X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Firebird!
    • Aug 2007

Fixing Convergence Problem in RPTVs

Hello - I own Pioneer SD-643HD5 witch were working excellent for over three years. Couple of days ago I noticed a problem with the blue light getting out of alighment (see attachments). It started from the bottom of the screen and not it took all of the screen from top to bottom. I haven't opened the unit yet and trying to find some information on what could get wrong in there and what should I look for before I get in to it.

Thanks

Firebird!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Firebird!; 03 September 2007, 22:46 Monday.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

If setting the convergence isn't working I recommend contacting an authorized repair centre
    Jason

Comment

• Firebird!
      • Aug 2007

I know I can call repair guy and pay him 20 times over the real cost of repairing this tv by myself. The only difference between him and me is that he might know what to do and I am not, that is why I am here asking you guys for real help in fixing this tv, not directing me to a repair center.
      After I paid the pontiac dealer over $500 for replacing the pinion seal and in about 2 years the whole rear most went down because they overtighten the bearing when they put a new seal in - I am not calling no repair centers no more - period.

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Firebird!
        I know I can call repair guy and pay him 20 times over the real cost of repairing this tv by myself. The only difference between him and me is that he might know what to do and I am not
        Well good luck to you then. That's why you pay those guys, they know what they're doing And if you're using a reputable and authorized repair place thy should warranty their own work
        Jason

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Those pictures look like a component failure rather then something you can adjust.

You can do a Google search to see if it's a common problem that is easily fixed by an end user, but most likely it will require a tech with a service manual.

Hopefully it is common and cheap. Mitsu's have a power issue that's $900 for a new board or $10 for four new capacitor's soldered in.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Firebird!
            • Aug 2007

Got it fixed - the picture is better than it was before. I had a convergence chips (IC's) shot. I put up a web page with detailed instructions if any of you guys will have a similar problem. (and from my research it seems that all RPTVs will have that problem sooner or later)

Later
            Firebird!

Comment

• Blackman
              • Oct 2007

I had the same problem with my 53 Inch Sony rear pro except it was the red that was out of wack, I changed both the STK chips at only 24 Australian dollars each + I re soldered most of the board as it had dry joints. (PS always change the both even if only one is dead)
              With my Sony the Convergence board is a separate board and was easy to get at and remove it for repairs and the TV still lives strong today.
              I have a new LG 71SA1D Rear Pro LCoS (1920x1080) also and the convergence adjustment is in a hidden menu but I find it a pain as the Red Vertical is very slightly out all screen and one adjustment pushes it over the other side. The adjustments are to course, they should also have a fine adjustment but I can't find it anywhere, and the Service manual is useless its full of mistakes.
              Blackman

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"