are plenty of other links for info out there.
    Gavin

BAMTM Build
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

I don't think I could fit a 72" but I'd find a place if one showed up on my door step. :B

I am looking forward to seeing their 55" and 58" sets.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

I've actually heard some good stuff about the xvt line, and wow!!! 72" for 3499 msrp!!! That's crazy good.

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

I have no idea what to get anymore. I was hoping to upgrade sometime in the next year toa 54"-58" Panny as I don't really like LCD's and with the Panasonic rising black level issue and the Kuro's dead, I don't have a lot of options left

Maybe I'll just get a giant Vizio :lol:
        Jason

Comment

• savage25xtreme
          • Dec 2008

ya I am running a 62" DLP that I have had for 5 years now, its time for an upgrade, but I have vowed to not go down in size. This is the first option that has come along that I could afford. I am looking forward to it big time. Anyone scared that its a Vizio? about the only brand TV I wont buy is a Sony, I have had terrible luck with Sony products, except my PS3 which I could not live without. I wonder how the 72" screen will be with gaming.
          Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Like I said I've heard some very good things about the new led stuff from them.

Comment

• savage25xtreme
              • Dec 2008

any good things about the company as a whole or previous displays?

I was dead set on a Samsung until I heard about the 72" Vizio....
              Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• Brandon B
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2001

Vizio has been around for many years now, and acutally is pretty big, probably the biggest 3rd tier (or they may be considered 2nd tier by now) display vendor.

Their stuff has typically been a little lower on the performance rung than the nicer brands like Sharp, Samsung and Sony, but for the price difference, certainly very good values. Costco carries a lot of their stuff.

If one of their models appeals to you based on price, I would definitely consider it.

BB

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

From what I've heard the new LED displays are actually competing pretty closely with the Samsung LED TV's. Previous TV's from them though have not been the best performers. Seems with their newest lines though they may of stepped it up quite a bit.

As far as the company them selves I haven't really heard anything bad. I haven't really read about anyone needing to warranty anything through them so I have no idea what their customer service is like.

Comment

• savage25xtreme
                    • Dec 2008

OK, thanks for everyone opinions. I guess I can make my own opinion when they come out in August, hopefully. :T

I would imagine at 72" even 1080P material will looks some what pixilated? yes, no, maybe?
                    Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Depends on how close you are sitting I'd imagine. But as long as the pixel pitch isn't to crazy should be ok. I wouldn't sit any closer then like 12 feet to a 72".

Comment

• savage25xtreme
                        • Dec 2008

THX recommended distance is 8 ft and maximum is 11.8 ft ...... for what that is worth
                        Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• Ovation
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2004

With 20/20 eyesight, maximum resolution of the picture occurs at about 9.5 feet from the screen at that size. Further than that and 20/20 eyes cannot, generally speaking, fully resolve the 1080p image .

Comment

• wettou
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • May 2006

If you are a serious movie bluff then you wouldn’t want to miss out on the Vizio’s all-new 58-inch Razor LED Cinema Display. This widescreen display features an aspect ratio of 21×9 for you to view 2:35:1 films like the Star Wars without any obstruction of those black bars. And as with all Visio’s XVT Pro models you’ll be getting all of Vizio’s Internet Apps service, Wireless HDMI, and the Bluetooth remote/keyboard.

I want one Hopefully it will be under $3000

Get full-length product reviews, the latest news, tech coverage, daily deals, and category deep dives from CNET experts worldwide.

Also who says Vizio is not at the leading edge
                            Quad Full HD 4K x 2K HDTV

Another spectacular demonstration of future display technology is VIZIO’s Quad 4K x 2K HDTV. With 8 megapixels, fully four times the pixels of 1080p displays, this 56” LCD concept piece boasts a resolution of 3840x2160. Exhibiting the same resolution as Digital Cinema projectors used in commercial digital theaters, this presentation will reveal the benefits of higher resolution displays for the home.

21x9 Cinema Display HDTV

Defined by its native 21x9 aspect ratio, VIZIO’s Cinema Display is the ultimate HDTV for film lovers. Previously available only by using very expensive projectors with special lenses and video processing, film enthusiasts can now view 2:35:1 “Scope” films on the entire screen display area on an LED HDTV, with full resolution and no black bars. Demonstration will be on a 58” display with 2560x1080 resolution.

