X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RAW
    • Apr 2003

Extremis 261 finished

Now off to Adire in the AM. Will be ready for those wanting to view them.
    :T

Veneered in Tigerwood veneer that has some nice figures in spots.

Al
    Got love exotic veneer !
  • Kingdaddy
    • Jan 2004

Beautiful finish, very nice work. How do they sound?
    My Center Channel Project

Comment

• RAW
      • Apr 2003

Well I can say I have built now close to 100 plus speakers this past year and nothing hits the way these do for a 2 way at all.
      Nothing.

My wife has listened to every speaker we have made if I had the parts to complete them as some we just do cabinets but over 100 fully assembled and these today she was left speechless. :T
      She wanted a tower desing that when she is around the house the walls rock and roll (her words)
      And these final fit her well.She said ( these are staying correct) no off to Adire.
      But i will build her a pair.For the bed room she said.
      Can we build a pair with 4 of them drivers and a tweeter, for the family room.
      Sure will :B

Very stong low end mids smooth and highs from the Usher very good.
      Over all well done design.

Now on to the LCRs for Dan.

Al
      Got love exotic veneer !

Comment

• maximumshow
        • Nov 2004

Those look awesome! I think I'm glad now that I held out on buying the 281s... The extremis models look and sound like they shouldn't disappoint.

Comment

• Scott Simonian
          • Nov 2004

[Cartman voice]"Sweet!"[/Cartman voice]

Love the finish. What kind of tweet is that on the LCR?
          My Sound Splinter 18's each in 25cuft boxes w/ EP2500

Comment

• RAW
            • Apr 2003

They both use the Usher 9950c-15

The LCR has the CSS125S in a sealed cabinet volume with the twin Extremis ported in another volume.

Thanks for the comments on the cabinets.
            After having them playing for a few hrs tonight, every one that walked in swore up and down we had a sub playing.
            Till I said for them to disconnect the speakers.Once they did the look on there face beyond priceless :}

Al
            Got love exotic veneer !

Comment

• Scott Simonian
              • Nov 2004

What kind of crossover did you use? Same question for the LCR.
              My Sound Splinter 18's each in 25cuft boxes w/ EP2500

Comment

• Kramer
                • Jan 2005

Al

Any word (or ETA) on the 641 version? I figure it should have a better mid-range.

Originally posted by Scott Simonian
                You'll have to buy the kit.

Comment

• RAW
                  • Apr 2003

All the kits are being tested completely and listened to for break in time then remodified if needed.Relistened to ect.
                  All the kits must be 100% complete before releasing them
                  The kits will be available from CSS,DIY Cable ,Acoustic Vision.

Now throw a OEM ribbon in the mix Now we are talking.Coming soon from RAW.
                  MT and MTM using the CSS 4.5 are finished
                  MT with the Extremis following with a side firing 3way using the ribbon,CSS125S Extremis.

641 I still have to rebuild the test cabinets for a different location of the mid box and retest.

few more weeks my guess :}

Al
                  Got love exotic veneer !

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Scott Simonian
                    A lot of folks have been asking about an MMT or MTM design with the Extremis- I've about finished a preliminary design evaluation using the soon to be released RS28a-4 tweeter, which appears to be based on the Usher 9950 platform, sourced through them, but uses an aluminum dome, and copper rings on both the pole piece and pole plate, for lower distortion.

This combination shold be quite dynamic and clean. The RS28a is expected to be released by Parts Express fairly soon, sometime in April. I'll post the tentative crossover design in a thread later this week.

~Jon
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                    Obi-Wan
                    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• mante
                      • Jul 2004

thanks

Thank you.
                      Last edited by mante; 07 April 2005, 08:43 Thursday.

Comment

• RAW
                        • Apr 2003

I posted pictures of the speakers that Dan from Adire designed.
                        That is a line I know about and pick my words.

Along with helping out those asking for designs.
                        I do not sell the designs at all.

Al
                        Got love exotic veneer !

Comment

• JonMarsh
                          Mad Max Moderator
                          • Aug 2000

We enjoy seeing folks who're building DIY kits report on ther experience and perceptions regarding those products. We "might" draw the line at posts from those who have a business selling kits and DIY projects at making overly commercial or self promoting kinds of posts- yet personally, I'm sort of a John Stewert Mills kind of guys, and figure that anything which is the true flow of information for the DIY community is a good thing.

OTOH, that also means that if one of the many outfits offering DIY projects for sale came in here making a case for their kits or plans over a pure DIY project being discussed or kicked around on the forum, there alternative would become, in a sense, fair game for contention- analysis, discussion, and criticism, too.

Neither Thomas nor myself or, for that matter, any other regular posters that I can think of are doing this in any kind of business sense- it's just a hobby, and sharing ideas and information to the betterment of everyone's knowledge.

Obviously, people who do this for a living or at least part of their living, deserve some real respesct for the effort and commitment it takes on many levels to get that deeply involved- I've worked for some small businesses like that, (many, many years ago), and I know it's one of the more difficult challenges to take on- I have friends with fairly successful operations that are NOT DIY in any sense who've made a go of it, and I have tremendous respect for what they've learned and accomplished.

