DVD review: Somewhere

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • madmac
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2010
    • 3122

    #1

    DVD review: Somewhere

    "Somewhere" is a Sophia Coppola film and I've gotta' say, something doesn't work here!. Here style of directing is simply 'off' in a number of ways. Scenes are filmed WAY too long and the movie lacks cohesion and direction in it's flow.

    The plot is weak as well and the film basically goes nowhere!. However, it's the irritating way this film is shot that gets to me!!.

    Maybe Sophia should get some lessons from her dad I think !!??

    5/10 stars........stay away unless you like risks !! :scratchhead:
    Dan Madden :T
  • madmac
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2010
    • 3122

    #2
    Oh ya and one other thing since there are very many video quality freaks here on this forum.

    The video quality completely SUCKS as well. Just warning you !! :-)
    Dan Madden :T

    Comment

    • George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001
      • 7636

      #3
      I'm gonna pass on this, as I wasn't really impressed with her other film, The Virgin Suicides.
      My Homepage!

      Comment

      • madmac
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2010
        • 3122

        #4
        @George....especially you with you're big projection set up!. Your setup will destroy the poor video quality of this presentation. I'll be almost unwatchable on it to be honest!.
        Dan Madden :T

        Comment

        • Chris D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2000
          • 16875

          #5
          Yeah, in general, I don't like Sophia Coppola movies. Only possible exception is "Lost in Translation". Every time I watch it, I can't decide if I really like it, or hate it.
          CHRIS

          Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

          Comment

          • madmac
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2010
            • 3122

            #6
            This one is substantially worse than 'Lost in Translation', which by the way, I was not overly impressed by either. I'm just not a fan of her work to date.....period!. She has to learn the meaning of the word "CUT......THAT'S A TAKE".....and move one to the next scene. :W
            Dan Madden :T

            Comment

            • George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001
              • 7636

              #7
              I didn't see Lost In Translation. Forgot it was one of hers.
              My Homepage!

              Comment

              • Ovation
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004
                • 2204

                #8
                I actually quite liked Lost in Translation but more for Bill Murray's performance than for any directorial style by Coppola. Haven't seen any of her other films and wasn't planning to watch this one.

                Comment

                Related Topics

                Collapse

                • Jason Whyte
                  2001 Film List
                  by Jason Whyte
                  2001 Film List
                  Last Updated: November 28th, 2001

                  This is a port from the HTF so bear with me for mistakes and goofups, I'll fix them as they come along.

                  Ratings to be added week of 11/23: Out Cold
                  Next week additions posted...
                  26 November 2001, 12:35 Monday
                • Joey_V
                  Preliminary review of the 802Di, 800Di.... but mostly the Wilson Sophia 3 vs Sasha 2.
                  by Joey_V
                  As some of you know, I've been searching for my next pair of speakers. My budget for the speaker goes to $50,000. Which is basically Wilson Alexia category. Every speaker I've heard is SOTA... but there are so many different flavors.

                  Most recently, I've heard the 800 Diamonds (paired...
                  21 March 2014, 23:53 Friday
                • js24
                  802D vs. wilson Sophia
                  by js24
                  Has anyone compared these two head to head?

                  I'm comparing the 802Ds against other manufacturers (i.e. aerial, Martin Logan wilson).. I'm not sure which one to get yet but leaning to toward the wilson sophia at this point...

                  thanks for your input
                  08 July 2005, 09:30 Friday
                • Ovation
                  Star Trek Beyond--most TOS-like film yet of the three new ones (or even the old ones)
                  by Ovation
                  If you're a Trek fan (even if you're not warm to the new ones), you should find Beyond entertaining. I read somewhere (a review or a post on a forum--can't remember where exactly) that Beyond is a film that would slot in with the TOS films of the 80s, if only they'd had the tech/budgets back then. A...
                  27 July 2016, 18:22 Wednesday
                • George Bellefontaine
                  An early 60's R&R film worth seeing
                  by George Bellefontaine
                  It's Eddie and The Cruisers. It was released in 1983 and concerns an early 60's rock and roll group called Eddie and The Cruisers.The leader of the group disappears just at the height of the group's popularity. There was a car accident but his body was never found. A few years later there is renewed...
                  31 October 2001, 13:30 Wednesday
                • Loading...
                • No more items.
                Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

                  Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

                  Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"