X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

"Dallas buyers club" / Review

I spun this on DVD yesterday (No need for BD presentation of this film really.....honestly!). I can now see why Matthew McConaughey won best actor at the Oscars for his role here. Not only does he look the part, but he lives it as well. I have never seen an Actor immerse himself in a role like this. Back in the mid 1980's, if you were diagnosed with HIV, it was basically a death sentence. Nowadays, that is not the case. In the case of McConaughey here, he finds some drugs that basically slow that process of death and these drugs not yet being approved by the FDA, he decides there's money to be made here. He proceeds to start self medicating himself and any others that are willing to pay for his concoctions of drugs.

That's it really. Obviously, being gay was much more frowned upon then as it is now, so there was a bit of that social attitude mixed in with this story.

I was entertained by this film. I offered to let my cousin watch this and got a straight out...NO THANKS from him in a "I don't watch gay films" kinda' way. Although there are aspects of gay culture in this film, it really isn't about that but rather, more about the disease itself and the ravaging effects of it back then. Matthew McConaughey is a straight guy in this film but picked up the disease simply through unprotected sex (and lots of it!).

8/10 stars for this film :T
    Dan Madden :T
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Looking forward to watching this one :T
    Jason

Comment

• bigburner
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

After watching Matthew's performance in "True Detective" I definitely have to see him in this one. He is a very intense man.

Nigel.

Comment

• mjb
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Want to see this one, and looking forward to it.
        - Mike

Main System:
        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Watched this on the weekend. Astounding performances by both Mathew and Jared. Utterly engrossing and tragic. 9/10
          Jason

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"