Please help me put this to rest! (with photos)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GeneTheMachine
    • Nov 2004

Please help me put this to rest! (with photos)

I've been looking to get a big "TV" for our new (to us) house since a month ago when we moved in. I narrowed it down to the 51" Toshiba 51H84 but haven't been able to pull the trigger because I started thinking of the advantages of front projection. I'm so in love with the idea now but I have one concern. I'm sure members of this forum can tell me how it is though.

1)

I'm curious as to how often I'll likely be changing projector bulbs, on a calendar year perspective. Yes, very subjective with lots of variables but there have to be some ball park numbers out there. You guys have the systems and can probably guess how many hours of operation your setup averages.

The projector I'm thinking about is the popular Infocus Screenplay 4805. The bulb rating is 4,000... as if I could believe we'd see that kind of duration. If money gets tight (possible with all of our furniture purchases and such), I may opt for a less expensive unit that has a shorter lamp life rating.

The most usage our system will possibly see averages out to the following:
    28 Hours of viewing per week with few on/off cycles per day. That's 112 hours a month and 1344 per year. We don't really watch this much TV though and I'm hoping that we can go at least 1.5 years between bulbs. Is this a reasonable expectation?

This concern is all that's holding me back from making the leap! I hope you have some good news for me! :wink:

2)

Now, look at the fun I'm going to have with curtailing ambient light for daytime viewing! :M

The photo was taken with my Canon G2 (2.0apt. @ 1/8 second) at 2PM MST. I was standing where I intend to have a pull-down screen mounted on the wall. The total room length is 20' 9" and I guess I'll eventually be going with a ceiling mount.

Pardon the mess but I've been more involved in redecorating the upstairs.
    Before...
    ...and after.

The movie room is next though and I can't wait! Red carpet, some cool furniture to buy and my first "TV" bigger than the 27" Sony that I'm happy to have out of my HT system.

Thanks for your help.
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Hi, Gene.

As you already stated, bulb life involves a lot of variables. Many of us into front projection only use their PJs for movies and special events. Myself, I average less than 500 hours a year and this is strictly movie watching, so lamps do last me quite awhile. Now some have had problems lamps that only last a few hundred hours before failure. Fortunately I have been lucky in that regard. But as for yourself, it looks like a FP will get a lot of tv watching usage and I won't say you shouldn't go that route, but on average a front projector lamp is rated around 2000 hours, while an crt RPTV will probably last 10,000 hours or more. If you can afford a new lamp every year ( the little buggers are expensive: anywhere from $300 to $700) then by all means go for the big picture. Otherwise, it may be more economical to go the RPTV route.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

First, light blocking blinds from Lowes or Home Depot could do the trick. I got horizontal minim blind accordian style. Full light blocking.

If you decide to go the cheaper route, Best Buy has the View Sonic PJ51 4:3 aspect, 800 X 600 unit for a mere 899.00. That's not to bad for th is unit. I do most of my viewing on one, as I frequently am to lazy to change the connections to my Z2 equivilent. You will need a good source for TV viewing though on most projectors, especially lower end ones. Lower grade sources will be extremely grainy.

I believe on whisper fan mode this unit is designed to go 4000 hours. It may not make that though. 3000 may be more realistic.

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• GeneTheMachine
        • Nov 2004

Hey George.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry but I put those usage hours at an unrealistic high. Worse case scenario such as...I get hit on my bike and become confined to my home for long term, or I fall in love with my projector and decided that all I need in this world is it and another bag of popcorn. :W

Truth is, I think I own maybe 9 DVDs and watch almost no TV. We rent when something that interests us comes out but I have a long list of stuff that I've never seen that would shock many. Such as Saving Private Ryan, Shrek and even E.T.!

I'll go out on a limb and guess that my system will really only see about 500 hours a year as well. I had to test the waters though in case one of those worse case scenarios came to light. :E

I've decided for certain that I'll be going with front projection so I'll see ya around the forum!

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
        Hi, Gene.

As you already stated, bulb life involves a lot of variables. Many of us into front projection only use their PJs for movies and special events. Myself, I average less than 500 hours a year and this is strictly movie watching, so lamps do last me quite awhile. Now some have had problems lamps that only last a few hundred hours before failure. Fortunately I have been lucky in that regard. But as for yourself, it looks like a FP will get a lot of tv watching usage and I won't say you shouldn't go that route, but on average a front projector lamp is rated around 2000 hours, while an crt RPTV will probably last 10,000 hours or more. If you can afford a new lamp every year ( the little buggers are expensive: anywhere from $300 to $700) then by all means go for the big picture. Otherwise, it may be more economical to go the RPTV route.

