• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Spoiler Capable?

Mats/Lex,

Do we have the capability with CFB to opaque any "spoiler" information? Specifically, this is for the Movies section. I tried the and then with the instead of the [ ], neither of which worked. Thanks.

- David -

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • Mats
    Special Member
    • Jun 2000

Anything is possible... If I only knew what you meant by Spoiler

Mats
    HTGuide
    Mats
    Mats Strömberg
    Ah! It's a profit deal! Takes the pressure off! Get your weight guessed right here! Only a buck! Actual live weight guessing! Take a chance and win some crap!
    Navin R Johnson (alias Steve Martin)

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Hey Mats,

Spoilers are give-aways to a movie plot, thus "spoiling" the suspense. I've seen other forums that have the capability when using the CFB code to put a black box over any give-away text by inclosing it in the following tags:

The text that will give away the villain of the movie.

When someone is reading the thread, a black shape covers the text between the tags making it unreadable. Have you seen this?

- David -

Comment

• Mats
        Special Member
        • Jun 2000

nope, never...
        What exactly do you want ot to do. Generate a block with Black text on black background. ? Visible if the select the text with the cursor though...
        That's failry simple todo by using a stylesheet. Just let me know if this is what you want and I can fix that

Mats
        HTGuide
        Mats
        Mats Strömberg
        Ah! It's a profit deal! Takes the pressure off! Get your weight guessed right here! Only a buck! Actual live weight guessing! Take a chance and win some crap!

Comment

• Mats
          Special Member
          • Jun 2000

OK, Now we have a SPOILER function that reveals the text on MouseOver.
          This Text should show up now

Mats
          HTGuide
          Mats
          Mats Strömberg

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

duplicate post

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Burke Strickland
              • Sep 2001

Mats -

We are pleased that you have implemented a really slick "spoiler" feature that reveals the contents by just moving the mouse onto the blocked area -- IOW, just pointing the mouse somewhere on the area instead of mimicing the kludgly style of that "other forum" whereby you have to carefull drag the mouse over the entire hidden text area to be revealed. If you miss a line when trying to highlight the blocked area doing it that other way, too bad -- you don't see it. I really like it better the way you did it. (Since we are NOT trying to become a replica of "that other forum", are we?) :>)

Thanks -

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Mats,

Yes, that's exactly what I was referring to. Now, how do I implement this? Do I enclose the word spoiler in [ ] or to start it and /spoiler to end it? I don't seem to be able to get it working. What I'm getting is the tags are invisible, but the text between still shows up. I'm using Netscape v4.7 here at the house.

Thanks for all your work on this.

Comment

• Mats
                  Special Member
                  • Jun 2000

use [ spoiler ]blah[ /spoiler ] without the spaces ofcourse.
                  I havn't tested it on Netscape to be honest and that old browser might behave differently.

Mats
                  HTGuide
                  Mats
                  Mats Strömberg

Comment

• Mats
                    Special Member
                    • Jun 2000

Originally posted by David Meek
                    I don't seem to be able to get it working. What I'm getting is the tags are invisible, but the text between still shows up. I'm using Netscape v4.7 here at the house.

Thanks for all your work on this.
                    I can now confirm that this niffty feature doesn't work on Netcrap 4.7x. I will have to work on some solution for this.
                    The Text doesn't show up and are having a black box over it so the stylesheet works in that sence, but the MouseOver feature does not reveal the content. Currently the only way is to mark the text which is a pain... Then again Netscape is a pain..
                    I'll see if I can figure something out.

Mats
                    HTGuide
                    Mats
                    Mats Strömberg

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Mats,

Don't worry about it just for my sake. I'll just upgrade my browser. Thanks.

Comment

• David Meek
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Wow! It's amazing the difference a current version of software makes! I'm on v6.2 now and the spoilers are working just fine.

Comment

• Mats
                          Special Member
                          • Jun 2000

Yes 6.x of Netcrap is starting to support the DOM and it will hopefully get a bit better on the compatibillity issues between NS and IE.
                          It is a real pain to do cross browser development theese days where NS has totally lost the control over the situation. For a developer it's not worth bothering about somthing like 8% of the visitors anymore. It's just too expensive.
                          I'm still gonna work on a solution for old NS browsers though, but it might take some time.

Mats
                          HTGuide
                          Mats
                          Mats Strömberg

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"