X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

The Adventures Of Robin Hood ( 1938 )

I picked this up on Blu-ray last week and got around to watching it last night. All I can say about the PQ is WOW ! I was 2 years old when this was released in theaters and by the time I was old enough to appreciate seeing it in a theater, the picture was well worn and filled with streaks. Seeing this in hi-def is probably like seeing it during its first showing on film. Clean, crisp, and downright gorgeous. I am so happy with this purchase.

BTW, this is the best version ever made of Robin Hood, starring Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland and Basil Rathbone as the evil Sir Guy.

If you never seen this before, rent it ( or buy it ) on Blu-ray and give yourself a treat.
    Last edited by George Bellefontaine; 11 September 2008, 10:07 Thursday.
    My Homepage!
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

I have the HD DVD and it is spectacular. I really like the option "A Night at the Movies" with the newsreel, cartoon and so on. A must have in any serious film collector's library.

Comment

• H.T.C
      • Nov 2003

Does the color still look good on that print ?

I remember viewing the movie on amc and it did not appear the two- strip technocolor (i believe thats the format) had a negative aspect at all.

On blu-ray must be even better !
      Robert

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Originally posted by H.T.C
        Does the color still look good on that print ?
        Absolutely. It's hard to believe that a 70 year old film can look so good.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Yeah, I Netflixed it on HD-DVD. Thought it was decent, although understandably cheezy, given the age of the film.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Bob
            • Jul 2000

The color still looks good because it was Technicolor 3 strip. The dyes they used are still holding up. That's why movies like Gone With The Wind and Robin Hood still look amazing after all this time, without the need for digital correction.

There are only two negatives in regarding picture quality for these old Technicolor movies. At that time it was the only color film available so the studios and cameramen were at the mercy of the film company. Technicolor demanded that the cinematographer used high foot candles and low contrast. They had a woman, whose name I have forgotten, that would go to the sets and measure the lights to make sure that these rules were being adhered to. The great cinematographer, James Wong Howe, was banned from the industry for 10 years because he ignored Technicolors rules and used low light levels with high contrast. Creating the same dark dramatic images that he was famous for when using black and white. This is why so many Technicolor films look overly vibrant. Even the lipstick colors and wardrobe colors were dictated by the Technicolor company. You can't help but notice the use of very vibrant primary colors used in many of those films.

The second negative is really sad. In the early days of TV, late forties until the early sixties, of course there was only black and white. TV was mostly live and there wasn't enough programing to fill the day (TV stations went off the air at night for those of you to young to remember). So, the stations would purchase these older films to show in the evenings. Since TV was black and white the networks didn't want to go through the expense of keeping all three negatives that made up the colored film. So, they would throw two away and only keep one. Because of this many Technicolor films will never be seen the way they originally were. Even digital restoration doesn't recreate the look of the original film.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Wow. Thank you Bob for all that interesting information. I see what you are saying about the vibrant colors of those old technicolor prints.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• H.T.C
                • Nov 2003

Yeah,that was cool but i dont know where i got that 2-strip color from,sorry about that.

I dont know much about the golden age of television or (radio for that matter) although i have family members that do.
                Robert

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Originally posted by H.T.C

I dont know much about the golden age of television or (radio for that matter) although i have family members that do.
                  You would if you were an old fart like me, Robert ...
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• P-Dub
                    Office Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Wow, this is one of my favourite films. I wonder how it looks on 'regular' dvd.

But another good reason to buy a BR player.
                    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• H.T.C
                      • Nov 2003

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                      You would if you were an old fart like me, Robert ...
                      Lol, i think some of the (am) stations are replaying the 1950(s) lights out show.
                      Robert

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Paul Wu
                        Wow, this is one of my favourite films. I wonder how it looks on 'regular' dvd.

But another good reason to buy a BR player.
                        It wasn't available in my area when it was relased on dvd,Paul , but I read a review on it somewhere and they say the dvd transfer was stunning as well.
                        My Homepage!

Comment

• bigburner
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2005

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                          BTW, this is the best version ever made of Robin Hood, starring Errol Flynn
                          I wouldn't argue with you George but who could ever forget Richard Greene?

Nigel.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2001

Oh, yes, I do recall the tv series. I feel that the 1938 film version is best ( even though as Chris said, it's cheesy ) because it was one of the top adventure films of its day and set the course for future versions of Rob Hood. Of course, by today's standards, it probably leaves a lot to be desired. Yet, Kevin Costner's version, even though I am a big fan of his, didn't do much for me.
                            My Homepage!

Comment

• Gump
                              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by bigburner
                              ... who could ever forget Richard Greene?

Nigel.
                              Mercifully, I had until now....
                              Thanks Nigel.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"