Gangster Squad ( and no it's not the Bruins ) :)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Gangster Squad ( and no it's not the Bruins ) :)

I really enjoyed this movie about a special squad set up by LA Police Chief Parker to take down Mickey Cohen. The movie's pretty bloody at times but there is some good acting by Josh Brolin, Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone and an especially great interpretation of Mickey Cohen by a mean and deadly Sean Penn. The movie really captures the atmosphere of the 1930s. It was a fast 113 minutes with nary a boring moment. I bought it so I'm going to enjoy watching this again down the road. :T
    My Homepage!
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Picked this up as a rental. Hope to find time to watch it before I have to bring it back (already had to return three movies since January without watching them--will try again later with them).

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Ovation
      ....... Hope to find time to watch it before I have to bring it back.....
      Sadly, I know exactly how that feels.
      But now with hockey season over I might have a chance to see a few more........oops......wrong thread....:W

This one looks like my kind of 'action' film, & I have yet to see a film with Penn that I did not find worthwhile.
      Last edited by wkhanna; 06 June 2013, 17:28 Thursday.
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Yeah, I didn't like this one too much. Thought it was kind of an "Untouchables wannabe".
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Chris D
          Yeah, I didn't like this one too much. Thought it was kind of an "Untouchables wannabe".
          Chris is correct. But I still liked it because I'm not a grouch.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Ah... I have no qualms about acknowledging I'm in a grouch phase of life. Tis true!!!
            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Chris D
              Ah... I have no qualms about acknowledging I'm in a grouch phase of life. Tis true!!!
              The good news is, Chris, you actually grow out of it with age.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Watched this earlier today (will have to pay a one day late fee :M). I enjoyed it as a throwback (with modern production values) to old gangster movies from Warners (which, of course, is what the filmmakers wanted, given the graphics of the credits and the way the film was shot). Not a classic, but better than I'd expected from various reviews. I still prefer L.A. Confidential, but this was pretty good.

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Ah, not even in the same class as LA Confidential, IMHO!
                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

I agree. But then I think L.A. Confidential is superior to many highly regarded film noir movies (though my view is not universal). I simply think Gangster Squad would fit in nicely with some of those classic gangster movies as a modern take on the genre. They were pretty much popcorn entertainment then, same as Gangster Squad. L.A. Confidential aims higher and succeeds.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Ovation
                      I simply think Gangster Squad would fit in nicely with some of those classic gangster movies as a modern take on the genre. They were pretty much popcorn entertainment then, same as Gangster Squad.
                      It did remind me somewhat of those old gangster films from the 30s and 40s. That's probably why I like it as much as I do.
                      My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"