X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • june
    • Feb 2005

Burlesque

hello all,

this is worth a rental, not a purchase. the same old story but the PQ & AUDIO was ;x( !!!!!!!!
    June
    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I enjoy any kind of musical so I'll probably buy it.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

After seeing that multiple reviewers did NOT like this movie, I went into it with lowered expectations. However, I ended up thinking it was a decent movie. Far from greatness, but not bad at all. Yes, the plot is nothing special, and the acting is just okay. But overall, it's a good little flick, with some great music. I don't like musicals where music is thrown in just for the sake of having music. (I often wish true musicals would stop singing EVERY line, just because EVERYTHING has to be in song) But I can very much appreciate good music when I hear it.

More than that, I absolutely LOVE movies (and documentaries, etc) that show great artists really showing their talent. I get a huge smile on my face when I watch movies like "Blues Brothers", and scenes happen where multiple great artists really jam together, making great music. Well, "Burlesque" covers the spectrum. Some of the music I thought was ho-hum, just entertaining fillers. But then there were a few scenes that were AWESOME. Say what you want about Cher--she's got some talent. And for some time now, I have thought that Christina Aguilera was severely underrated as a singer. (personally, I don't think she applies her own singing ability to enough of the right songs and styles where she really shines) That girl has some PIPES on her. (and her voice isn't bad either...) [rimshot] I actually got chills from a couple of parts where she really belts it out.

So, I'm glad I watched it, and I'll gladly watch it again sometime later. Probably not a purchase for me, but it was enjoyable. :35: out of :5:
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

I bought this on blu-ray and watched it the other night. Story was just so-so, but the video eye candy and the outstanding audio was a marvel to behold. With my setup, which includes two subs, the bump and grind audio was such that I felt I was there in the club. I like musicals so I'll definitely watch this again. And as Chris stated, that Christina Aguilera has one helluva set of pipes. And she's easy on the eyes, too. All the gals were, for that matter.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

My take is that musicals are risky at best!!. You either like these kinda' things or hate them. I have typically hated them. I'm gonna' pass on this one!.
          Dan Madden :T

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

I go way back, madmac, to the days of the great musicals from MGM, Fox, etc. I long for those days again and there have been some, Chicago for example, that came close to the good old days. So I eat up every musical that comes out these days, good bad or indifferent.
            My Homepage!

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
              I go way back, madmac, to the days of the great musicals from MGM, Fox, etc. I long for those days again and there have been some, Chicago for example, that came close to the good old days. So I eat up every musical that comes out these days, good bad or indifferent.

George....Have you seen the movie "The Commitments". Now THAT was a great musical !. I would love to see that on Blu ray if it's available (probably not).

"Amadeus" of course is a masterpiece :T
              Dan Madden :T

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Originally posted by madmac
                George....Have you seen the movie "The Commitments". Now THAT was a great musical !. I would love to see that on Blu ray if it's available (probably not).

"Amadeus" of course is a masterpiece :T
                I own both of the above on dvd. I'll eventually buy Amadeus on Blu-ray. I don't know if there are any plans on releasing The Commitments on blu-ray but I will certianly buy it if it does get a release. It is a favortite of mine.
                My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"