X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BW4me
    • Nov 2005

Cable recommendation

I have a Dell 3300 projector which is HD compatible up to 720p or 1080i using it's M1-DA connection. After trying to find BD player that upscales DVDs using component output (which is my current set up - M1-DA to component cable) I just realized I should just get a HDMI cable to replace current cable and use with HDMI to M1-DA adapter.

So my question is, what type of HDMI cable can I run about 40' up through wall and into attic to projector? My current cable is from Dell, which works great, but they don't sell anything like I need in HDMI.

Then, I'm assuming I could get some type of HDMI switch box to run two into one on player?

Thanks for any ideas,

Steve
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

HDMI cables are so finicky I am hesitant to make recommendations, especially when it comes to something like a 40 foot run. With HDMI, I have found that they either work or they don't. I have two projectors in my system, as well as two Blu-ray players with each connected to a projector by 22 foot flat HDMI cables, 26AWG and manufactured by Atlona and sold for roughly $80 a piece. All I can say is these work for me when a cheaper make didn't. In your case, especially considering you will be running the cable up a wall into the attic, as well as through an adapter, I would only buy from some local dealer who will offer some kind of a guarantee should the cable not work.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• BW4me
      • Nov 2005

Thanks George. This was one of the cables I was looking at from Monoprice.

Currently I've been using an in-wall rated 50' Dell component cable which has given really good results. It was only $50, but maybe from what you're saying it's a whole different situation with HDMI.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Originally posted by BW4me

Currently I've been using an in-wall rated 50' Dell component cable which has given really good results. It was only $50, but maybe from what you're saying it's a whole different situation with HDMI.
        Component cables have always been pretty reliable, but HDMI cables are much more complicated and often finicky.

As far as Monoprice cables go, I understand that many people have had good results with them, but again I would only buy if you can return them for a refund if they don't work.

Good luck.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I have a 35' HDMI from Monoprice. I have it connected to my 720p projector. Around 2 yrs now, no problems.
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• BW4me
            • Nov 2005

Thanks George. I'm also going to make sure I check cable out before I run it through my wall, whatever I end up with.

Comment

• aarsoe
              • May 2004

There is another way to ensure pristine picture and sound - and that is to use a repeater after 20 feet. Not all repeaters require external power and it is much cheaper to get a real quality cable at 20 feet than 40 feet.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"