X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Oblivion Bluray

While I have to say that this movie was good. Nothing spectacular..... The video and audio presentation made this my new reference/demo standard....

Visually, this is a very stunning movie. The colors are somewhat muted on some things (you know to give it that post-war look), however things that should stand out, look perfect with just the right amount of color to make you long for it. Like wanting water in the desert, sure a beer would taste better, but water after you've not had it for a couple days... is magical! ha ha

The audio quality is one of the best I've heard on my home theater to date. The entire film uses audio queues to let the watcher know exactly what's going on. It was really one of the best soundtracks that really immerses you in the movie. Whether it's just little sounds coming from the surrounds or actual things on screen moving all around you, it is all done perfectly. The sound of the Drones in the movie is what completely blew me away, it just felt "right." And when one of them is damaged and requesting help, the alarm/signal is done in such a perfect way that they correctly go the echoing of it depending on the environment. I really can't say enough on how "accurately" the sound was done. I don't think I've ever been brought into a movie just due to the audio track like I have with this one.

The story itself is an interesting idea on a post war/alien invasion premise with somewhat of a twist. It held my attention through the movie and got me about 2/3 the way through before I figured out what was going on and really had an idea how the ending was going to be. Then the fun of just watching it unfold.

I'd say if you want to show off your system, get this movie and show people (as I think this movie has been over looked and will impress people). Is it worth buying... for demoing, yes, as an over all movie... eh maybe... It's definitely worth at least one run through!!!
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I like sci-fi so I'll certainly give it a rental.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

I spun this on dvd the other day using earphones and was also blown away by the sound presentation. I would love to crank this one through my speakers via BD format. WOW!!.
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• bigburner
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

Thank you. I'll give this one a go too.

Nigel.

Comment

• alebonau
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Oct 2005

stunning on blu-ray for both audio and video !

I took some screen shots,

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Watched this last night. Was much better than I expected storywise. Audio was something else. I may buy this sometime when it is at a reduced price.
            My Homepage!

Comment

• ShadowZA
              Super Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

Thanks for this. I need to get this blu-ray :T

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

Wouldn't it figure, I played the Bluray and now to rip it down to my server, the Bluray player won't recognize bluray discs anymore.....

Good thing Newegg loves me and I just had another (newer) one sent to me. I bought the burner, though I'm sure I'll never burn with it. Sort of shocking that the player died after ripping about 150 blurays...... Course it did almost 500 DVDs and about 100 CDs as well (other DVD-RW though did about the same --minus blurays of course) and it's still go strong without any issues. Oh well. Not like I needed that $100 for anything else. :roll:

I started watching it again through the PS3 and was still blown away by the disc. I have to say though, this is the first movie I've watched where I felt the Bluray through XBMC was actually a little bit more crisp and better than using my PS3. Odd, never did that before. PS3 I always thought was just ever so slightly better.
                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                -Dan

Comment

• madmac
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by PewterTA
                  Wouldn't it figure, I played the Bluray and now to rip it down to my server, the Bluray player won't recognize bluray discs anymore.....

Good thing Newegg loves me and I just had another (newer) one sent to me. I bought the burner, though I'm sure I'll never burn with it. Sort of shocking that the player died after ripping about 150 blurays...... Course it did almost 500 DVDs and about 100 CDs as well (other DVD-RW though did about the same --minus blurays of course) and it's still go strong without any issues. Oh well. Not like I needed that $100 for anything else. :roll:

I started watching it again through the PS3 and was still blown away by the disc. I have to say though, this is the first movie I've watched where I felt the Bluray through XBMC was actually a little bit more crisp and better than using my PS3. Odd, never did that before. PS3 I always thought was just ever so slightly better.
                  You know, it's funny you said that in your last comment. For years, I spun dvd's on my Oppo player and thought it was the 'holy grail' of DVD video performance. When it pooped out, I started to spin them on the PS3 and have done so for over a year now. Now, I'm not so sure that the Oppo was all that it was cracked up to be. To be honest, I am very impressed with the video/audio performance of the PS3 and have no intention of buying a new player. It's funny how we 'think' something is better and then ever so slowly change that opinion!. At this point, I believe the PS3 is on par with the Oppo's performance and slightly better from an audio perspective.....especially with BD discs.

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

I don't even remember hearing about this (I guess I'm a bit out of the loop) but I'll be adding it to the que when we get a chance to see it. Thanks for the reviews guys :T
                    Jason

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Just rented this on BD. Reviews here are right on. Okay movie. Absolutely fantastic PQ and SQ. I'm waffling, but I might just buy this one on BD just for reference material. Overall, I give it :35: out of :5:
                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Oh, and I meant to mention, it was really strange--I'm not sure of the connection/cause, but my Denon receiver that I use as an outboard HDMI hi-def audio decoder shut itself down ***SIX*** times during the movie, in auto-protection mode. I only use it as an audio decoder, so I don't have anything hooked up to the receiver's amps, and there's no load. But it was acting like it was having an excessive time trying to drive speakers with the detailed or bass-heavy audio.

I have the rental for another few days, so I checked out the director's commentary with Tom Cruise, which was only moderately insightful, and now I'm listening to the dedicated track of the M83 soundtrack. It's really interesting, and I love the detailed music. it gets a bit repetitive, but it's worth a listen in the background as I do some work on my laptop.
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Chris D
                          Oh, and I meant to mention, it was really strange--I'm not sure of the connection/cause, but my Denon receiver that I use as an outboard HDMI hi-def audio decoder shut itself down ***SIX*** times during the movie, in auto-protection mode. I only use it as an audio decoder, so I don't have anything hooked up to the receiver's amps, and there's no load. But it was acting like it was having an excessive time trying to drive speakers with the detailed or bass-heavy audio.

