X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

"Agents of the Shield"

Agents of the Shield- I rented this first season from my library the other day and all I can say about this Marvel series is that it's quite bad. Obviously aimed at a younger audience, the acting is quite bad and the writing is really not up to snuff in regards to other TV series I've watched recently.

I spun the first disc (5 episodes) and am returning it today. 5/10 stars for a poor effort. :M
    Dan Madden :T
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Dan, my daughter really likes superheroes, so she and I watched the show. I agree that it got pretty hokey pretty fast. FWIW, it does get better later in the show. Still not my favorite, but some interesting tie-ins here and there to the Marvel universe.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

It found its footing about halfway through the first season (a not uncommon thing with TV series, especially with larger casts). If one is a fan of the larger Marvel film "universe" (the Iron Man films, Thor films, Captain America films, Avengers films, Guardians of the Galaxy--though that one is less directly connected, the second Hulk film--the Spider-Man and X-Men films are not part of the same "universe", unlike the comics), then this series is easier to get into. As a stand-alone series, probably considerably less so. I like the whole interconnected universe (including this series and the new Agent Carter 'mini-series'), but it probably helps that I've been a comic fan and collector since the early 70s. A lot of the "backstory" is easy for me to follow.

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

In my opinion, some TV stuff is better suited for me personally than others. I liked a lot of the supernatural material. I really enjoyed the series "Supernatural" as well as "Smallville". I like the medical stuff too. I really enjoyed "ER" but less so "Grey's Anatomy" because Grey's Anatomy was too focused on the women characters and their sensibilities (ie...buying homes and making babies). That's probably because Grey's was created by a woman and based on a female doctor. Recently, I've started watching "House M.D" again and really like that series because there are better, more defined characters and less of the girly stuff in the content with a higher emphasis on the medical.

I guess it's all about what turns your crank personally at the end of the day.
        Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Speaking of Agent Carter, that's another one my daughter and I just started watching. It's ok. Wish it wasn't just all about girl power. I like stories, but start rolling my eyes when the show/movie/book starts pushing an agenda of some sort. But I LOVE period shows in the 20-40's and clothing styles, including fedora hats.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"