X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Underworld

Verrrryyyy interesting, but not very scary. Flick is about a war between vampires and werewolves. Lots of action and extremely loud soundtrack. Had to turn volume down by 5 clicks. I rented and don't think I will bother to buy. This is a one time watcher for me.
    :3:

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • Whistler
    • Aug 2003

It isn't that bad, if you like Blade you will also like this movie . I can't wait untill part 2 and 3 are finished.

The Mainframe
    The Mainframe

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Now I liked the first Blade but wasn't all that fond of Blade 2. But you are right, there are similarities between Blade and Underworld. As for me, I won't be watching for any Underworld sequels. But if you like this sort of subject matter, I'm sure the sequels will be pleasing.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I enjoyed this film!. I thought the story was interesting (the relationship betweent Vamps & Wolfs). The acting was as expected. So, I was not disappointed.

And yes George, the sound was loud! 8) But it was also quite good. I could hear a ton of things going on behind me and I only have a 5.1 system. Lots of DEEP bass too!!!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

A guy on my flight crew brought this on our trip, and we watched it in his hotel room last night on a laptop. I actually really liked it! It may be a purchase for me. Sequel(s) are definitely set up, and we'll have to see if they're released or not. You can tell that it was heavily influenced by both Blade and the Matrix, which is not bad. Not the best of movies, but I liked it. Very dark in colors as well. I'd like to see it on a good system.

CHRIS
          Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• John Styrnol
            • Nov 2002

I liked it alot. Has some awesome low-end EFX.

John

My Home Theater
            My Home Page
            John

My Home Theater
            My Home Page

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Personally, I thought it was great! It was a no-brainer purchase for me. FWIW, here's my review of the film itself: Underworld.

David - HTGuide flunky
              Our "Theater"
              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                • Jan 2002

I watched this film for a second time and like it even more now. I guess it made more sense and I was surprised at the little things I picked up on the second time around.

It was like a constant rumbling from the sub throughout the movie but I liked the overall sound very much as the movie itself.

It so happened that I watched it by myself the first time and thought it so-so... almost wondering if I should have purchased it. Then a couple of buddies came over and I let them pick out a movie. They picked this one and they thought it was awesome too. A good movie for showing off the HT room.

I'll definitely watch this one again and look forward to the sequels.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• Glen
                  • Dec 2003

Loved it! I actually though it was a Blade sequel the first time I say the comercial for it.

I'm a big sci-fi, horror movie buff - so this one was right up my alley. I love it when they put a new twist on old plots.

My favorite scene in the movie is when she jumps off the tall building. When she lands she that subtle sorta skip and keeps walking. Very cool!

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Guess what?!?!?!?! There's an R3 extended verion about to be released with 23 more minutes of footage! WHEN DOES IT COME TO R1? you may ask. Well, how about May 25th! Yeah baby! :banana: :banana: :banana:

DVD Times (UK)

David - HTGuide flunky
                    Our "Theater"
                    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Eduardo
                      Moderator emeritus
                      • Jun 2002

:banna:

Glad I didn't buy the movie for that matter I haven't watch the movie either. But I will when it comes out.

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

• Aeromos
                        • Jun 2003

I've still yet to see this movie. I was going to borrow it from my brother but forgot to the other night. Also I waiting for the previously viewed price to drop a little more and then I was going to buy it. But now that I hear there may be an extended edition, I may just wait. I am a big fan of these types of movies though.

Aeromos
                        Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
                        My Collection
                        Aeromos
                        My Collection

Comment

• David Meek
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

"may be an extended version"??????

Read the post 2 above your last. :B

David - HTGuide flunky
                          Our "Theater"
                          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Aeromos
                            • Jun 2003

LOL!! That's what I meant. You always have to watch how you say things around here.

Aeromos
                            My Collection
                            Aeromos
                            My Collection

Comment

• Aeromos
                              • Jun 2003

I finally bought this movie. I loved it. I can't wait for the sequel.