Ultra-Thin Blade TV

The dramatic industrial designs and ultra-thin chassis of VIZIO’s upcoming Blade TV product line make a striking fashion statement and are the closest approach yet to a zero-depth display. At an incredible ¼” depth, the 42” Blade model is a 120 Hz LED with Edge illumination, Smart Dimming and a 1 Million:1 contrast ratio. The 26” model also has a .25” display and edge illumination. Both sets are 1080p Full HD.

Now if they could do a

Ultra-Thin blade Quad Full HD 4K x 2K 21x9 Cinema Display HDTV 65" would that be awesome dude :B
                            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• wettou
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • May 2006

LG Super Slim

LG's super-slim prototype caused a stir at the company's press conference. Even with LED backlighting and local dimming (with 240 dimming zones, over twice as many as most such sets), this panel measures only 6.9mm thick—that's about a quarter of an inch! This thing doesn't even have a model designation yet, so don't expect it in stores any time soon, but it sure is cool.
                              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

I've never been attracted to Vizios based on their performance compromises, compared to something like Samsung. But for those that want BIG, it might be worth checking out! Just remember there's factors important to TV's beyond just size!
                                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                - Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2006

Honestly lol I'm telling the truth these new LED series TV's from Vizio are supposed to perform very very well, at or near the performance of the Samsung LED TV's. My friend was actually considering getting one and he wouldn't settle for anything but high performance and he did a bunch of research and of course relayed it all to me. But either way from reviews I've seen and what not these newer Vizio's seem to leave very little to compare them to the old Vizio's we are all accustomed to seeing.

Edit: Of course I haven't personally seen these yet. My friend has though, I would like to take a look at one sometime and see just how good it looks because the prices are great for sure.

Comment

• savage25xtreme
                                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by wettou

If you are a serious movie bluff then you wouldn’t want to miss out on the Vizio’s all-new 58-inch Razor LED Cinema Display. This widescreen display features an aspect ratio of 21×9 for you to view 2:35:1 films like the Star Wars without any obstruction of those black bars. And as with all Visio’s XVT Pro models you’ll be getting all of Vizio’s Internet Apps service, Wireless HDMI, and the Bluetooth remote/keyboard.
                                    about 75% of my TV time is logged on COD MW2 the remainder is movies and HD broadcasts.

I love sitting down to a good movie, but it is probably my least amount of time logged in front of a TV.
                                    Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• Brandon B
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Jun 2001

Originally posted by savage25xtreme
                                      OK, thanks for everyone opinions. I guess I can make my own opinion when they come out in August, hopefully. :T

I would imagine at 72" even 1080P material will looks some what pixilated? yes, no, maybe?
                                      Well, I sit 10.5' from my 120" FP screen at 1080p and it sure isn't pixelated. But aperature on a DILA projector, and on a Vizio direct view LCD panel are going to be different. So I am going to vote no, for distances > 8 feet or so.

Originally posted by Chris D
                                      I've never been attracted to Vizios based on their performance compromises, compared to something like Samsung. But for those that want BIG, it might be worth checking out! Just remember there's factors important to TV's beyond just size!
                                      True enough, same here, but I think Vizio is moving up the ranks in quality. I am going to look at their new models as a replacement to my 720p JVC RP set for sure.

Comment

• aud19
                                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2003

I wish someone would come out with a 1080p LED set at the 32" size so I can get one for PC monitor/TV double duty...
                                        Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Jan 2006

Yeah think the smalles LED set that Samsung has is 36".

Comment

• aud19
                                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Dougie085
                                            Yeah think the smalles LED set that Samsung has is 36".
                                            40" :roll:
                                            Jason

Comment

• Ovation
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Sep 2004

Just get the 40 inch model. You know you wanna…

More seriously, I'm surprised there are no smaller ones. Typically, new tech in flat panels starts small and gets bigger.

Comment

• wettou
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • May 2006

Originally posted by Ovation

More seriously, I'm surprised there are no smaller ones. Typically, new tech in flat panels starts small and gets bigger.
                                                OLED 11" from Sony still beat them all, I am waiting for the LG 65 inch OLED :B

Comment

• P-Dub
                                                  Office Moderator
                                                  • Aug 2000

Ha, ha, you beat me too it!
                                                  Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• aud19
                                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Ovation

Not really. Actually, as it's doubling a a PC monitor I'd probably prefer something like a 26" :lol:
                                                    Jason

Comment

• Brandon B
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Jun 2001

I bought Dell 1920x1200 monitors for both myself and the wife, a 24" and a 27". Both have DVI/HDMI, component, S-video and composite inputs.

