X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

The Ledge

I watched this on Stars (or something) on DirecTV last night. Didn't know a thing about it, but just something that was on at the time. A few notable stars in the film, like Terrence Howard and Liv Tyler, both of whom I've been impressed with as actors. I actually found this to be a decent movie, with some provoking thoughts. Fairly well set up, with a decent story.

The movie starts with Terrence Howard as a crisis negotiator for the police, who is called when a man is seen on the ledge of a roof, (hence the movie title) contemplating a suicide jump. He starts to talk to the man, and we begin to discover things about both of their lives.

The movie explores aspects of the human condition, faith, sin, sexuality, freedom, love, and need. Over the course of the film, the story has several twists, mostly character driven, and I became quite interested in the characters. The acting was pretty well done, but it was the story, themes, and character exploration that really rose to the top. And no, I did NOT find it interesting just because any theme may have agreed with my particular theology. On the contrary, I often am most attracted to movies that present other points of view, but do so in a way that makes you think.

I was emotionally impacted by the conclusion of the film, and overall enjoyed it quite a bit. Not the best I've seen, but I would recommend it to those also enjoying movies that make you think a bit (not excessively introspective this time) and are character-driven. Above average for a film on today's age. I give it :4: out of :5:
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

You're not known for handing out 5 stars very often, Chris. Since I am attracted to character driven films, I will put this on my future viewing list. One questioin, though. My emotions are pretty vulnerable right now, so I avoid films that are too downbeat. Knowing this, would you still recommend this one to me ?
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Good question, George, and *NO*, I specifically would not recommend this film in that particular case.

Just to make sure that mini-review appears right, I rated it 4 stars out of 5.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Chris D
        Good question, George, and *NO*, I specifically would not recommend this film in that particular case.

Just to make sure that mini-review appears right, I rated it 4 stars out of 5.
        Sorry about the rating. I was looking in the wrong area.

As for the movie, thanks for the advice. I'll pass on it for now.
        My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"