Aeromos
                              My Collection
                              Aeromos
                              My Collection

Comment

• Brandon B
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jun 2001

I watched this last week as well. Liked it OK, but not going to buy it. Think whoever mixed the sound track needs to lay off the bass little (amount, not peak levels, I m a bass head after all).

Maybe I'm getting old. Didn't enjoy the last roller coaster I rode either.

BB

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Feb 2002

I dug this one up because the extended is coming soon...

according to dvdtalk...

Disc One features the new cut of the movie, as well as a handful of bonus features. The first is an all-new Audio Commentary* with director Len Wiseman, along with stars Kate Beckinsale and Scott Speedman. Contrary to the dark, serious tone of the film (and the DVD), this is a light-heated and informal commentary.
                                  Also on this first disc, we have another new extra: the History Channel documentary Fang vs. Fiction*, which is an in-depth look at the mythology surrounding the film. It’s a nice inclusion to this disc, but it’s not strong enough to stand on its own.
                                  Also on board are the same TV Spots from the original release, and a series of Trailers* that vary slightly from the original’s lineup (we now get previews for Hellboy and Spider-Man 2).
                                  Unfortunately, Disc Two is about as disappointing as it gets: essentially, it’s a rehash of most of the original supplements. First up is a series of Featurettes, including “The Making of Underworld” (12 minutes), “Visual Effects”* (10 minutes), “Creature Effects” (13 minutes), “Stunts” (12 minutes), “Designing the Movie”* (11 minutes), “The Look of Underworld”* (20 minutes), and “Sights and Sounds” (9 minutes). Also on board are two other extras from the original release: a Storyboard Comparison (7 minutes) and a Music Video (3 minutes).

The layout of the bonus features is another confusing aspect of this release. The extras from both discs (save for the Audio Commentary) clock in at less than 2 ½ hours, so there’s no reason why the movie couldn’t have had it’s own disc.
                                  As it stands, it's just one more example of double-dipping at it's most shameful, and the $35 price tag is much too steep for a blind buy.
                                  So it sounds like all you are really buying is 23 extra minutes and no original cut...hmmm. I didn't pick up the original but the lost 23 mins interests me. I'm still so so on the film but if the price was right I would add it to the collection. Since an SE like this is for die-hards, I doubt I'll find it at the used DVD places but you never know in the upcoming year.
                                  Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• David Meek
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

I'm a die-hard. I'm a fanboy. I'm a . . . . Hey it's Kate! Kate!
                                    :banana: ;x( :amen: :?? :^x :banana:

Well, if it's not obvious by now, I'll be picking this one up. It's the extra 23 minutes that I want. The Fang vs Fiction sounds somewhat interesting, but it's not a factor.
                                    Last edited by David Meek; 21 May 2004, 09:13 Friday.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jan 2001

IT's KATE ! Well, I wasn't that crazy about the flick but I sure was as crazy about KATE as Tex. Hope to see her in person this summer.
                                      My Homepage!

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                        • Jan 2002

How did you get a date with her George?

35 bucks for 23 minutes????? OUCH! If I hadn't already bought the first one I might could see spending $25 or so but $35??? Surely that's retail and it will sell for less.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                          • Sep 2001

Something doesn't add up...

Originally posted by David Meek
                                          Personally, I thought it was great! It was a no-brainer purchase for me.
                                          This DVD was a no-"brainer purchase" because you are a fan of Kate, but you walked out of "Van Helsing" because it is a "no-brainer movie" and she's in it? Hmmmm.... a brain in pain falls mainly on the ... :>)

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• David Meek
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

Uhoh, Burke's adding again

(replies in best "superior" voice)

Hmmmph. Just because I'm a fan of Kate doesn't blind me to the "horror" of a movie as bad as Van Helsing.

(voice off)

:B

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Jan 2001

We just can't get anything by ol' Burke, can we.

Sonnie, I wish I did have a date with Kate. She's filming in a city close to me this summer. I'm hoping to get a lead on where and when they'll be filming so I can get a closeer look.
                                              My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Aug 2000

Just a reminder for anyone interested: The Extended Cut is coming out tomorrow (May 25th). Yeah!

