X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Dark City DVD is a hit!

People may or may not be aware of a 1998 movie called "Dark City". It's one that did not do well in the box office. However, I've found it to be an excellent, intellectual movie. Roger Ebert has rated it tops as well.

Without giving away movie information, it is a very dark sci-fi movie with multiple film and genre connections. For me, I see very obvious influences upon The Matrix, which came out the very next year. A movie like this will never be an Academy Award winner, and it's not even "best-ever" candidate material for me. But it's VERY good, and something that MUST be in my collection. Like the Matrix, it opeates on many levels, being very intellectual and raising fascinating themes.

For those who play it in a home theater, you're going to want to control every bit of light in your room. Like the title says, this movie is possibly the blackest, darkest movie ever with very, very few scenes with significant lighting. A lot happens in shadows. Also, for those who have deep reaching subwoofers, you'll find them engaged constantly throughout the movie. Not necessarily with explosions and action (which there is, too) but there are constant sustained bass notes and sound down around the 30Hz range that ebbs into your body. Wow... it's quite impressive. Many home theater enthusiasts hold this DVD to be reference material for these things.

Roger Ebert has an audio commentary track on the DVD that is very good. Not quite at the level of his "Citizen Kane" commentary, which might possibly be the best commentary ever, but still very insightful. I'm watching/listening to the commentary while I type this. DANG, I love having a computer in my theater!

Oh, yes, and Jennifer Connelly is always great to look at!!!
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Couldn't agree more with Chris on this film. I have had it in my collection since it came out on dvd. I have watched it several times. And, oh yeah, you better have your tv/projector calibrated properly for black level detail or you will miss things happening in the shadows. This is one dvd that has made me really appreciate my NEC dlp PJ over my older Sony lcd PJ. The NEC does very well with black level detail. Not as good as crt, but close.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Ditto, had this one for years and is great demo material for black levels and sound as mentioned. Also as mentioned, the story is quite ineteresting and entertaining. :T :T

Jason
      Jason

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Zzzzzzzz. . . snort. . . cough. (sounds of snoozing moderator waking up) Huh? Someone mention Jennifer Connelly? :drool:

Seriously tho' this is one of my favorite DVDs/movies. It'd get strong consideration for a "12 DVDs to take to a desert island" list. It was very much underrated and under advertised when it came out. Fortunately I caught it at the theater on a whim. Good casting, good cinematography, good story - what else could you ask for?

PS, that little kid really creeped me out.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

Yes, I own this DVD as well, it is a different kind of movie, but very interesting, just a little Dark 8) , but as previously mentioned intellectually stimulating. I haven't watched it since I have owned my Rotel gear and have upgraded my HT. I'll guess I'll have to do that, I love good acoustical reference material. Thanks gentlemen for the recommendation.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

If you really want to be creeped out, go to the special features of the disc, and then enter the "Go to Shell Beach" part. It's a fairly fun little game where you have to find clues hidden among the special features of the disc, little items you can click on, and then the final one will bring you to Shell Beach.

hint: you've got to click on each item in sequence. If you find an item that the clues haven't led you to yet, and you click on it, you'll get that clue, but the end item won't bring you to Shell Beach anymore.
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"