X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GeneTheMachine
    • Nov 2004

Where to buy?

Hi,

I was considering a RPTV for our new home but the weight of the things just kept me thinking "there's got to be a better way". Next thing I know and I'm on Projector Central thinking about how nice it would be to have a 90" view while spending little more than $1,500.

My problem is that I almost always buy locally but projectors like the Infocus 4805 aren't stocked at places like Circuit City.

What are some of the really good online sources? Places I can buy from and have confidence that I"m going to get what I paid for without any games.

Thanks and for now I'm going to read through past threads to help learn what I've gotten myself into. :P

Gene
  • GeneTheMachine
    • Nov 2004

OK, here's an idea...

Slow board on the weekends or something? Well, good content worth coming back again and again for none the less. :T

In any case, looks like I might be hitting that ever popular auction site that many reputable retailers use. Turns out one of the well rated online stores that is frequently linked to from projector central has a long running history of 100% feedback at the auction. That's plenty of assurance for me.

Now back to our regular programming.

Cheers,

Gene

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Just make sure when buying online that the seller is an authorized dealer for whatever make of projector you plan to buy, otherwise say bye bye to the warranty.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Brandon B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2001

It helps if we know where you are, Genemachine.

And they actually are carrying the 4805 at Costco, comes bundles with a screen.

BB

Comment

• Dean McManis
          Moderator Emeritus
          • May 2003

Gene,

It's usually best to go to a proper audio/video store to check out front projectors.
          They have properly setup rooms with light control and some effort in getting the picture and sound correct.

And some places actually have reasonably competitive prices on entry-level projectors (which are getting VERY good now).

After you have seen the different technologies (DLP/LCD/D-ILA/LCOS) then you will be able to put the endless list of specifications (and varying prices) into proper perspective.

-Dean.

Comment

• GeneTheMachine
            • Nov 2004

Hey Brandon, I owe you a brewski!

I actually figured that since I was asking for online sources that it didn't really matter where I was.

Truth is I'm in Northern Utah where it's hard to find anything but what's sold at average Walmart, Circuit City, Best Buy and so on. An hour's drive down to SLC might turn up better results but I'm not there often.

Turns out though that it really paid off for me, that I asked this question here on the forum. Recently a Costco was built up in my area and a call today confirmed that they do have the deal you mentioned (that they don't show online). Pretty amazing considering it's the only projector they stock and I would have never thought to look there. Thanks! :T The next time you come to Northern Utah I'll buy you that beer. :amen:

Dean...thanks for the reply. I certainly would love to go to a proper audio/video store but I haven't found one here that carrys this PJ or that has much of a selection in this price range. I checked the Infocus web site for a dealer near me and the place they listed doesn't answer their phone and isn't listed in the current phone book. :roll: Anyway, since I'm going for something that seems to be unanimously liked I doubt I'll be having many regrets buying before trying. I'm easily pleased most times anyway and the best TV I've had so far is a 27" Sony. Yours is still good advice though and well appreciated.

Cheers :^x

Originally posted by Brandon B
            It helps if we know where you are, Genemachine.

And they actually are carrying the 4805 at Costco, comes bundles with a screen.

BB

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"