• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick M
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Aeon Flux

Rented.

I had low hopes for this film, but was entertained for the whole show. The storyline is absolutely fantastic. I also enjoyed the music and costumes... :B

While I think they needed someone borderline anorexic to fit Aeon, Charlize did a great job. Overall it was enjoyable, and I may pick it up when it hit's the $10 rack.

:3: out of :5:
    ~Nick
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

How was the PQ? I saw an add while watching HD last night and it looked pretty stunning :P
    Jason

Comment

• Glen
      • Dec 2003

Wasn't sure if there'd be much difference between these 2 movies. But I figure I'd check em both out eventually. Good to know at least one of thems worth the rental........

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

I was totally hooked when the original ‘toon' was on MTV years ago. Glad to hear it was done well, I really didn’t expect much from this attempt to put her on film. A pleasant surprise.
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• saurabh
          • Feb 2005

Nic, how was the SQ ???
          Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy

Comment

• Nick M
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

PQ was excellent. I didn't have it cranked, so I guess I can't give a complete opinion on the SQ, but it was decent for afternoon viewing.

Ultraviolet I saw in theaters, and it was terrible.
            ~Nick

Comment

• Shane Martin
              Super Senior Member
              • Apr 2001

One of the worst films I've seen this year. Just awful. I don't watch films or like them because of T&A though.

Comment

• Foxman
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Shane Martin
                One of the worst films I've seen this year. Just awful. I don't watch films or like them because of T&A though.
                Aeon Flux or Ultraviolet?
                IMO

My Movies
                Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• Clepto
                  • Feb 2006

WSR rated PQ 4/5 and SQ 4/5 for Aeon Flux

Comment

• Shane Martin
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Apr 2001

AF.

I haven't seen Ultraviolet yet. I will see it only because of the directors relation with his previous film which I liked. This one I expect to be a turd. We always need candidates for crap pizza and beer night. I wouldn't waste a good pizza on something like this.

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Aeon Flux has received some very bad reviews out there, receiving a shocking 10% on the Rotten Tomatometer.

So I too, watched the movie with very low expectations. Overall, I think I'd have to give it a marginal thumbs-down, but it wasn't NEARLY as bad as I had been led to believe. Some good action sequences, and for the most part, the storyline was very, very good, as Nick said.

Yeah, probably worth a rental for a not-so-great-movie night. But don't put it on the top of your list, and don't totally discount the movie either!
                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

I thought this review except was funny on the Rotten Tomatoes site, from Kevin Carr, 7M pictures: "It was so uncomfortable to watch this film, I felt like I was desperately holding back a bout of extreme diarrhea while having dinner with my girlfriends' folks for the first time."

Way overly negative for this film, but still funny.
                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

:lol:
                          B&W

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

Meh, I decided to swing into bestbuy after work and pick it up, $14.99, figured just another one to add to the collection. I was into the cartoon when I was a kid, and i believe I have quite a few recorded on *cough*VHS*cough*
                            I will watch it this weekend.

Also picked up Serenity and Chronicles of Riddick two pack for 19.99 (Serenity seperatly was 19.99, :lol: )
                            B&W

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2001

Well Halle Berry had her Catwoman and now Charlize Theron has her Aeon Flux. But honestly, it wasn't as bad as some would have us believe. I probably fall into the same enjoyment category as Chris Dotour's. I also didn't see this as a T&A film as Shane does. Charlize's outfits were nice and suited her tall, slim model-like figure well, but I didn't think they were overly erotic, just nice on her. As for the PQ, well it was pretty darn stunning projected from my NEC HT1000 on my 92" screen. And the sound was okay. No real over the top low end, but the surrounds got nice workouts at times.

I didn't feel cheated out of my 92 minutes, but glad I only rented it.
                              My Homepage!

Comment

• Nick M
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Nov 2004

Hahaha!
                                I guess I'm the odd-ball out again... :lol:

...Nothing new for me... :B
                                ~Nick

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Nicholas Mosher
                                  Hahaha!
                                  I guess I'm the odd-ball out again... :lol:

...Nothing new for me... :B
                                  Naw, you weren't that far out.

BTW, that picture of Charlize as Aeon in Glen's post was available as a poster with my rental at Blockbuster. It's now hanging in my theater.
                                  My Homepage!

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

I watched it last night, and thought the PQ was GREAT!
                                    It wasnt all that bad, just had to remember what it was based off of... The MTV Cartoon was.... ODD to say the least...

It wasnt the movie of the year or anything like that, but you wont hear me crying for the two hours of my life back like some movies....
                                    B&W

Comment

• FlashJim
                                      • Apr 2006

I just rented this today at lunch. I can't wait to see it. I tend to like movies that others don't.
                                      Jim

Comment

• Marcel54
                                        • Jan 2004

I watched it last night and I think it is much better than I expected based on the reviews I read. Great storyline, nice visuals and Charlize looked gorgious as always (my wife even liked her hair . To compare this one with Catwoman is an insult to Charlize and the movie, boy talking about bad movies :B :B

Marcel

Comment

• Blindamood
                                          • Sep 2003

I finally got around to watching this one over the weekend, thanks to Netflix. (I always see movies well after everyone else does...)

I thought the picture quality was excellent, even if the movie itself was not the best. Sound quality was also very good, with quite a bit of surround activity. Some of the heavy shooting scenes reminded me of the "Lobby Shooting Spree" chaper from The Matrix.

The most interesting part to me, though, was watching one of the special features, which discussed the setting where they filmed it. After searching a number of places for a suitable environment, they finally settled on Berlin (Germany). Several of the sites were leftovers from wartime (e.g., air tunnel used for aircraft engine testing). The scene with the open courtyards and abundance of cherry trees is actually an operating animal shelter.

After seeing this commentary, I want to watch the movie again to appreciate the unique scenery even more.
                                          Brad

Comment

• David Meek
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

I finally got around to Aeon Flux last night. As pointed out earlier, it's got a good premise and is pretty well written. I enjoyed the characters and how the story unfolded. The PQ and SQ were both above average and Charlize Theron is a good actress and always easy on the eyes. Having said all that, the sum was less than the value of all the moving parts. I'm glad I saw it, but it could have been more. I'm not sure just how. . .

:25: out of :5:

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"