X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • saurabh
    • Feb 2005

Flyboys

Its one of those enjoyable movies that I have seen after a long time.

Its based on WWI and the newly invented flying machines converted to Flying war machines. The story has a mix of everything, and when It ends, I was wondering, why did it.

The DVD (Region1, Widescreen) Picture Quality is extremely good, picture is crisp and sharp with carefully choosen locales and with all those guns firing and planes flying around, it can be used as a Demo disc also i.e. Sound Quality is also good too.(DD 5.1/DTS).

Its "inspired" from a True Story and is a must to watch.
    Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I'm going to buy it. But something is bothering me. Walmart has it displayed but the cover says widescreen and the back where it shows aspect ratio is showing 1:33 rather than the original cinematic 2:35. Anyone else notice this ? And is this just a printing error or is the disc actually Full Screen ( 1:33 ) rather than widescreen ?
    My Homepage!

Comment

• cobbpa
      • Apr 2005

Amazon shows two versions and lists them both as 2.35. Of course, they could always be mistaken as well.

Comment

• H.Donald
        • Aug 2004

I enjoyed the movie,and am looking forward to picking up the DVD.

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

I saw this a BBuster, but put it back. I guess I'll have to pick it up and check it out. Rottentomatoes, didn't rate it very well, however.

How is the PQ and SQ?

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• digital desire
            • Dec 2006

Is the movie supposed to reflect the book?
            The book is about WW2 for the most part, and was one of the most intense reads I have ever had the good fortune to come across. And I have read more than my fair share of books!
            Peter
            Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by digital desire
              Is the movie supposed to reflect the book?
              The book is about WW2 for the most part, and was one of the most intense reads I have ever had the good fortune to come across. And I have read more than my fair share of books!
              I haven't read the book or seen the movie, but I know the movie is about WWI air battles. So if it is from the book, they took A LOT of liberties changing it to a different war and such..

Kevin D.

Comment

• saurabh
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Azeke
                How is the PQ and SQ?

Azeke
                Both are excellent. WS region 1 version has both DD5.1 and DTS.

Comment

• Azeke
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by saurabh
                  Both are excellent. WS region 1 version has both DD5.1 and DTS.
                  Excellent, Thank-you.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Watched it last night. My fears about the wrong OAR were for naught. The case said widescreen 1:33 but it was the theatrical 2:35 thanks heavens. Now I really enjoyed this movie, though I can see why some may have disliked it. The story was weak at times ( the love story was superfluous ) and there were factual errors, but for me the action and sound more than made up for it. Glad I bought it.
                    Oh, and for what it's worth, the film is based on the adventures of Layfayette Escadrille during WW 1, during which many young Americans became their country's first fighter pilots, even though they were fighting with the French. The screen credits are thus: Screenplay by Phil Sears, David Ward and Blake T. Evans. Evans is also credited with the story idea. This was not based on a book, only on some true events in history.
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• mitch57
                      • Nov 2004

I too enjoyed this movie. I'm glad I made the purchase.
                      Mitch
                      :stupidpc:

Comment

• audioqueso
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Nov 2004

Just watched this movie the other day. PQ and SQ were amazing! Definitely agree with Saurabh in that this could definitely be a demo disc. Though the movie was good, there was a very strange aspect to it. Most good movies fail in the same general area; great story but doesn't give the characters any depth. This movie seemed to be the opposite. They did a great job with all the characters. Strong story with each character, but the plot of the movie itself was pretty bland. Did anyone feel this way as well? Out of all the pilots, they didn't skim on any of them. Very good on that part... it just seems as if that's all they did and slacked on the storyline itself.
                        B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Nick M
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Nov 2004

I felt that the film lacked focus and a core plot as well. Felt like I was watching a jumble of All Quiet on the Western Front and Pearl Harbor.

Considering one of the key componenets of this film is aviation, the CGI people could have used a technical advisor on flight dynamics as well. There are scenes where planes were damaged and rolled the wrong direction. I also thought that Jean Reno was a poor casting choice. In many films he has become the "fill-in" for any position involving someone French.

I watched half of it, got bored, then forced myself to watch the other half later on. Wasn't my cup of tea.

:25: out of :5:
                          ~Nick

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

I watched this last night on Blu-Ray. Yes, SQ and particularly PQ were great. I enjoyed the "love of flying" and nostalgia that the movie showed. However, I really felt like the movie lacked a fully developed plot, especially about that great of a subject. Was too superficial. Some of the stuff just had me rolling my eyes. I wavered at different points between really disliking the movie or being mildly amused.

In the end, I'll give it :3: out of :5:. If I wasn't an aviation enthusiast, I probably would give it lower.
                            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                            - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Chris D
                              I watched this last night on Blu-Ray. Yes, SQ and particularly PQ were great. I enjoyed the "love of flying" and nostalgia that the movie showed. However, I really felt like the movie lacked a fully developed plot, especially about that great of a subject. Was too superficial. Some of the stuff just had me rolling my eyes. I wavered at different points between really disliking the movie or being mildly amused.

In the end, I'll give it :3: out of :5:. If I wasn't an aviation enthusiast, I probably would give it lower.
                              I was curious what you thought about it, Chris. I have to agree on the weak plot but I really enjoyed watching those planes buzz around and I'll watch it several times again. I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff. I've suffered through 5 viewings of Pearl Harbour just because I loved certain scenes.
                              My Homepage!

Comment

• wkhanna
                                Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

I watched it last night. I just finished a new set of mains (Nat P’s and known locally as my ‘Twins”) from the Mission Accomplished section of our wonderful site, so it was a real treat in SQ dept.

I have to agree with comments sighting a rather thin plot while curiously having a lot of depth to the characters. I also liked the fact the ‘Love’ plot was not the typical Hollywood line ‘and they lived happily ever after’.

Technical realism was stretched to the limit in some instances, most issues already stated and I will add that as in so many similar genre films, nobody ever seems to run out of bullets?!?!

Still, one must accept the ‘fantasy factor’ that is intended in such a film as this, and when judged as such, I must admit, I did quite enjoy it.

I score it 3 ½ out of 5, and if I find it used for ~$6, I will add it to my library.
                                _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• saurabh
                                  • Feb 2005

Some movies just need to be enjoyed without going much into the technicalities, facts etc, this is one of those flicks........btw how many movies in Hollywood are correct to the core and real ....I really wonder......just enjoy!!!

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"