Comment

• David Meek
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2000

Okay, I picked mine up last night. Hopefully, I can report out on it to you tomorrow.

Comment

• David Meek
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2000

Mini Review Of The Unrated Extended Cut DVD

Let me get right to it: The Unrated Extended Cut is a better movie than the theatrical version - but not by a lot. If you own the original, rent the extended version before buying it as it may not add enough to the story for you spend the bucks. If you don't own either and are considering which, get the Extended Cut. If you are a big fan like me, the additions were worthwhile. They included lots of tiny additions to scenes, and the following longer moments:

- an extended scene between Selene and Michael that, pardon the pun, fleshed out their growing attraction for each other

- an intimate scene between Kraven and Erika (with no frontal nudity) that felt somewhat gratuitous

- Viktor detaching himself from the life-support tubes

- most of the rest of the extra footage was shown in the final big battle at the Lycans' lair

I didn't A/B with the theatrical version, but the video seemed a good bit cleaner with more detail and color saturation. The audio seemed improved also, but again without A/B'ing it YMMV. I did not get a chance to review the extras, so that'll come later.

Comment

• aud19
                                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2003

Finally watched this last night... Good golly it was loud!!! :E I'd already turned it down 5 notches as Jazz had a slight headache and I think it was still as loud or louder than most movies 5 notches up! Lot's of Bass too :P :B Definitely a good movie for CRT displays with all the gooey blacks. The story itself was relatively interesting the one weak point, for me anyways, was that there was no reason shown for Selene and Michael's attraction to eachother. The "relationship" just didn't seem believable. Perhaps the extended version improves that, though I'm not sure one scene would do it for me...

Jason
                                                      Jason

Comment

• Gopher500
                                                        • Feb 2005

ok, i know its a little late...

the movie was good in my opinion. when i first saw the commercials i didnt expect much, but it came out to be a decent movie.

one quick question, doesn anyone know the song thats played when michael is in the backseat of the car?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by David Meek
                                                          Let me get right to it: The Unrated Extended Cut is a better movie than the theatrical version - but not by a lot. If you own the original, rent the extended version before buying it as it may not add enough to the story for you spend the bucks. If you don't own either and are considering which, get the Extended Cut. If you are a big fan like me, the additions were worthwhile. They included lots of tiny additions to scenes, and the following longer moments:

- an extended scene between Selene and Michael that, pardon the pun, fleshed out their growing attraction for each other

- an intimate scene between Kraven and Erika (with no frontal nudity) that felt somewhat gratuitous

- Viktor detaching himself from the life-support tubes

- most of the rest of the extra footage was shown in the final big battle at the Lycans' lair

I didn't A/B with the theatrical version, but the video seemed a good bit cleaner with more detail and color saturation. The audio seemed improved also, but again without A/B'ing it YMMV. I did not get a chance to review the extras, so that'll come later.

Agree with David's summary, and note as Jaon did this is a very nice movie for CRT systems - the audio is pretty amped, though.
                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                          Natalie P
                                                          M8ta
                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                          Isiris
                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                          Calliope
                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                                          Modula PWB
                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                                          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Nick M
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Nov 2004

Rented It.

I'm a big fan of Anne Rice's "Interview with the Vampire". To me that is the ultimate when it comes to films about the Nosferatu. For some reason modern sci-fi movies blended with traditional ghouls just don't jive well with me. It takes the mysticism out of the creature.

Having said that, I wasn't overly dissapointed with this film. For what it was, it was entertaining and well thought out. I can see how some people would definetly like this film. The style just isn't for me.

:3: out of :5:
                                                            ~Nick

Comment

• willbrosk
                                                              • Sep 2004

Well I tend to love vampire movies so Ill even watch a bad one. However, I thought this one was fairly well done. Not only that but it makes a great movie to test black level detail on your system

Comment

Working...
                                                              😀
                                                              😂
                                                              🥰
                                                              😘
                                                              🤢
                                                              😎
                                                              😞
                                                              😡
                                                              👍
                                                              👎
                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                              Search Result for "|||"