The Seventh Seal (1957)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005
    • 2649

    #1

    The Seventh Seal (1957)

    This Ingmar Bergman film stars Max von Sydow as a Swedish 14th century knight called Antonius Block who is returning home after ten years of fighting in the Crusades. He finds that his homeland has been decimated by the Black Death (plague).

    There are many themes in this film but for me a key one is whether there can be a God when all you see around you makes you think that there cannot be a God. Antonius is visited by the Grim Reaper and they play chess to determine whether he should live or die.

    I think that this is a wonderful film, packed with imagery and symbolism. It is so different to a Hollywood film that it might as well be a different art form.

    Nigel.
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001
    • 7636

    #2
    Bergman was a very prolific filmmaker. I was only ever fortunate enough to see a few, but two always outstood amongst those I've seen and these were Wild Strawberries, an emotional and sometimes amusing tale of an old man looking back at his life; and Virgin Spring, where Max von Sydow takes revenge on men who raped and murdered his daughter. The latter is probably the most powerful of all the Bergman films I have been fortunate enough to view. I also liked The Seventh Seal.
    My Homepage!

    Comment

    • Chris D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2000
      • 16875

      #3
      Originally posted by bigburner
      Antonius is visited by the Grim Reaper and they play chess to determine whether he should live or die.
      So basically it's Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey, right?

      Kidding. Haven't seen this one, but it's on my biiiiiiiig list.
      CHRIS

      Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

      Comment

      • Burke Strickland
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Sep 2001
        • 3159

        #4
        The Seventh Seal is one of the great movies of all time. It is visually rich (memorable images abound), philosophically profound (without deadly dull expounding -- the writing was first rate), and well acted (may be Max Von Sydow's best performance, although there are many other memorable ones). If you are looking for a happy, happy, upbeat "feel good" flick, bubble gum matinee action or horny teenager humor, "this ain't it". However, it is a satisfying cinematic experience on many levels.

        My first exposure to it was in a course I took for college credit on the films of Ingmar Bergman, and I've found each time in rewatching it over the years that I see new and interesting things we didn't cover in class. It is best viewed in its native language with subtitles, but if that turns you off, by all means watch a dubbed version if only for the visual imagery (the Criterion BluRay reportedly offers both English subtitles with Swedish and dubbed English). I guess this is a title I should include on my BluRay-replace-DVD list.

        What you DON'T say may be held against you...

        Comment

        • bigburner
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005
          • 2649

          #5
          I'll hunt those two films down George.

          Nigel.

          Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
          Bergman was a very prolific filmmaker. I was only ever fortunate enough to see a few, but two always outstood amongst those I've seen and these were Wild Strawberries, an emotional and sometimes amusing tale of an old man looking back at his life; and Virgin Spring, where Max von Sydow takes revenge on men who raped and murdered his daughter. The latter is probably the most powerful of all the Bergman films I have been fortunate enough to view. I also liked The Seventh Seal.

          Comment

          • Burke Strickland
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Sep 2001
            • 3159

            #6
            In addition to Wild Strawberries and The Virgin Spring, both of which I agree with George are outstanding, a couple of other Bergman flicks definitely worth a look are:
            • The Magician, in which the character played by Max Von Sydow leads a travelling troupe of theatrical players whose performances are reputed to be interrupted by supernatural occurrences with both comic and horrifying effects, and
            • Smiles of a Summer Night, about three couples who change partners on the shortest night of the year, which is essentially the same story as (but predates) Stephen Sondheim's "A Little Night Music". Two things "Smiles" does not have are Max Von Sydow (cast is terrific anyway), or Elizabeth Taylor singing "Send in the Clowns" (she isn't in the film and it isn't a musical).

            What you DON'T say may be held against you...

            Comment

            • George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001
              • 7636

              #7
              I've seen The Magician, Burke, and agree it was worth seeing. I'll see if I can find Smiles.
              My Homepage!

              Comment

              • Chris D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Dec 2000
                • 16875

                #8
                I don't know if this is a fair genre comparison, but did you guys like "M"? It's supposed to be a classic, and I bought it during a recent Criterion Collection sale, but it just didn't do it for me. I often have a hard time getting into foreign films.
                CHRIS

                Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

                Comment

                • Burke Strickland
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Sep 2001
                  • 3159

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Chris D
                  I don't know if this is a fair genre comparison, but did you guys like "M"? It's supposed to be a classic...
                  I'd say I appreciated the film-making skill that went into "M" rather than liking it. "M" was skillfully put together, but it is not a film I have had a desire to watch repeated times (in fact, only twice, separated by decades). If you dislike it, you've just written off pre-World War II German films with anti-Nazi undertones, not Ingmar Bergman.

                  What you DON'T say may be held against you...

                  Comment

                  • George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001
                    • 7636

                    #10
                    I haven't seen "M" so I can't comment on it. But I am curious as to whether or not I would like it so I'll try to rent it.
                    My Homepage!

                    Comment

                    Related Topics

                    Collapse

                    • Jason Whyte
                      2001 Film List
                      by Jason Whyte
                      2001 Film List
                      Last Updated: November 28th, 2001

                      This is a port from the HTF so bear with me for mistakes and goofups, I'll fix them as they come along.

                      Ratings to be added week of 11/23: Out Cold
                      Next week additions posted...
                      26 November 2001, 12:35 Monday
                    • George Bellefontaine
                      Something from 1957
                      by George Bellefontaine
                      HEAVEN KNOWS MR. ALLISON

                      It is a 2nd world war film, set in the Southseas. It stars Robert Mitchum and Debroah Kerr.

                      Mitchem, a tough US marine, has survived an attack at sea and washes up on what appears to be a deserted island. But he soon discovers the only inhabitant...
                      29 May 2003, 11:09 Thursday
                    • Gordon Moore
                      FBI to develop Anti Piracy seal
                      by Gordon Moore
                      More like an authentication seal that does nothing more than identify real and "fake" product.

                      read on...

                      http://www.informationweek.com/story...cleID=17701593...
                      20 February 2004, 13:01 Friday
                    • kgveteran
                      Inflatable door seal for HT barndoor
                      by kgveteran
                      Hello,
                      Here's a final pic of my folding barndoor. It will roll into place and act as a wall with a door, or stow away so the 8' opening is needed. I will need to seal it some how and thought an inflatable seal, an axial seal 84" in height, and 75" top and bottom, the door will be...
                      30 August 2016, 10:03 Tuesday
                    • suprflly
                      A51 and Von Schweikert's
                      by suprflly
                      Hello: I'm close to pulling the trigger on the A51 followed hopefully shortly therafter on Von Schweikert vr2s and LCR 15 center, Ts150 rears.
                      I'm wondering if anyone has a similar setup and their comments.
                      Currently upgrading from 2 Acurus amps and NHT 2.5 and other NHT center/surrounds....
                      14 January 2005, 14:51 Friday
                    • Loading...
                    • No more items.
                    Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

                      Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

                      Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"