X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

Itching for Constant Height

The urge to have scope aspect movies be the biggest thing I watch has become nearly impossible to ignore. So I am getting close to springing for a new wider (but very slightly shorter) screen, 54"x127" or maybe a tad more. To maintain a watchable image however, has been the obstacle.

My 1366x768 LCD 20HD has visible artifacts at the 10-11 foot viewing distance I have now, and my screen is "only" 119" diagonal 16:9. I had been considering a new projector (notably the upcoming Canon) with less artifacting, but was a little reluctant to jump as I think it's a little early to get improvement in all the parameters I'd like in my budget (contrast in particular).

Now, however, I am seeing reviews of an optical device that supposedly addresses this issue. I had seen discussion of it where it was not universally well thought of, although most thought it had a generally positive effect on LCD PJs, and to a much lesser extent, DLPs. The opinions I have seen of recently would suggest the softening effect the some describe are not really present. Combined with an anamorphic lens, I seems as though I may able to satisfy my urge for wall to wall movie goodness for half what the cheapest projector alternative would have run me. Looking at Prismasonic's new H1000 lens for that end of things. It has the nice feature of not needing to swing out of the optical path when not needed, as well as improved performance in minimizing optical distortion and chromatic aberration when in use. Not as good as an Isco III, but those are close to $5K. Ouch.

At last, I may be able to become nauseated again when watching snowspeeders fly terrain-hugging flight paths while searching for Luke and Han.

BB
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I like the idea of the widest possible scope picture but my HT room narrows where the screen is located and I am left with only 10 feet to work with. My 2:35 stuff is 8 feet wide and that's about the best I can get so I pretty much am stuck with a 1:85 screen setup. Even though the back wall is 14 feet wide, due to other limitations in the shape of the room, it would be just too expensive to start trying to change things around. If I was doing things from scratch again, though, I would be going for a really big constant height screen.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Dean McManis
      Moderator Emeritus
      • May 2003

I have an ISCO II anamorphic lens and it helps fill the 13.5' width of my 16:9 screen.

When used with my 4:3 D-ILA projectors, I keep the lens in place and alter the size of the input image. And when used with my 16:9, LCD FPTV I use it for 2.35:1 images.

At certain projected image sizes the LCD pixel gap interferes with the perforated screen creating moire lines in the projected image. But luckily the image without the lens is smaller than the moire range, and the anamorphic lens makes the image larger than the problem range.

I have had 3 anamorphic lenses so far (ISCO I/ISCO II, and Panamorph) and I haven't had problems with pulling the lens out of the light path from time to time. It's still very convenient to use daily.

-Dean.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"