Comment

• GeneTheMachine
          • Nov 2004

Hey Lex.

First off it seems we have a couple of things in common. 1) I drive a Bimmer and have been hooked on the fine machines since my first one long ago (635CSi). 2) I'm originally from Knoxville and my entire family still does aside from myself. I went to Halls High.

Your entry-level route caught my eye so I did checking on all of my local sources to see what models they had below $1,500. Best Buy here in the neglected state of Utah doesn't have the machine you spoke of. Something of a let down after reading reviews for that projector.

I found a very well reviewed machine that throws something like a 100" image from only 8 ft though for a retail of $1,300. I should be able to get it for about $1,000 though due to relations I have with the electronic store that carries it here. Here's a link to the projector I speak of... The Epson Powerlite Home 10+ Seems like it would be a great first PJ and best of all replacement bulbs for it are said to be less than $200.

Thanks to Brandon (in another thread) I've found the Infocus 4805 locally as well. I think the deal on that one will be hard to pass on. The machine and a 76" screen for less than I can find the 4805 anywhere else!

Regardless of which I decide on...come Saturday I'll be having some fun. If I haven't made my mind up by then I'm flipping a coin, picking up the winner and a DVD rental. The show starts right after nightfall. :B

Thanks for the words on the accordion blinds. I'll go to Lowes and take a look. I've also decided to go the opposite way with my HT. My screen will be mounted to the ceiling in front of the stairs. Behind the screen there's going to be a black curtain that I can draw across the width of the room. As it turns out, I already have a curtain rod that will work for this. :T Paint and furniture comes later.

Originally posted by Lex
          First, light blocking blinds from Lowes or Home Depot could do the trick. I got horizontal minim blind accordian style. Full light blocking.

If you decide to go the cheaper route, Best Buy has the View Sonic PJ51 4:3 aspect, 800 X 600 unit for a mere 899.00. That's not to bad for th is unit. I do most of my viewing on one, as I frequently am to lazy to change the connections to my Z2 equivilent. You will need a good source for TV viewing though on most projectors, especially lower end ones. Lower grade sources will be extremely grainy.

I believe on whisper fan mode this unit is designed to go 4000 hours. It may not make that though. 3000 may be more realistic.

Lex

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Gene, let us know what PJ you end up with and maybe give us a quick review on it after you get it up and running. BTW, I understand that the Epson is also a hot seller so you will probably be happy whichever Pj you decide on.
            My Homepage!

Comment

• Brandon B
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2001

The Epson is a very well designed little LCD unit. It is built very well, and if you don't want DLP, it is absolutely what I would get in the just-over-$1000 range. Also, according to the Epson rep at a trade show I went to yeterday, it comes with a free 106" diagonal screen right now (I assume if purchased from one of their authorized dealers).

It has absolutely the most versatile placement of any entry level PJ on the market, with a huge range on the optical zoom and horizontal and vertical lens shift.

The InFocus will have better contrast and less screendoor. Both have resolution to match DVD, so the scaler doesn't come into play except for TV, SD & HD.

BB

Comment

• GeneTheMachine
                • Nov 2004

hoo!! Since Friday I've watched 2 movies on my first PJ! :banana:

That day after work I stopped by cost co and picked up the 4805 and free 76" wall or ceiling mount screen. I asked what the return policy was, just in case and was told that if I *ever* want to bring it back I can as long as I'm still a member. I said, "So if I decide after six months that this one just isn't working out for me I could have a full refund?" "As long as you have your receipt." arty:

Well, I'm not likely to do that but at least I know if something goes wrong with it in several months I have a great option to have it resolved quickly.

For my needs I don't see any reason to want another machine. The image I’m getting even down to a bit less than 10 feet is amazing. The two movies I've seen on it so far have been Finding Nemo and Van Helsing. I ran the THX calibration but don't remember really having to change anything.

The screen is low buck and I'll certainly end up replacing it down the road but it will do for now. I don't think I'll be going above 80" however.

We haven't settled on whether we are getting Direct TV, standard cable or HD cable. Not a clue really. Maybe after getting that hooked up I'll see a disadvantage with this PJ. We'll be watching some OLN for the bicycle racing, Discovery, Speedwhatever for the F1 and other such programming but 90% of what hits the screen will be from the DVD player.

I'll share more of my thoughts on this PJ after I've been using it for a little while.

Cheers! :^x

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

There are a lot of happy 4805 owners, Gene, and it looks like you are the latest member of the club. Congrats. We look forward to more of your observations.
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• Brandon B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jun 2001

Love the Costco return policy. Hope it doesn't get abused out of existence.

Congratulations. Welcome to the tot he world of real big screen.

BB

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"