You're looking in the wrong category - look for monitors that can be TVs, not TVs that can be monitors.
                                                      Last edited by aud19; 10 March 2010, 16:43 Wednesday.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Jan 2006

Even 1920x1200 is pretty low for a 27" LCD.

Comment

• savage25xtreme
                                                          • Dec 2008

Enlighten me.... OHHHHH LED?
                                                          Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Jan 2006

Yes OLED will be awesome but can't imagine even the 65" will be near 3k at first. Guess we will see.

Comment

• aud19
                                                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Brandon B
                                                              I bought Dell 1920x1200 monitors for both myself and the wife, a 24" and a 27". Both have DVI/HDMI, component, S-video and composite inputs.

You're looking in the wrong category - look for monitors that can be TVs, not TVs that can be monitors.
                                                              I have looked at them...none of them had LED lighting either. And they're $$$ for what you get.
                                                              Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Jan 2006

I'm wondering what the price of the 2.35:1 58" is going to be......

Comment

• wettou
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • May 2006

I'm wondering what the price of the 2.35:1 58" is going to be......
                                                                  I heard less than 3K

more details

Vizio unveils 58-inch 2.35:1 LED-backlit LCD HDTV

HDTV manufacturer Vizio has done well for itself. Rewind a decade and the company was considered a bottom tier display manufacturer, but with every quarter, they’ve become increasingly dominant players in the HDTV industry. They’ve carved themselves out a niche with a line of attractive televisions at bargain prices.

Now they’ve unveiled their latest: the XVT Pro Razor 580CD, a 58-inch LED backlit LCD display which makes it possible to view widescreen movies at a raito of 2.35 to 1 without any letterboxing. The set packs an astonishing 2,560 by 1,080 resolution, 802.11n and Vizio’s Internet App abilities, along with a Bluetooth remote that comes replete with a slide-out QWERTY keypad.

It’s worth getting excited about: 2.35:1 widescreen displays are still very rare, and command luxury prices, while Vizio is known for being a bargain. On their part, there’s no pricing or release date announced yet, but Vizio promises the XV Pro Razor 580CD sometime later this year.

Press release:
                                                                  LAS VEGAS, NV (CES) and IRVINE, CA – January 05, 2010 — VIZIO, America’s #1 LCD HDTV Company, has unveiled their new high-performance XVT Pro Series of 480Hz SPS™ 16×9 TruLED™ Full HD3D™HDTVs available in 72”, 55” and 47” sizes, as well as a 58” Cinema Wide HDTV that displays content in 21 x 9 aspect ratio. The 480Hz SPS™ 16×9 TruLED™ Full HD3D™HDTVs incorporate the very latest in advanced HDTV technology with 480Hz SPS™, TruLED™ brilliant LEDs that pervade the entire screen, Smart Dimming™ circuitry controls hundreds of zones of LEDs per screen to the precise light level per picture frame. In addition, the set’s Full HD3D™delivers stunning 3D in FULL HD 1080p resolution, with other advanced features like VIZIO INTERNET APPS™ (VIA) built-in high definition wireless (802.11n dual-band) and wired networking, a Bluetooth universal remote control with sliding QWERTY keyboard, and Wireless HDMI which allows the TV to receive HD video and audio from sources without an HDMI cable.

“VIZIO’s entry into custom and specialty electronics is great for the industry. VIZIO has built strong brand recognition, so offering specialty retailers and custom installers exclusive access to a line with features they can market is a nice sales tool. Customers already know the VIZIO brand and it’s an easy transition to educating them about the benefits of their advanced 3D, LED technology and unique solutions such as (21:9) 2.35:1 native aspect ratio HDTVs,” said Tom LeBlanc, Senior Writer/Technology Editor, CE Pro magazine.

58” Cinema Wide Display

Taking a major step forward in enabling viewers to experience a fully immersive widescreen film experience without a separate projector and screen, VIZIO’s first Cinema Wide Display, the XVTPRO580CD offers the ultimate experience for the movie enthusiast. This 58” Razor LED display
                                                                  has a 21×9 aspect ratio, with an incredible resolution of 2560 x 1080p, allowing consumers to view 2.35:1 “Scope” aspect ratio films using the entire display area, with no loss of resolution and no black bars. With 1 million to 1 Mega Dynamic Contrast Ratio™, Smart Dimming™, and 120 Hz with Smooth Motion technology, the XVTPRO580CD delivers brilliant details and rich colors to bring the cinematic experience into the home.

