X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GeneTheMachine
    • Nov 2004

Geez...help this newbie out on an RPTV

Hey I'm new to the forum and new to RPTV CRTs. I'm looking to pick something up soon though so I went out to my local places and started haggling. I'm pretty fair at getting at least a couple hundred off the marked price but I'm not really sure what the better deal is of what I came up with today.

Here is a quick breakdown and I'd like to hear a few member's ideas on what's the better value. Second best to I suppose.

1) Mitsubishi WS55315 for $1,469 before tax & all.

2) Toshiba 51H84 for $1,449 before tax.

3) Hitachi 51S715 for $1799 before tax. Place is the only one carrying Hitachi and I could tell they know it.

4) Mitsubishi WS48515 for $1,699 before tax.

Thanks for the help!

Gene
  • GeneTheMachine
    • Nov 2004

Oh yeah...and I was wondering if it was really a good idea to foot the extra cash for a model with the built in HD Tuner. Isn't that like buying a TV with a built in VCR?

Thanks again,

Gene

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

I wouldn't bother getting a set with a built-in HD tuner at this time. It's only useful for over-the-air broadcasts. For cable or dish HD, you'd need an external box anyway, so the built-in tuner would be a waste.

The first two look like the best deals. All three brands (Mitsubishi, Hitachi, Toshiba) make great sets. The WS48515 has the HD tuner built in, hence it's higher price for a 48" screen. The WS55315 is a 55" set without the HD tuner.

Whatever set you get, it'll need to be tweaked to get the best picture out of them. Consider investing in a copy of the Avia DVD.

What size set are you looking to get?

Comment

• GeneTheMachine
        • Nov 2004

Thanks for the thoughts on the built in tuner Keven.

The room I have to work with is far from ideal and about the most distance I can get from the screen will be around 7 feet. Thus I'd like a 51 or so.

I have 5.1 surround using 4 Klipsch RF3s and I'm wondering how I'm going to place those rear/side speakers. We just moved into a house with a smaller A/V area but on the plus side I'm about ready to buy my first big TV! It's an L shaped space and I think I"m going need to flip a coin to decide where the set's gonna go.

So aside from size, any thoughts between the 51 Tosh and 55 Mitsu? They're both at the same place.

Gene

Comment

• Shane Martin
          Super Senior Member
          • Apr 2001

Size is everything for me. The extra few bucks for the 55" is worth it. I would get the 55" Mits w/o batting an eye.

Definitely consider a copy of avia with your purchase and if you don't have kids, I would DEFINITELY consider removing the protective screen. It made a big difference on mine.

It's no surprise the Hitachi is higher priced. I couldn't get them within $400 of the Mits and I felt the Mits had equal or better PQ.

Regarding Toshibas, the ISF guys I talked to didn't recommend them. Alot of that is the lack of tweakability and their upconversion to 540P. They all recommended the Mits or the Hitachi over the Toshiba. At that point I just decided what is the best size.

Depending on how close you sit, this will determine what is best. I sit back 10 feet from my 55 and its perfect. Any closer and the 48 is best. If you sit much farther back, then you might consider saving up a bit more for the 65". Sitting too close to a large set is not a good idea due to how things look on screen(artifacts etc). Granted HD improves this but not THAT much. My father in law sits 10 feet from his 65 and its WAY too big for his room. If he moved his couch back then it would be perfect.

No matter which path you take, you still will be 1 grand under(atleast) the competiting technologies and your blacks will be better and your wallet will be thicker :lol:

Comment

• Foxman
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Kevin P
            I wouldn't bother getting a set with a built-in HD tuner at this time. It's only useful for over-the-air broadcasts. For cable or dish HD, you'd need an external box anyway, so the built-in tuner would be a waste.

I have a follow up question about the OTA tuner part of the CRT's. I have decided on a Mitsu 48" and was planning on the 48515. I am not planning on upgrading to D-TV's HD soon since I would have to shell out a grand in order to keep my Tivo and get HD. So, question I have, wouldnt having the built in tuner be worth it to have if a person werent going to be getting a paid HD signal?
            IMO

My Movies
            Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• soundhound
              • Mar 2004

Sounds like where you are geographicaly has a great deal to do with it. If you are near a bigger city with a few stations you could benefit. I finally convinced myself after having the hdtv for 3 mos 1st, get the new denon hd dvd, 2nd, Iv'e got this damn hd monitor, I may as well spend the $400 on the new triple lnb dish and reciever, and subscription from dtv. As Kevin stated earlier you could take the xtra $$ from the built in tuner and put it towards something that will net you more HD, be it dtv, dvd, ??? Someone posted a listing for cities across the US that are broadcasting so you could check and see if it would pay to have the tuner on board.

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Foxman
                So, question I have, wouldnt having the built in tuner be worth it to have if a person werent going to be getting a paid HD signal?
                Yes and no. IMO you're better off spending the same money on an external unit that can be upgraded seperately, repaired (hopefully not ) seperately etc. Also it will likely be more flexible / have more features and as already mentioned, for cable/sattelite you'll need an external box anyways unless the TV accepts cable cards (and you SP carries them) which are still very limited in their functionality. Ie: no PPV, VOD etc.

Jason
                Jason

Comment

• GeneTheMachine
                  • Nov 2004

Thanks for those of you that responded with advice. :T

If you're interested in what I bought...

I didn't go RPTV at all but instead bought the amazing Infocus Screenplay 4805 projector and got a free 76" screen with it(for $1,399 at cost co). This after doing much research.

The image I'm getting is as beautiful as any actual TV I've ever seen, yet bigger. I think the 4,000 hour bulb life will be nice too, in comparison to many other front projectors.

Thanks again and now let the show begin! opcorn:

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Another one sucked into the world of FP! Yay! We win!
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"