X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlazeMaster
    • May 2004

Any of you seen Ong-Bak yet?

It's a low budget Thai movie, but worth a rental. Thought I should share it with you guys. For those that like Kung Fu or martial art flicks, this is a must-see for this year. You should be able to find it at your local Blockbuster. Not a movie for video or audio reference, but the action sequences in there are definitly worth the rental. Kinda remind me of a young Jackie Chan, but much better. He does his own stunts, and no out-takes for the entire movie.
  • Kens1
    • Mar 2005

My kids started kickboxing last year (age 10 & 6) so this was a purchase for our family. If you like martial art films it is quite good. This movie is subtitled.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

The stunt work in Ong-Bak is amazing. And not just by the lead -- they all "move like they have a purpose". :>) The the language of the DD 5.1 soundtrack is Thai, but since the story is not exactly what I'd call "dialog driven", following the English-language subtitles is not that big a deal.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Clive
        Former Moderator
        • Jan 2002

:agree: His style suits him well and he played the part well too. I am just concerned that he may not be able show us anything new in the future if there is one. The story writers will have to come up with some amazing situations to mask it.

I have added it to my collection already :T Great buy!

:35:
        CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• Shane Martin
          Super Senior Member
          • Apr 2001

Great stunts I agree. No other reason to watch it though. The voice acting was painful!

Comment

• june
            • Feb 2005

His next film was not as good as "OB." Check out this site for all you kung fu people: "kungfufandom.com"
            June
            "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• Burke Strickland
              • Sep 2001

June, By "his next film", are you referring to "Tom yum goong", which those who like Thai cuisine know is also the name of a spectacularly delicious shrimp soup made with chili peppers, lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves (among other ingredients you won't find in a Campbell's can)? :>)

If so, have you actually seen it? In which case it would be interesting to know what about it you found less good than "Ong-Bak". Or are you basing your "not as good" comment on the opinions expressed at that kung fu fan site you mentioned? In which case, having read some of the threads there, I think I'll go try a bowl of that soup. :>)
              Last edited by Burke Strickland; 07 February 2006, 21:56 Tuesday.

Comment

• june
                • Feb 2005

I like more action less story when it come to kung fu films. I thought OB was better. Do you know the name of his 3rd film?
                Also check out "SPL" starring Sammo Hung & Donnie Yen!!!! It can be ordered at dddhouse.com, around $15.00

June
                June

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                  • May 2004

His second movie was not bad either. He kinda took it to the next level on part 2, love that scene where he fights those 30 guys...awesome. I rented part 3...but the disc was scratched so my DVD player was not able to play through the entire movie.

Comment

• june
                    • Feb 2005

part 3?

Hello,

What is part 3?
                    June

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                      • Sep 2001

Do you know the name of his 3rd film?
                      The Bodyguard -- AFAIK, only available on a Region 2 DVD and, of course, you might find a VCD edition out there too.
                      I rented part 3...but the disc was scratched so my DVD player was not able to play through the entire movie.
                      Since Tom Yum Gung has been released on a multi-disc VCD, I wonder if that is how we get a "Part 1", "Part 2, "Part 3"? Or are you referring to his three movies as "Part 1", "Part 2, "Part 3"?

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Ong-Bak is great, loved the fight scenes.
                        B&W

Comment

• Gump
                          • Sep 2005

Just saw it today based on your recommendations. Very impressed with the fighting scenes and stunts. I give it the old :T . In the words of Mr Carl Douglas, "Those kicks were fast as lightening!"

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"