X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Two For The Money is a fascinating ...

...look at the wild, crazy, dangerous world of big time gambling. Now this is not a subject that interests me. The extent of my gambling is a 2 buck ride on a lottery ticket every Saturday. So even though this film starred an old favorite of mine, Al Pacino, I continually passed over it on the rental shelves. Then a few days ago I was having a coffee with a friend and discussing the latest gambling scandal involving the National Hockey Leage. He said if I really wanted to see what betting on sports is all about, I should see Two For The Money.

Well, I watched it last night and was glad I did. In it, Pacino plays a gambling addict, fighting his addiction, while running a huge ( and legal in this State) bookie operation. He recruits a former football pro ( Matthew McConaughy) to pick winners for the operation's clients. Pacino moulds and fine-tunes McConaughey and soon the young protege's ability to pick winning football teams takes Pacino's bookie operation to new heights, involving millions of dollars in betting.

But an intriguing subject matter is not enough to make a good story. That needs characters with flaws, and there's no shortage of that here. You have Pacino, playing the ultimate gamble involving McConaughy, and using his ( Pacino's) wife as the pawn. And there's McConaughy who, after a disasterous stretch of picking losers, is compelled to take a long hard look at what has become of his life and his often conflicting relationship with Pacino.

Pacino's over the top acting style is perfect for the character he plays in Two For The Money. And McConaughy, given decent material to work with, shows he can act and hold his own here against the old pro Pacino. The film is a bit over two hours, but it zips along with a great pace. If you like to be fascinated by both story subject and characters, this is a must see.

:4:
    My Homepage!
  • Shane Martin
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2001

Here's my review:

It falls apart towards the end and eventually falls down to a predictable ending. ZZZZZZZZ. Pacino is great at making "almost" good movies. This and the Recruit were too good examples of that. It had potential but quickly faded once McConaghey's character started downhill.
    while running a huge ( and legal in this State) bookie operation.
    Actually they aren't a bookie operation. A bookie will take the bets. Pacino's business only gave advice which is a key plot point. That's why it was legal. If he was a bookie, it was illegal. They made money on their advice.

As I said a missed oppurtunity. The lackluster ending and the way the movie quickly went downhill fast definitely doesn't deserve 4 stars.

Needless to say I do like to read other opinions and appreciate you sharing yours George.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Forgot your review, Shane. Like I said, I originally passed it up because the subject matter didn't interest me. Sorry we can't agree on the picture. For me a definite 4 star event.

Thanks for straightening out the bookie thing. I'm not that clued in on US law.
      My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"