X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Chinatown

This movie has been in my movie queue for a while, being on several top lists. After recently watching "The Two Jakes", I found out that it's actually a sequel of Chinatown, so I moved it up to the top of my queue. Well, in the first time this has happened, I must have mis-managed my queues, because both Netflix and Blockbuster ended up shipping me the movie at the same time. :roll: Duh...

Anyway, before watching it, I discovered that it's a Roman Polanski movie. (and considered one of his better ones) I really had a conscience struggle with whether to watch it--I really consider what Polanski illegally did in his private life to be unconscionable, violating a minor, and as a result, I will not go watch any new movies of his. There are very few people and subjects I "boycott", but his crime certainly is on my list.

But this isn't intended to be a discussion of that subject. I decided since the movie was made so long ago, (like around when I was born!!!!) I'd go ahead and watch it. Glad I did. Good movie! Good acting. I absolutely LOVE clothing style and architecture from that era as well, so I really enjoyed that part of the movie too. While it's not going to be one of my favorites long-term, I think the thing I appreciated the most about the movie is that it's an actual FILM, that tries to tell an actual complete story. That's something that is actually pretty rare nowadays, where filmmakers skimp on plot, character development, backstory, or all of the above, often relying on gore, violence, special effects, drama, toilet humor, or more, or simply just constrained by the film studio into 110 minutes. As such, I don't think this film could be made today. What a great early performance by Nicholson, too.

Good movie, albeit not quite as good in my book as some top classics list make it out to be. I'll give it a low :4: out of :5:
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Some consider Chinatown a classic, but I don't because I never felt it had strong re-watchability. I saw it first in theaters and ended up buying it on laserdisc many moons ago. Despite some pretty good acting, I've only watched the laserdisc once so never bothered to upgrade to either dvd or Blu-ray.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

I think I'd agree with you about the re-watchability, George. Like I said, I appreciate that the story was fully developed and well told. Honestly, though, I didn't find the story nearly as interesting as other movies. I think if the story itself was more interesting, this would be an incredible movie. This is why I was thinking of giving it 3.5 stars, but ended up giving it a marginal 4. Any re-watchability for me would be would be to study the fine film-making, and to enjoy the style and architecture of the sets and costumes.

Probably not worth a purchase for me. But even if it was, now that we know about Polanski's crime, I don't think I would do so. He probably still gets residual royalties from sales.

Oh... and I meant to point out that Polanski actually makes a cameo in this film. He's the guy that cuts Nicholson's nose.
      Last edited by Chris D; 27 July 2013, 22:43 Saturday.
      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• mjb
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Chinatown IS a classic, I have it on Bluray, and the format upgrade was worth it. Polanski has made some great films. I have little interest in his personal life, certainly not to the point of boycotting his work. His "victim" received $500,000, a book deal, and she forgives him! So its all alright then :-) Didn't Elvis marry a 14 year old? I assume they had a relationship (and sex) when she was younger.
        - Mike

Main System:
        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Leaving aside his personal life (a discussion that will probably end up going outside the purpose of this forum), Polanski is a fine filmmaker. The Pianist is outstanding, among his more recent works, and Chinatown is one I quite enjoy and do revisit from time to time (sometimes just to watch Faye Dunaway, but I…ahem…digress ). Probably overdue for a viewing. May have to upgrade to the BD.

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

I agree--don't mean for this to turn into a debate on Polanski's crime. And I too think he is a fine filmmaker. He produces some fine work!
            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"