So how are HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs turning out after release?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

So how are HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs turning out after release?

I haven't really seen that much talk about HD-DVD and Blu-Ray results, now that at least HD-DVD is out. Is there someplace to get information about the specific discs? Here's some questions that I have:

- Is the picture quality noticeably better?
    - Is the sound quality noticeably better?
    - Are the new discs actually being released with the new sound formats of DD+, DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD, etc, or are they only carrying the older standard formats?
    - What resolution is each disc being released with? (I heard that early movies are only coming out in 1080i)

Other general opinions on the results?
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Andrew M Ward
    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Chris Dotur
    I haven't really seen that much talk about HD-DVD and Blu-Ray results, now that at least HD-DVD is out. Is there someplace to get information about the specific discs? Here's some questions that I have:

- Are the new discs actually being released with the new sound formats of DD+, DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD, etc, or are they only carrying the older standard formats?
    - What resolution is each disc being released with? (I heard that early movies are only coming out in 1080i)

And the consumer says:

Crickets...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Like Chris, I too am interested. But I fear the launch will not go well . Just too darn confusing for ordinary folk.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Race Car Driver
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Nope, the HD DVD players are just selling out everywhere, Tosh cant keep up with the demand.
        B&W

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
          Nope, the HD DVD players are just selling out everywhere, Tosh cant keep up with the demand.
          Depends on who you talk to...
          Because Toshiba loses about $300 dollars every time they sell one they're not really cranking it up just yet...

we have 80 million target consumers in the US, I would imagine they should sell some...

Comment

• Shane Martin
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2001

Answers:
            Is SQ Better? Yes
            Is PQ Better? Yes
            New Audio? Yes
            Resolution: 1080P but the player is restricting the output down to 1080I via component or HDMI.

Will these discs play in my current player? No not yet. Hybrid discs are coming that will enable you to do this so you don't need to double dip. The MSRP on these discs will be a tad steep at $39. That is MSRP not street price.

God bless Netflix which is renting these discs

Comment

• Vinny
              • Mar 2006

Here's what I've seen so far since the toshiba players are around:

Picture quality does increased, but do most consumers noticed about it? I highly doubt it.
              Sound quality is still way beyond most of the consumer's consideration still, primarily they are still using HTIB or even TV speakers. Plus you can't even hear the difference in most electronic shops like BB.

Besides, most of the people who just bought their HDTV/EDTV a while ago which is 3years or lesser. How long did a general household's TV last? The TV in my parent's home before the new LCD was a Sony Trinitron which lasted 10years. Would they throw away the LCD which bought 2years ago and get a new TV just for 1080p? I do not think they will as they are not quality freak but normal consumer.

Another problem which I can foresee for my situation right now: Can you share HD-DVD as easy as DVD? I borrow my friends' DVDs sometimes and so as they. Many of them are just watching the DVDs on computers which there is no HD-DVD/BR drive around yet. And most are using laptops which are expensive to replace a disk drive, not to mention backward compatibility with CD/DVD which have to read computer files.
              This will just force people to stay with DVDs, perhaps getting hybrid disks at most if they are affordable.
              Pioneer KRP-500M
              Emotiva UMC-1
              Parasound 5125
              Oppo BDP-83
              Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
              SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

I was thinking about the computer issue too, last night. I figure I'll wait to buy/build my next computers until next year, when Windows Vista should be standardized, as well as Blu-Ray and HD-DVD drives are fully incorporated into computers.
                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Shane Martin
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Apr 2001

Picture quality does increased, but do most consumers noticed about it? I highly doubt it.
                  Unfortunately the big box stores do a poor job of displaying it. All of their TV sets are not calibrated either. They are torch mode settings and of course their sales reps are really happy to sell you a warranty on the new set but claim ignorance(99% of the time) on what calibration is.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Chris Dotur

Perceived picture quality is display and viewing distance dependent. For a 1080i/P capable display, it's pretty stunning. (BTW, Sony DSC-R1 10.3 MP camera, shooting in RAW)

On a display that doesn't do accurate 1080i de-interlacing, such as the "bobbing" ones talked about at Home Theater magainze, or ones down converting, it will seem less differentiated from DVD.

The sound quality is the best I've heard in my HT; less "reproduced" sounding, more like what you hear with DVD-A or SACD, compared to DTS or DD. It's a very clear and audible step up. Even on just Modula MTM's. Sound formats will vary between disks based on format and studio choices. All I've heard are some of the first HD-DVD releases (Serenity, Doom, Apollo 13, The Last Samurai).

HD-DVD Disks are made (to date) using 1080-P24, converted by the player to 1080i30 output, which is what about 98% of available HD displays can handle. Reportedly no vertical filtering is being used. BD players will also offer 1080P output, but if the display de-interlaces properly, this shouldn't be an issue for viewers with 1080i sets. Except those ones that do bobbing de-interlacing. Then, you're screwed. See thread in AV Chalet.

