X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sirbogey
    • Mar 2006

repair costs

just my 0.02 cents as a world citizen:

Optoma UK quoted me £295 = $545 for a repair of my EP753 and has no program for upgrades. :Z

Optoma USA's (where I bought if from) quote is $130 for the same thing and has a program for upgrades. Prices are not so attractive though. :lol:
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Yeah, it really doesn't pay to spend money on repairs. So far I haven't owned a projector long enough for it to die beyond warranty, but in the last few years I have purchased these babies with the thought in mind that once they die, forget the repairs and buy something new.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• draganm
      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by sirbogey
      Optoma USA's (where I bought if from) quote is $130 for the same thing and has a program for upgrades. Prices are not so attractive though. :lol:
      that's realy amazing, we had an Optoma here at work and when it died they quoted me a flate rate of $2000. to repair it. The person on the phone flat out said, "it's better to just buy a new one". George is right, these machines are not designed with repair in mind and the $130. quote seems unbelievable.

Comment

• sirbogey
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by draganm
        that's realy amazing, we had an Optoma here at work and when it died they quoted me a flate rate of $2000. to repair it. The person on the phone flat out said, "it's better to just buy a new one". George is right, these machines are not designed with repair in mind and the $130. quote seems unbelievable.
        unbelievable but true. Got a detailed email in no time from them. Parts are on top of that quote.. This might change things...

Comment

• sirbogey
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
          Yeah, it really doesn't pay to spend money on repairs. So far I haven't owned a projector long enough for it to die beyond warranty, but in the last few years I have purchased these babies with the thought in mind that once they die, forget the repairs and buy something new.
          George, I had a look at your homepage. What projector is that in your back in the transparent box??? looks pretty nice!

Comment

• draganm
            • Jul 2005

unbelievable but true. Got a detailed email in no time from them. Parts are on top of that quote..
            yeah I thought that might be the case. If your machine is not a current model then they're either going to claim it's not repairable and stick you with a service charge nontheless, or you will wind up paying close to the cost of a new machine once all is said and done. After 4 years of headaches, do you really want to deal with Optoma any more?
            If your going with another LCD/DLP I would look at other manufactuers, avoid Optoma, Sony, and Benq. They're service record history is abysmal.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

George, I had a look at your homepage. What projector is that in your back in the transparent box??? looks pretty nice!
              That's an old picture. On the floor in front is the Zenith crt and on the wall in back is the Sony VPL400Q lcd projector ( the plastic box is for soundproofing the noisey Sony ). In those days I was using the Zenith for non widescreen viewing and the Sony for widescreen. I no longer own either of these PJs but they are still in the family and still operating.
              My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"