X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Game Change was interesting

Game Change is about John McCain's 2008 presidential campaign, and primarily deals with how and why McCain selected Sarah Palin as his running mate. It stars Ed Harris as McCain, Julianne Moore as Palin, and Woody Harrelson as McCain's top dog. I found it all quite interesting even though I knew the outcome. Solid acting all around, but Woody Harrelson stole the show as the poor bugger who struggled to make a feast out of hamburg after he realized the error in selecting Palin.
    A good watch if you like political stuff. :T
    My Homepage!
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

I'm interested to see this one, although I'm skeptical how accurate it's going to be. George, did it seem to you to have a slant to it?
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
      I found it all quite interesting even though I knew the outcome.
      So another movie ruined by watching the trailer huh?

Kevin D.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Chris D
        George, did it seem to you to have a slant to it?
        For sure, Chris. Think character assassination.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

hahahaaaaa... why does that not surprise me?
          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Kevin D
            So another movie ruined by watching the trailer huh?

Kevin D.

Trailers are ridiculous nowadays!!. I skip them because they reveal just too much of the movie in most cases. :roll:
            Dan Madden :T

Comment

• bigburner
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

Think character assassination.
              I didn't see it that way George. I thought that the film portrayed Sarah Palin quite sympathetically. As McCain said at one point "We threw her in the deep end without a life preserver" and this was reflected throughout the film. I came away actually liking and admiring her a bit. This was not the case after observing her from a distance on the campaign trail in 2008. Having the lovely Julianne Moore play the role of Sarah Palin probably helped. I thought that McCain came across as a little bit weak and certainly disengaged from the whole campaign process. If any assassination occurred it was directed at the American democratic system. The film makes it clear that the only way you can get to the top these days is to have movie star qualities, and being qualified to do the job is a bonus, not a prerequisite.

Nigel.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

They made her look pretty stupid, Nigel. To me that's character assassination.
                My Homepage!

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Sarah Palin came off rather stupid during the election due to the media, but I've noticed after it was all over and I've followed her a bit more and seen her speak and actually listened to hear idea's that she quite intelligent. It's sad how much damage the media can do to help their political bias.

Also I would say the other thing you need to get to the top is tons and tons of money. I've been wanting to check out this movie, might have to do it this weekend.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Hdale85
                    I've been wanting to check out this movie, might have to do it this weekend.
                    It's worth seeing even though I felt it was politically slanted. And though they make her look stupid, I can see why some, like Nigel, would feel sympathy for her. I certianly did. But I agree with you. She is more intelligent than a lot of people think.
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• bigburner
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2005

I never thought Sarah Palin was stupid, just ignorant.

Nigel.

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Again she's not really ignorant either, she's quite intelligent it's just how the media made her look.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Hdale85
                          Again she's not really ignorant either, she's quite intelligent it's just how the media made her look.
                          When you're in the limelight, say something that's incorrect and the media will jump on it. They seemed to take great joy in doing that to Sarah.
                          My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

Ohhhhhhhhh.... I saw it last week, and did not like it. Yes, I was hoping for a "drama documentary" of the election, but I think your description George of it as a "character assassination" is fairly accurate. I have personally met several of the real-life people depicted in the film, and I do agree that the acting was generally top-notch. Possible exception is Ed Harris, who is a very good actor, and I thought did very well in this movie, too. But Senator McCain is one of the people that I've had time with in person, and maybe Ed Harris doesn't do impressions, but I thought he didn't really capture the voice and mannerisms of McCain.

As the film "agenda" gradually became more and more prominent, I got turned off. Was disappointed.
                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2001

Chris, I understand the same filmmakers are planning on doing something similiar about the Obama/ Mitt Romney campaign. I wonder if this will be slanted, too ?
                              My Homepage!

Comment

• Hdale85
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

Well much of Hollywood and the media are very liberal biased, granted I can't tell which side is less liberal anymore lol. Either way it's not that hard to imagine if the next one will be slanted.

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

Chris, I understand the same filmmakers are planning on doing something similiar about the Obama/ Mitt Romney campaign. I wonder if this will be slanted, too ?
                                  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Gee, I wonder!?! I'm just guessing, but I think the President will be portrayed as a god, and the Governor as a train wreck.
                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Chris D
                                    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Gee, I wonder!?! I'm just guessing, but I think the President will be portrayed as a god, and the Governor as a train wreck.
                                    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
                                    My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"