X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

HTGuide on my desktop doesn't show any sponsor links

Weird... when I use my laptop to use the Guide, I get standard pages with everything on there that I think is supposed to be. When I use my desktop to connect (over the same cable modem) I get the same standard page, but I just noticed that there's no sponsor links at the top or bottom. I think it's been like that for a while for me, too.

Strange.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Chris,

Do you have any anti-spyware products. I used to have several and with their ad-blocker / pop-up blocker settings some of them would turn off all / most sponsor ads. Thatt would be my bet. :banana:

Geoff

Comment

• Patt
      • Feb 2005

Funny you guys mention this.....There never has been any Sponser Links that I can see.
      We have Norton Anti-Virus and security. Maybe I'll play with the settings and see what happens.
      ......Pat

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

Check for any ad-blockers you might have, say built into a firewall such as ZoneAlarm or Norton Internet Security. These are the most common culprits.

Fortunately, the HTG sponsor links are simple banners, no animation or anything and they aren't a doubleclick.net type of junk ad that drops cookies, so the usual reasons for blocking them don't apply. They're small and static so they don't slow down surfing either.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Well, the funny thing is, I'm running the exact same operating configuration on both computers, as far as I know, including Win XP, Norton AV, and Norton IS. The only thing I can think of is periodically I run Ad-Aware on my desktop to check for spyware, but it's not like it's running all the time. And I don't get Red X's at the top of the screen, nor the banner that any items have been blocked, like anti-pop-up. The page just starts with the HTGuide logo at the top left. No sponsor links at the bottom of the page, either, but everything else is there. I haven't noticed this with any other sites.
          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Ad Aware will not get rid of ads on a regular basis, or any basis. It takes a product that interacts with every page display. Norton Security (IS) is probably what is doing this.
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Patt
              • Feb 2005

Hey Cool....
              I disabled the Norton stuff and I can then see the links and banners.
              ......Pat

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Well, I'll try it out. Like I said, though, I'm running the same configuration on both my laptop and desktop, and haven't noticed this with any other sites.
                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"