X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dean McManis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • May 2003

Epson EMP-TW2000 boasts 50K:1 contrast

"Epson's first 3LCD projector to take advantage of their new 0.74-inch HTPS panels already spotted in Mitsubishi and Sanyo projectors. The EMP-TW2000 starts with a trio of Epson-built, 0.74-inch, 1,920 x 1,080 C2FINE LCD panels with D7 process technology, 12-bit LCD driver, and updated OptiFocus engine with DeepBlack phase compensation technology. They then bust a rated 50,000:1 dynamic contrast at 1,600 lumens off a 170W UHE (E-TORL) bulb while supporting x.v.Color over a pair of HDMI v1.3 inputs -- component, S-Video, and D-Sub 15 PC input sprinkled in for fun. Nicely done Epson. Yours in Japan later this month for about ¥350,000. That'll be a tax-inclusive $3,020 when it comes Stateside under the PowerLite Cinema branding. Pics of the backside, front and huge-ass, plastic remote control after the break.

Update: As expected, this model is coming to the US under the PowerLite Home Cinema 1080 UB model for $2,699 in December. Right, the same price their lesser-spec'd Home Cinema 1080 model sells for now."

It's getting harder to say no to a 1080p projector upgrade. 8)
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

LCD sure has come a long way since my first Sharp and the later SonyVPL400. Even my LPX510 Yamaha with its 1500:1 contrast ratio is certianly outdated. I think that maybe after my old NEC HT1000 dlp gives up the ghost, I will go for an lcd replacement. I've always preferred dlp over lcd in the contrast dept., but looks like that has changed. Now, hopefully they will overcome that old lcd problem of color tinting that really makes it difficult to enjoy B&W movies, of which I have many. Though I have to admit, the color tinting thing on my Yamaha is not that huge a problem and would probably live with it if I didn't have my old reliable NEC dlp.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Any idea what the native CR is? Also any reviews? I'm wondering how much of that 50k:1 is real.

Comment

• Dean McManis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • May 2003

It's a loose translation from Japanese, but the native contrast is supposed to be around 4500:1, with dynamic contrast rated at 50,000:1. :E
        Plus the auto-Iris adjustments are faster too at 60 times a second, and the light output is improved as well at 1600 lumens now.
        All the better for my bigger screen. :T

More info:

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Yeah, I might just have to take the plunge and do this projector in December. The Yamaha DPX-1 that came with my house is probably going to die any day now, and I really need to upgrade to a 1080p eventually, anyway.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"