X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

THE TAKE ...a goodie that fell through the cracks

Here's another one of those little Indie nuggets that slipped through the cracks. The Take stars John Leguizamo as an armored car driver, trying desperately to make ends meet for his wife ( Rosie Perez ) and two children. When a heist, led by Tyrese Gibson, almost kills Leguizamo and leaves him with some brain damage, and a potential suspect, he must clear his name and get his life back. Bobby Cannavale plays an FBI agent that suspects Leguizamo at first, but becomes sympathetic when he begins to believe the suspect may indeed be innocent. There are quite a few dramatic moments, especially as Rosie Perez tries to hold their marriage together as John has become angry, moody and reliant on pain killers. Excellent acting by all the above mentioned and a taut, well told story with a climax that will leave you breathless.

The film was an official selection at the 2007 Toronto Film Festival. It was directed by Brad Furman, one I am not familiar with. He choose to film this with a lot of grain, to get , I suspect, a gritty East LA look. In the early part of the film, the hand-held camera stuff is a little overdone, but this tapers off as the film progresses . Auido is mostly front channel stuff except when guns come into play and the LFE kicks in.

All in all, I really liked this film and feel badly that it has not gotten much attention. If you like gritty crime/dramas with a true-to-life feel, then go for this one.
    :T
    Last edited by George Bellefontaine; 15 July 2008, 10:13 Tuesday.
    My Homepage!
Working...
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"