X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ludvig
    • Jan 2006

LCD degradadation over time?

Hi all,

do you have experience of that your LCD projectors are fading in contrast and loose color correctness and uniformity over time, say 1500-2000h?

I just read a report that tested long time performance between several DLP and LCD projectors. This report clearly points out that while performance was comparable between DLP and LCD when the projectors were new, LCD degraded strongly over time while DLP stayed almost unchanged in performance over time.

An industry leader in display and advanced light control solutions

Anything to take notice about in real life when choosing between DLP/LCD?
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

If you search backl in this forum you will find my opinions on this.

My job includes specifyiong and installing video projectors into environements where they run 16 hours a day, 365 a year (theme park rides). LCDs are in fact subject to this degradation, but most projectors will not even begin to show this degradation in less than 6000 hours, regardless of what the rather biased Texas Instruments-funded study says about shorter times.

Also, new generation LCDs which use either Sony's Bi:Na LCD panels (which would be only soon-to-be-released Sony units) or Epson's D5 C2Fine LCD panels (everyone else's projectors but only some current models) are not subject to this degradation as the materials used in the panels have changed to non-organics which do not have this problem.

So the answer with respect to a home theater projector is, unless you will put 2000-3000 hours a year on your PJ (i.e. using it as a TV), or you plan to keep it for 5 years, you will likely never encounter this problem no matter what.

JVC DILA and Sony SXRD projectors are not subject to this at all, nor are some new LCDs which fall into the above category like the newest 1080 LCDs like Mitsubishi's.

BB

Comment

• draganm
      • Jul 2005

hey pick your posion right. You can either wait for the LCD panel to turn Green or the color Wheel to lock-up on your DLP. This is assuming the Bulb doesn't explode before these things even have time to happen.
      I just put in a new set of tubes in my Ginormous CRT projector every 10,000 hours and know I can do that 10 times before the chassis is done. Hope I live that long :B

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Originally posted by draganm
        Hope I live that long :B
        Just be careful all those lcd/dlp PJ guys don't catch up with you. :lol: :lol:
        My Homepage!

Comment

• draganm
          • Jul 2005

I seriously doubt the guys who can afford to buy a brand new Ruby or RS every year give 2 shites about what I think and will be looking for revenge. The only people who get emotional about gear are Analog Audio Turntable and CRT projector owners. I might be one of those guys.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Originally posted by draganm
            I seriously doubt the guys who can afford to buy a brand new Ruby or RS every year give 2 shites about what I think and will be looking for revenge. The only people who get emotional about gear are Analog Audio Turntable and CRT projector owners. I might be one of those guys.
            :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
            My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"