I have the rental for another few days, so I checked out the director's commentary with Tom Cruise, which was only moderately insightful, and now I'm listening to the dedicated track of the M83 soundtrack. It's really interesting, and I love the detailed music. it gets a bit repetitive, but it's worth a listen in the background as I do some work on my laptop.
                          Soooo cooool!!. Oblivion soundtrack is SO powerful that it shuts a processor down!!??. WOW !! Now that's POWER!! :-)

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

Yeah, actually, it's been doing fine as I've listened through the director's commentary track and most of the M83 soundtrack. But I just got to the scene where the drones assault the rebel headquarters, and my receiver just shut itself down again. It's really annoying, actually, and I'm not sure what's causing it. I could understand if I had a passive subwoofer or even high-impedence speakers hooked up to the receiver, and it had too difficult a time trying to drive them. But I don't have a thing hooked up to the amps. My equipment stack didn't seem to be excessively warm from my real amps driving the speakers, either.

On a separate note, one thing I did appreciate about the film is that there is a lot of originality to it, in a time where we often see movies just remade as semi-clones of each other.
                            Last edited by Chris D; 03 September 2013, 10:27 Tuesday.
                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2003

Watched on the weekend... agree it's certainly a fun watch (if a touch long) and the surround sound was hugely immersive and entertaining if you have a decent system. Seems to lack some originality and was kind of forgettable for me though. Just barely a 7/10. If the production value wasn't so astounding, it would probably be closer to a 6-6.5 for me.
                              Jason

Comment

• Ovation
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Sep 2004

Can watch this either tonight or tomorrow during the day. In the day, the house is empty. My theatre is pretty decently soundproofed from the rest of the house, but not perfectly so. Should I risk watching it with others sleeping two floors up or wait for the house to be empty? I usually listen at -15 to -20dB from reference, depending on material (and whether anyone else is home).

Comment

• aud19
                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2003

We watched it about -20dB with twin 10 month olds sleeping one floor up not at all isolated (though they do have white noise in their room).
                                  Jason

Comment

• Ovation
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Sep 2004

Ok. Just seemed like it could be one of those movies where the sub (mine is decent, not spectacular) might rattle a few loose items here and there. Thanks.

Comment

• Chris D
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Dec 2000

Ovation, I'd wait if I were you, to really do a reference watch of this movie. Since it's so-so as a film, might as well truly enjoy some of the great strengths of the movie, the audio and video quality, without having to worry about the kids! Yes, it does have some reference bass sweeps that are killer.

That being said, I've got my family trained now pretty good to ignore my rumblings from the theater, so I watched it late at night when everybody else was sleeping.
                                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
                                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2003

I agree it would certainly be better to watch louder as Chris said. The sound is the best part of the movie, followed by the visuals and finally the story in distant third :lol:

But it is certainly possible to still enjoy it otherwise
                                        Jason

Comment

• Ovation
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Sep 2004

Watched it this morning. Good flick, not great. Enjoyed while I watched it--don't know if I'd revisit it. Did not find the soundtrack nearly as impressive as I'd expected from posts here and on other fora. I had it going pretty loudly. I enjoyed the score and the soundtrack, I just didn't consider it a major workout for my sub (I have a considerable pile of movies that give my sub a bigger workout).

Comment

• aud19
                                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Ovation
                                            Watched it this morning. Good flick, not great. Enjoyed while I watched it--don't know if I'd revisit it. Did not find the soundtrack nearly as impressive as I'd expected from posts here and on other fora. I had it going pretty loudly. I enjoyed the score and the soundtrack, I just didn't consider it a major workout for my sub (I have a considerable pile of movies that give my sub a bigger workout).
                                            It was more the immersion and smaller details that got me not the "whiz bang" for the record.

I'm a sucker for subtle details. It shows an appreciation and care for your work IMO and really helps "paint the picture".
                                            Jason

Comment

• Ovation
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Sep 2004

On that score, I agree. The soundtrack was excellent. Very directional when necessary, seamlessly immersive the rest of the time.

Comment

• bigburner
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • May 2005

Lovely video and great audio, but a confused plot. It's as if the studio hired 5 writers and bolted their work together hoping we wouldn't notice the discrepancies. I thought that some of the hi-tech aspects were impressive, particularly Tom Cruise's helicopter, but the plot goes lo-tech occasionally and you wonder why the hi-tech aspects have been switched off. The green and peaceful log cabin scene in the middle of a nuclear wasteland, seemingly invisible to the drones, is a good example. That's the problem with hiring 5 writers who didn't talk to each other!

Nigel.

Comment

• madmac
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by bigburner
                                                  Lovely video and great audio, but a confused plot. It's as if the studio hired 5 writers and bolted their work together hoping we wouldn't notice the discrepancies. I thought that some of the hi-tech aspects were impressive, particularly Tom Cruise's helicopter, but the plot goes lo-tech occasionally and you wonder why the hi-tech aspects have been switched off. The green and peaceful log cabin scene in the middle of a nuclear wasteland, seemingly invisible to the drones, is a good example. That's the problem with hiring 5 writers who didn't talk to each other!

Nigel.
                                                  Well it's obvious!!! The Drones simply don't like green spaces!. EASY!

Comment

Working...
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"