X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Kill Bill

Anyone seen this yet. I know it won't be for everyone. It is ultra-violent. Yet, for me, it was a great Quentin Tarantino flick, with absolutely fantastic use of camera angles, black and white sequences, anime and some of the most amazing martial arts choreography I've ever had the pleasure of watching. Liked it so much that, as soon as I was finished, I went out and saw part II and liked that even more. Tarantino gives tribute to many in both pictures, but, in part II, a huge nod of the cap is paid to David Carrodine and his old role in Kung Fu, one of my old favorties.

So, not for some, but a definite big thumbs up from this here fan of martial arts pics. I want to reiterate that I feel Tarantino is a master director and uses music, imo, better than anyone since Kubrick.

Keith
    Keith
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I picked this up today, Keith and am looking forward to watching it either this weekend or early next week. I just know I'm gonna like this film, just as I've liked everything Tarantino has done.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Was debating on this one but I too find Tarantino's style of directing quite refreshing. So that + your glowing review's giving me the itch (The fact tha Uma Thurman and Lucy Lieu are in it don't hurt either :P )

Now the girlfriend already let me buy Schindler's List and the final Matrix this week so we'll see if she lets me get this one too 8O

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
      Jason

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

He pays a lot of tributes to things like spagetti westerns, 60's style rock, and, of course, Hong Kong style martial arts movies. Be interested if you guys like this picture. I kept asking myself why it wasn't at least nominated for cinematography and score as both these thrilled me to no end.

Keith
        Keith

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Well I went out and bought it and the girlfriend and I watched it two nights ago

Totally agree with Tarantino and his use of music, he's one of the best I too liked the movie, the animation and B&W touches and over all style of the movie was visually stunning and engaging. The only part of the movie I wasn't too big on and that kinda of took me out of the story (man I hate it when that happens :x ) was the just too cheesy 20' blood spraying :roll: I'd be enjoying the choreography and great sets the costumes and sounds and story and then that would happen :roll:

I DON'T LIKE BLATANT "YOU'RE WATCHING A MOVIE" THINGS IN A MOVIE :evil:

Other than that the movie was great How about that Pussy Wagon! lol (Apparently Tarantino's now driving that around as his regular mode of transportation...lol)

Also is it just me or does Uma have some ugly feet? 8O

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
          Jason

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

Originally posted by aud19
            Also is it just me or does Uma have some ugly feet?
            You're saying you have ugly feet, too? :>)

I'm waiting for "Kill Bill: Volume 2" to hit DVD, because I'm betting that Best Buy will have a special price if you buy both "Kill Bills" at once. As is typical with their "deals", you don't get the super-deep discount if you've previously purchased one of the items -- it has to be on the same receipt. So I'll just watch some "real" anime in the meantime. :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

I bought it for 5 bucks. I Figured for 5 bucks, how could I go wrong?

Now your wondering how did I buy it for 5 bucks? My daughter works at a combined video/tanning store. I've gotten many 5.00 deals lately. It rocks!

Lex
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Danbry39
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Sep 2002

Jason, I was thinking the same thing. The camera sure lingered though. He had Uma barefooted in the great dance scene in Pulp Fiction too and I recall a lot of barefeet in Jackie Brown as well.

That said, Uma is just fine for me, feet and all. Yes sir, I'll readily admit a profound attraction to Uma. Wasn't she Timothy Leary's adopted daughter or something? If nobody else is interested, I'll happily claim her. If someone else is interested, we'll flip over the right to fantacize.
                Keith

Comment

• Danbry39
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Sep 2002

Oh, and Burke, Kill Bill and Reservoir Dogs were the special at Best Buys the week it came out. It was one of their two for $20 deals, although I imagine the same will hold true for KBI/KBII when KBII comes out. What a violent movie watching weekend I had with KBI, KBII, and Reservoir Dogs, which is anything but comic book in its treatment of violence like KBI and II.
                  Keith

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Here's a link to the review thread in At The Movies.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Just watched this on the weekend.
                      We had rented it.
                      I loved it as well as all the fight scenes which were well done.
                      Were definately going to buy this one. :yesnod:
                      Uma played her role perfectly. She was awesome to watch.
                      Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

Man I gotta find time to watch my copy. Too busy over the weekend setting up my new Parttquake sub. I'm also eager to watch Master and Commander.

As for Uma, like Keith, I will gladly adopt her, feet and all.
                        My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

Hey guys don't get me wrong, Uma's yummy :P Let's just say if I was with her she'd be wearing socks....lol

George, can't wait to hear more thoughts on your new sub! :T

Jason
                          Jason

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2001

Right on, Jason.
                            My Homepage!

Comment

• Dean McManis
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • May 2003

I liked the movie, and thought that it was stylish and fun to watch, despite the gore.
                              And as planned, I now need to watch Vol.2 ASAP to find out how it ends...

-Dean.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2001

Okay, watched it last night. Really enjoyed it, especially the fighting stuff but really thought the blood thing was a little ridiculous. Tarantino definitely has a foot fetish thing about women. Music was really great. My sub handled everything beautifully.
                                My Homepage!

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                  • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Danby39
                                  Kill Bill and Reservoir Dogs were the special at Best Buys the week it came out.
                                  Since I already have Reservoir Dogs, that deal wasn't "special" for me. :>) So I'm still waiting for the Kill Bills to show up together in some sort of "buy both" deal. Or, if a local rental outlet unloads their vast inventory of KB1 copies at a give-away price, I might go for that.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Glen
                                    • Dec 2003

5 buck movies, way to go Lex!.

I think I'll wait and rent both I and II together.

Comment

• Lex
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Apr 2001

Violent is definitely the word. Even though I don't typically go for to much gore, I did still enjoy the flick. Your right, Uma's feet aren't the best looking. But I think if I was with her, the feet would be the last thing I was looking at. :E

Lex
                                      Doug
                                      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• John Holmes
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

Quentin has a unique vision when it comes to film making. One that is refreshing for me. I too think he is a master of finding the perfect mood setting music. Good flick!
                                        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"