X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

The Pride of the Yankees

This is a true classic, made in 1942, and starring Gary Cooper in the lead role of telling the life story of Lou Gehrig. This movie came up in my Netflix queue, which is interesting timing, as I've discovered I myself have a medical condition that is equivalent to ALS. (Lou Gehrig's disease) I was not only surprised by the movie, but I've been particularly taken by the person of Lou Gehrig, and have learned a lot more about him. By all accounts, this was an exceptional man, not just an exceptional ballplayer. He's one of my heroes, and now I hate the Yankees just a little bit less. I was amazed in the movie to see the actor playing Babe Ruth, too, thinking "wow, they really made him look like the Babe", only to find out at the end of the movie, it really WAS Babe Ruth. Several other roles in the movie played by the people themselves, too.

Ranked #22 on AFI's top 100 list of most inspiring movies. I've also taken a liking to the song "Always" by Irving Berlin that is featured in the film. Overall, highly recommended for all, not just baseball fans. In fact, I think the only aspects of the movie that I didn't completely like were due to the pacing and feel of the film feeling a bit out of place compared to what we've seen from films for the last 50 years. Still, a strong :4: out of :5:, and this film now has a special place in my heart.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I was six or seven years old when that movie came out and I remember seeing tears in my dad's eyes as we left the theater. It was also a film that made me such a huge Gary Cooper fan. I've seen it many times over the years in second run cinemas and on tv, but it's in my collection now so I watch it whenever the mood strikes.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

A movie I've always intended to add to my collection but never seem to get around to it. Will try to remedy that post haste.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"