Its striking wide appearance is further enhanced by its brushed aluminum chassis. The Cinema Wide Display also includes VIA, built-in wireless (802.11n dual-band) or wired networking, and a Bluetooth universal remote control with sliding QWERTY keyboard. It is expected to ship later this year.

Demonstrations of the VIZIO XVT Pro products and the VIA platform will be held by appointment for key business partners, analysts and press in Las Vegas during private CES press meetings January 6th through 9th at the Wynn Hotel’s, Chambertin ballrooms. Interested content and service partners should contact VIZIO at partners@vizio.com or call (949) 428-2525 ext. 2554.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Jan 2006

Yeah that's basically all the info listed on the site. With the monster 72" being 3500 I'd hope the 58" would be quite a bit under that.

Comment

• audioqueso
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Nov 2004

Wow... that things a monster... especially at that price.
                                                                      I have a 42" Vizio at my office. Picked it cause it was really cheap... and it's actually a nice LCD. I've never seen a Vizio anywhere else, but it's nice. I'd buy it if I wanted a screen that big.
                                                                      B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• savage25xtreme
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Dec 2008

I want one that big.... I cant wait. I will be sure and write a review when I get mine !
                                                                        Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• Brandon B
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Jun 2001
                                                                          • 2193

Originally posted by aud19
                                                                          I have looked at them...none of them had LED lighting either. And they're $$$ for what you get.
                                                                          I've had them since they were released. Guess they haven't dropped the price to stay competitive.

Well, one caveat in looking at TVs as monitors, many of them don't do 1:1 pixel mapping and overscan is annoying when using it as a monitor, so check that whatever you settle on doesn't have that issue.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                            • Jan 2006
                                                                            • 16073

Many TV's now days have a 1:1 pixel mapping option now. I know all the Samsung's do for sure.

Comment

• aud19
                                                                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                              • Aug 2003
                                                                              • 16706

#39
                                                                              Many TV's now days have a 1:1 pixel mapping option now. I know all the Samsung's do for sure.
                                                                              That's what I've been primarily targeting but dang it I'm almost insistent on waiting until someone releases an addressable LED unit at that size dang it! :evil:
                                                                              Jason

Comment

• Blindamood
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Sep 2003
                                                                                • 899

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by Brandon B
                                                                                Well, one caveat in looking at TVs as monitors, many of them don't do 1:1 pixel mapping and overscan is annoying when using it as a monitor, so check that whatever you settle on doesn't have that issue.
                                                                                My new Toshiba Regza calls it "Native" aspect mode. You can easily flip back-and-forth between this and the normal mode, to see how much overscan is introduced. For blu-ray, Native is a must. The only issue is with cable tv, where you sometimes see a slight bit of noise near one edge of the screen. However, I only see it periodically, and it's not enough of a nuisance to go back to using any overscan.

If you're referring to using it as a monitor for a computer, then you would "Dot by Dot" mode, which is essentially the same as Native (i.e., no overscan).
                                                                                Brad

Comment

• impala454
                                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                  • Oct 2007
                                                                                  • 3814

#41
                                                                                  Looks like a great deal! I wonder if this is an indicator of other brands lowering their pricing on the larger displays too?
                                                                                  -Chuck

Comment

• savage25xtreme
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Dec 2008
                                                                                    • 305

#42
                                                                                    This review has a video of the 72" display.... it must actually exist!

link

If you cant tell I am extremely excited to check one of these out. I wish the guy had commented on the picture and not just the features.
                                                                                    Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• impala454
                                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                      • Oct 2007
                                                                                      • 3814

#43
                                                                                      So I was showing that link to a coworker and noticed the prices are now shown as TBD
                                                                                      -Chuck

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Sep 2004
                                                                                        • 2202

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by impala454
                                                                                        So I was showing that link to a coworker and noticed the prices are now shown as TBD
                                                                                        When I click on the link in the post just above yours, the page reveals prices, not TBD.

Comment

• P-Dub
                                                                                          Office Moderator
                                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                                          • 6766

#45
                                                                                          One link is to the CES news release, the other link is direct to Vizio's website with the news release. It is the latter that has the prices as TBD. Hmmm, maybe cheaper?
                                                                                          Paul

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"