X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

The Great Gatsby

My wife is a big fan of Baz Luhrmann movies, and has been dying to see this one. Date night fell through to go see it in theaters, and then when it came out on Pay Per View we decided to wait just a big longer to rent on BD and get full high end HD audio and video in my theater. By the time we rented, there were well established reviews, many less than favorable, and the movie has an overall "rotten" rating of 49% on the Tomatometer. (I do note, however, that the previous well-known rendition of the movie with Robert Redford only has a 37% rating) So we went into the movie with lowered expectations. I'll also mention that I'm a big fan of architecture and styling of the 20's-40's.

Overall, the movie was better than we thought it would be. It definitely has many Baz Luhrmann signature elements in it, including big music and eye-popping sets. One of my biggest complaints about Baz, however, held true on this movie, as the first act had a particularly discombobulated feel to it. This is most evident in Luhrmann's "Moulin Rouge!", where the first act has long moments that are frantic, anxious, manic, and schizophrenic. I get the sense that this is from the director and/or editor being influenced by cocaine during this part of the production, although of course I have no evidence to support that theory. It just has a similar feel to elements of "The West Wing" which was also cocaine-influenced through Aaron Sorkin. After the first act, though, both "Moulin Rouge!" and "Great Gatsby" even out into comprehensible stories.

To be fair, I actually have not read the classic novel upon which the story's based. But from what I know of it, and previous films I've seen, Baz does seem to do a decent job of telling it. His theatrics, while very prominent in the film, (thankfully) do not override the very good story, which is the true greatness of the film. I thought the acting was pretty well done, although I have reservations about the casting. The main "antagonist" of sorts, the rival husband from across the bay, is so-so, and I always have reservations about Leonardo DiCaprio in the role of established literature characters, both fiction and non. He has developed into a truly AMAZING actor, but his unchanging boyish looks and short, youthful stature I think gives him a limited stage presence that a larger or more grizzled character can pull off. Even Tom Cruise, who is rather short, does action very well, for example. And compare DiCaprio with Redford in the exact same role of Gatsby, just in the issue of stage presence.

The music is pretty good. As is Luhrmann's style, he tries to morph modern music to his work, which has some success in this work. I understand what it is he was trying to do. And there still is some of the classic jazz that really defined Fitzgerald's work and that era. It was bold to have Jay-Z produce the soundtrack to the film, and I think it did turn out pretty good.

It was worth watching this on BD. Some very deep and full sound effects in the film, in addition to the music, and as mentioned, many scenes are visually opulent.

So, I wasn't overwhelmed by the film, but it was worth a watch. Maybe a purchase for me when it is deeply discounted by vendors, which I suspect will happen rather rapidly, actually, based on the not-great reviews this film has received. I give it :35: out of :5:
    Last edited by Chris D; 09 September 2013, 02:34 Monday.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

The novel is actually a novelette and since I was a student of literature, writers like Fitzgerald, Hemingway, etc., were always up for discussion. Even though it is considered a great classic, the weakness with The Great Gatsby stems from the novelette itself. Most, including myself, felt that the Gatsby character was never really fully developed, and Daisy as well. At the time of this novelette's writing, Fitzgerald was heavy into booze and co-writers and friends like Ernest Hemingway, felt he was cheating his readers. Some writers feel that what is left out is often more important than what is put in. But in the case of The Great Gatsby, too much was left out. And because of this, both the Redford and DiCaprio versions are wanting because they have tried to follow the book too closely.

I also like Baz Luhrmann's style but not his take on Gatsby.

If you want to see a really good film, Chris,try renting MUD. My little review is below.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Yeah, I think Mud is currently 100% on the Tomotometer, George. Thanks for your take on Gatsby--I take it you've seen the new Baz version then?
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Thank you both for your feedback on this one.
        We missed "Moulin Rouge!" too, so I suppose The Wife & I could put these both on our list.
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
          The novel is actually a novelette and since I was a student of literature, writers like Fitzgerald, Hemingway, etc., were always up for discussion. Even though it is considered a great classic, the weakness with The Great Gatsby stems from the novelette itself. Most, including myself, felt that the Gatsby character was never really fully developed, and Daisy as well. At the time of this novelette's writing, Fitzgerald was heavy into booze and co-writers and friends like Ernest Hemingway, felt he was cheating his readers. Some writers feel that what is left out is often more important than what is put in. But in the case of The Great Gatsby, too much was left out. And because of this, both the Redford and DiCaprio versions are wanting because they have tried to follow the book too closely.

I also like Baz Luhrmann's style but not his take on Gatsby.

If you want to see a really good film, Chris,try renting MUD. My little review is below.
          I've always felt Gatsby was somewhat overrated literature. Good to know there's some actual scholarly/fact based backup to that :lol: One of my biggest issues with it stemmed from the characters as well. I just had trouble finding any of them terribly likable! That could stem from the lack of character development you mentioned George. My other issue is the (IMO) somewhat ham-handed moral basically working out to "money can't buy you happiness/love". It's hardly the revelatory moral/theme the book is made out to be IMO. It's a good story, not a great one is far as I'm concerned.

I've read the book (obviously) and plan to watch the movie...hopefully going in with tempered expectations will allow me to somewhat enjoy it.
          Jason

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Chris D
            Thanks for your take on Gatsby--I take it you've seen the new Baz version then?
            Yeah, it was a feast for the eyes for sure, but when it comes to filming The Great Gatsby, I much prefer the Robert Redford version, and even that one is lacking.
            My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"