X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Braveheart on Blu-ray

Stepping up to Blu-ray from a laserdisc copy of Braveheart is like having cataracts removed. All I can say is Paramount did a huge job in their hi-def transfer because at times I swear I was there in the middle of the battle. The audio, too, is something else. Lots of activity in the surrounds as armor clinks, men scream, etc.,etc. I never did upgrade the LD to DVD and it has been several years since I last watched Braveheart so last night was a real treat. If you are a fan of this film, by all means go out and get the Blu-ray version. It is worth every penny.
    My Homepage!
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

I agree, it is a good transfer, to me though some of the "metal on metal" sounds are too sharp and somewhat fake sounding to me (where I didn't think that in the DVD release).

The picture quality is as good as one can expect for a movie of it's age. Definitely not as pristine as the new digital releases, but it's definitely a step up over the DVD release!

Plus it's a great movie... what more reason do you need to upgrade it!
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

If you can believe it, I'm still currently soldiering on with my widescreen VHS copy (though only on my SD CRT--it's not watchable with my front projector). I would have added this to the shelf already, but I've placed it on a list of potential "stocking stuffers", so it's either at Christmas (or shortly after if it isn't in the stocking) but it will be in the collection.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Originally posted by PewterTA
        some of the "metal on metal" sounds are too sharp and somewhat fake sounding to me (where I didn't think that in the DVD release).
        Since I've never owned the dvd I can't comment on its audio quality. But I do know the Blu-ray audio ( and plain vanilla DD 5.1 in my system ) was a huge leap over the Laserdisc AC3 Dolby Surround, so those sounds of metal on metal sounded pretty real to me. Also, the surround information was also much improved over the Laserdisc. I felt I was in the middle of those battle scenes.
        My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"