Well, the Toshiba players boot like a PC, because internally it is a PC architecture running Linux from firmware; takes about a minute. Slow response to remote control inputs. You've got to have a little patience with these early Toshiba players, but if you do, the picture is pretty dang nice, and the sound breathtaking on even a MOTR system. That's viewed on a CRT setup with an HDMI to RGBHV converter. Yeah, I know those things don't exist. One could do it with the component outputs, too, as ICT flag isn't set on current releases. Hopefully things will stay that way for those with older sets.

Could be better ergo's and usability overall, but for picture and sound quality (my primary concerns), I give it two thumbs up. Way up. :T
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                    Obi-Wan
                    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

That scene rules!
                      B&W

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                        Perceived picture quality is display and viewing distance dependent. For a 1080i/P capable display, it's pretty stunning. (BTW, Sony DSC-R1 10.3 MP camera, shooting in RAW)

On a display that doesn't do accurate 1080i de-interlacing, such as the "bobbing" ones talked about at Home Theater magainze, or ones down converting, it will seem less differentiated from DVD.

The sound quality is the best I've heard in my HT; less "reproduced" sounding, more like what you hear with DVD-A or SACD, compared to DTS or DD. It's a very clear and audible step up. Even on just Modula MTM's. Sound formats will vary between disks based on format and studio choices. All I've heard are some of the first HD-DVD releases (Serenity, Doom, Apollo 13, The Last Samurai).

HD-DVD Disks are made (to date) using 1080-P24, converted by the player to 1080i30 output, which is what about 98% of available HD displays can handle. Reportedly no vertical filtering is being used. BD players will also offer 1080P output, but if the display de-interlaces properly, this shouldn't be an issue for viewers with 1080i sets. Except those ones that do bobbing de-interlacing. Then, you're screwed. See thread in AV Chalet.

Well, the Toshiba players boot like a PC, because internally it is a PC architecture running Linux from firmware; takes about a minute. Slow response to remote control inputs. You've got to have a little patience with these early Toshiba players, but if you do, the picture is pretty dang nice, and the sound breathtaking on even a MOTR system. That's viewed on a CRT setup with an HDMI to RGBHV converter. Yeah, I know those things don't exist. One could do it with the component outputs, too, as ICT flag isn't set on current releases. Hopefully things will stay that way for those with older sets.

Could be better ergo's and usability overall, but for picture and sound quality (my primary concerns), I give it two thumbs up. Way up. :T

Part 1
                        Weird that the ICT flags are "off" on the first batch of discs... because that will create an expectation that they shall remain "off" but I think we all know that's not true.

The way it's been explained to me component is a dead (virtually dead) Hi-Def connection... so the fact that the ICT flags are disabled shows me that they are scared to act on that declaration...

Part 2
                        Based on you're observations (thank you) now is not a bad time to buy. The price is sure right, I mean if you apply the standard math to the internal parts list on this Toshiba unit $1299 would not be unreasonable, so $500 is crazy good news....

Comment

• Vinny
                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Shane Martin
                          Unfortunately the big box stores do a poor job of displaying it. All of their TV sets are not calibrated either. They are torch mode settings and of course their sales reps are really happy to sell you a warranty on the new set but claim ignorance(99% of the time) on what calibration is.
                          Yea the calibration/torch could be one of the cause. But consumers will not spend the money and test it in home to compare the difference while seeing them performing just ok in store for $500.
                          The consumers usually have some purchasing power and would buy off something when they step into these stores. If the similar quality upon HD-DVD do not impress them, they will go to some other products. Unlike me, I just walk in without plan to buy anything at all whole time :
                          Pioneer KRP-500M
                          Emotiva UMC-1
                          Parasound 5125
                          Oppo BDP-83
                          Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
                          SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

Thanks, John, that's what I needed to hear. With any new technology or better quality product, of course you need high-quality components to fully appreciate it. Just good to hear that if you're using a proper 1080p set, that the HD-DVD DOES make a significant picture difference. And that they ARE using new high-res audio on these, and that on proper audio equipment THAT makes an audio difference.
                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Dean McManis
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • May 2003

I saw a pre-release Samsung Blu-Ray player showing a scene from Kill Bill and simultaneously we saw the same scene on DVD with two side-by-side plasma displays.

The Blu Ray DVD picture was clearly better looking with far more revealed detail and visibly better color.

The three key points here were that the regular DVD was obviously a top-notch, HD mastered transfer, as the upconverted image fooled many of us into thinking that we were looking at a HD-DVD vs. Blu Ray comparison.
                              Also the plasma displays were most likely 1365 X 768 resolution, so we weren't actually seeing all of the 1080p picture, as the image was downconverted to the plasma display's native resolution.
                              Plus we were watching two 42" screens from around 15 feet away, which adds in the limiting factor of our eyesight.

But I'm excited to see both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray DVDs shown on a 100" screen on a 1080p capable display. To really reveal the added picture quality and enhanced resolution of the new media.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"