X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Big Miracle

Watched this with the family. I was so-so on it at first, but it finished strong with me. I probably would not have picked up this movie, except we had a particular connection with the film since it's one of the few recent movies to actually be filmed in Alaska.

The film is based on a true story, which makes parts of it pretty powerful just by itself. The story also has some deep social and political roots, and those issues are fully shown as well. There were times were I was flat out pissed and shouting at the screen because of political propaganda that the characters were spouting. But it wasn't so much that the movie itself pursued a particular agenda, (some may say it did, but looking at it overall I don't quite think so) but that the various agendas were actually presented. I suppose it's fair to say that I think to tell this story, you'd actually have to address the various agendas. Are they done so fairly? Perhaps. As an example, big oil is presented as big oil, absolutely vilified at some points, but then in others you could say that they're also defended.

Yes, there are parts that are emotionally hokey, but in all honestly there were several parts that did choke me up, and were emotionally touching. A feel good movie of sorts. I thought my kids would love it. My 8 year old liked it, but my 3 year old wasn't very interested.

Bottom line, I give it :4: out of :5: Worth a watch.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
Working...
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"