OTOH, those involved in DIY for sale, as one could describe BESL, LInkwitz Labs, Selah Audio, GR Research, MurphyBlaster Productions, Salk Sound, Ellis Audio, etc, have arisen from the pure DIY community, and are working to straddle the divide between mass produced commercial products and the dedicated hobbyist, with something more accessable to someone with woodworking skills or the ability to solder. I'd just as soon see one of their products sold as a "conventional" HiFi product like B&W or Energy, for example- but it's not the same kind of DIY as we're talking about here. These companies have dedicated web sites and often also have sponsored forums side by side with the smaller "botique" non DIY manufacturers.

Since this is a private web site, and speakers from different DIY manufacturers are not in competition with the website's owner's business, it's not really for me to say that we have any objection to any discussion (within reason) on their part- that means you, too, Dan- drop in anytime on one of our DIY threads with any relevant comments about how we're using your products, and how you prefer to see them used.

Expect that these guys will get constructive feedback from us, and maybe even critical feedback from time to time. We're especially open to dialog and discussion about our measurements and design techniques- but then that should be a two way street, and so far, most of the DIY businesse guys (excepting Dennis Murphy) are not that open about discussing the details of their products - maybe they dont' feel the value proposition, absent thier IP, is competitive? OTOH, I think anyone doing this as a business should be being in quantities and through channels which allows them some reasonable markup compared to the retail cost of parts which one of us small volume experimenters would spend.

'Nuff said for now.

Comments?

~Jon
                          the AudioWorx
                          Natalie P
                          M8ta
                          Modula Neo DCC
                          Modula MT XE
                          Modula Xtreme
                          Isiris
                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                          Minerva Monitor
                          Calliope
                          Ardent D

In Development...
                          Obi-Wan
                          Modula PWB
                          Calliope CC Supreme
                          Natalie P Ultra
                          Natalie P Supreme
                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

One correction...

Hi Jon,

I just wanted to point out that to the best of my knowledge, Dennis Murphy doesn't charge for his designs and will refuse money if offered. He has been involved with Dave Ellis and Jim Salk designing crossovers for some of the speakers they offer and of course won't share those designs, his are freely offered. Jeff Bagby also has designed crossovers for Jim Salk and Jeff is also not in the business.

I'm pleased that all of them and you are offering an alternative to commercial speakers. DIY is great! :T

Best regards,

Jim

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                            OTOH, those involved in DIY for sale, as one could describe BESL, LInkwitz Labs, Selah Audio, GR Research, MurphyBlaster Productions, Salk Sound, Ellis Audio, etc, have arisen from the pure DIY community, and are working to straddle the divide between mass produced commercial products and the dedicated hobbyist, with something more accessable to someone with woodworking skills or the ability to solder. I'd just as soon see one of their products sold as a "conventional" HiFi product like B&W or Energy, for example- but it's not the same kind of DIY as we're talking about here. These companies have dedicated web sites and often also have sponsored forums side by side with the smaller "botique" non DIY manufacturers.

~Jon

Comment

• JonMarsh
                              Mad Max Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

Thanks for the update and correction, Jim. Dennis deserves a lot of credit for what he's done for the community.

Best regards,

Jon
                              the AudioWorx
                              Natalie P
                              M8ta
                              Modula Neo DCC
                              Modula MT XE
                              Modula Xtreme
                              Isiris
                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                              Minerva Monitor
                              Calliope
                              Ardent D

In Development...
                              Obi-Wan
                              Modula PWB
                              Calliope CC Supreme
                              Natalie P Ultra
                              Natalie P Supreme
                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• dawaro
                                • Feb 2005

Is this design going to be made public or only available in a kit form? Would that not be the biggest factor to the question of whether it should be posted here or not?
                                I am not Dawaro the muslim state in Ethiopia...Just DAvid WAyne ROberts

Comment

• RAW
                                  • Apr 2003

EDIT by moderator. This post contained links to .pdf files for the LCR and 261 designs that are available on the CSS website.
                                  _______________________________________________

Yes they are along with a list of others designed with the Extremis.

Al :T
                                  Got love exotic veneer !

Comment

• ThomasW
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Okay this is the problem we invariably run into when someone posts about a product (either prototype or finished design) that's been created for resale either assembled or as a kit.

EDIT by moderator, I am informed that RAW did not receive direct monetary compensation for building the 261. I apologize for that erroneous assumption. However given that he does sell completed loudspeakers using the brands discussed in this thread, it does blur the line and create confusion between DIY and product advertisement

There would be more latitude were Adire or CSS a sponsor for HT-Guide. Since they aren't, in the future I think it's best to avoid threads like this.
                                    Last edited by ThomasW; 08 April 2005, 02:06 Friday.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
                                    😀
                                    😂
                                    🥰
                                    😘
                                    🤢
                                    😎
                                    😞
                                    😡
                                    👍
                                    👎
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"