X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Preacherman
    • Jan 2004

Grrrrrrrrrr !!!

I bought 5 DVD's in the sale rack for $7 a piece.

Life of Brian
    Hudson Hawk
    Time Bandits
    Deep Impact
    Enemy at the Gate

I have stared at them on my desk for 3 days loathing the next step after purchase. The unwrapping. Why on earth do they have to put those annoying, aggravating, so smooth to the touch you almost tear into the case cover, super adhesive security tape thingies on all 3 open sides of the DVD case ? Then wrap the sucker in plastic. :banghead: Don't you think one is enough. I mean, if someone gets the plastic off in the store, sight unseen, don't you think you’re going to notice them using their teeth to get that thingy off. And why do they call it a security device? It's tape for crying out loud!

Sorry, just had to vent. :rant:...... :blink:
    Bruce

Individuality - Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

You're not alone in your disgust!!!

I'm so happy when I get the tape that just gently pulls off, but that is the exception, not the rule. Sometimes, it is almost unavoidable ripping the plastic cover to the case.

:M
    Keith

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I feel your pain!

The outer wrap and one security label is enough. If the thief has a knife, it doesn't take any longer to cut through one, two or three labels. Plus, all that excess glue that stays on the plastic is annoying. I keep a bottle of GooGone around just to help remove it.

Grrrrrrrr is right.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

The tape is a misguided attempt to deter theft by slitting the plastic and removing the disc from the case. Note I say misguided, as one time I bought a DVD at Best Buy, brought it home, removed the shrink wrap, removed ALL THREE of those stupid security stickers, opened the case, and found a blank CD-R inside.

Apparently, someone bought the disc, took it home, peeled the stickers without damaging them, swapped out the disc, then resealed the case, shrinkwrapped it and returned it for a refund.

So that's proof positive that the stickers don't work. A better deterrent would be to put the stickers on the OUTSIDE of the shrink wrap. This would make the package easier to open, and it would make it impossible to re-shrinkwrap the package and return it as unopened. Any tampering would be more evident, since if they slit the wrap to get the disc out, they would slit the sticker as well.

Also, they should make the shrinkwrap tearable, not that impossible-to-remove cellophane crap they use now, where you have to use a knife, chisel, and a blowtorch to remove it, and then you have to deal with the stickers afterward.

Comment

• Gordon Moore
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Feb 2002

I wrecked the case to Contact one time (you know,carboard front....tape too sticky :M ). The tape actually pulled the grpahic off the cover, had to take it back and get another. The clerk looked suprised but was actually quite accomodating. Tape and carboard covers don't mix. Fortunately that's not as common anymore.

I hear you though... :cry:
          Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

I usually use a sharp knife to get things started, but I have still run into cases where I have to peel the damn stickers off in little pieces. Grrrrr is right, :M
            My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

:rofl: Funny thread...but sadly true.... :evil:

Jason
              Jason

Comment

• Bam!
                Super Senior Member
                • Jan 2004

...so then buy them used! :lol:

O.K. no but seriously I hear you...the worst is after all that hard work and the DvD is a complete piece of junk!

Now you have a 10$ frisbee with a F%^%ed up carrying case! :rofl:
                Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Preacherman
                  • Jan 2004

:unsure: That’s a relief; I thought it was just me.
                  The worst of course is the real cheap DVD's that the tape on all three tears every 2 centimeters. :M
                  Bruce

Individuality - Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Comment

• NMyTree
                    • May 2004

A friend of mine used to work in Wal-Mart, and he's told me stories about people coming in with a razorblade in their pocket.......slicing the ends with all that freakin' tape, and simply removing the DVD disc out of the case ...and into their pockets.

He said that one night, they found over 90 DVD cases that had been sliced open, and the DVD removed.

Pathetic. It amazes me how people can be so low. I hate thiefs!!! :M

I also struggle to get the clear, plastic wrap off and then the sticky tape off....and I remove every single one of those magnetic "Security Devices" ......when I get them home.

Takes almost as long to remove all that crap...as it takes to watch the movie.
                    Tony

Comment

• Dean McManis
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • May 2003

I feel your pain Deacon.

I always have a sense of dread with the "security" tape, and cardboard cases. 8O :M And I definitely have a couple wrecked DVD cases from that (poor security solution) tape sticking. :x
                      But I've started to get fairly skilled in removing the tape strips without damaging the case and graphics.

It would be great if they came up with a better solution!

-Dean.

Comment

• David Meek
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by NMyTree
                        A friend of mine used to work in Wal-Mart, and he's told me stories about people coming in with a razorblade in their pocket.......slicing the ends with all that freakin' tape, and simply removing the DVD disc out of the case ...and into their pockets.

He said that one night, they found over 90 DVD cases that had been sliced open, and the DVD removed.
                        My point exactly. One, two or three stickers won't slow down a crook with a blade. Just put one on the case and leave it at that. That'll keep the honest people from messing with it. :duh:

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

I feel the exact same way about copyright protection. You're not going to stop the criminal intent on stealing media from the store or off a DVD or from their TV service provider. So why add cost to the product for the honest consumer who actually wants to buy the product. Nevermind that if the price was reduced by not adding the costs of all the copyright protection schemes, with all their complexities, the price could go down and there'd be even less reason for people to steal the products!

Jason
                          Jason

Comment

• Brandon B
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Kevin P
                            Apparently, someone bought the disc, took it home, peeled the stickers without damaging them, swapped out the disc, then resealed the case, shrinkwrapped it and returned it for a refund.
                            I would think more likely it happened at the packaging plant.

BB

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                              • Jan 2004

Some packaging take it a step further and compound the frustration by adding that ridge around the DVD seat so that when you push the center release button and the disc pops free you still cant get you fingers behind the disc to remove it from the case. Some have center buttons that are so tight you have to pry the DVD from the case or break the first time you press them. I also got burned on a DVD from Amazon.com, 3 DVD's in a row (Innovators live in concert) were blank, the disc had a label and everything, looked good but would not play on any of my or friends dvd players. Took it to a computer with a DVD ROM burner and looked at the disc, blank, no data. Was able to return all but 1 that was from a used DVD shop online that Amazon uses. Found the publisher and e-mailed them explaining that they released a shipment of blank DVD's but never got a reply.

Obviously the packaging companies have a lot to work on, but since I have a 400 disc changer now, I really don’t care as I don’t have to fumble with the cases any more. So I just slit with a knife all around and remove the disc and never bother getting the stickers off since I don’t use the case anymore.
                              My Center Channel Project

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"